• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top 10 NFL Running Backs

Elzio Dennick

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Could do this by college or pro team, which I thought of doing but decided against that, so this just the best of all time. Not about numbers, it is about ability and dominance. Yes yes everybody gets the era thing but that doesn't change the impact made in these guys playing days. Don Hutson isn't blowing by defenders today like he did in the 30's for obvious reasons.

So with that said.....

1.Jim Brown Browns/Syracuse...6-2 228 when DL were 250
2.Barry Sanders Lions/Oklahoma State
3.Walter Payton Bears/Jackson State
4.Eric Dickerson Rams/SMU
5.O.J.Simpson Bills/USC....ran on a world record 4x1 team while at USC.
6.Adrian Peterson Vikings/Oklahoma
7.Gale Sayers Bears/Kansas....led the nation in the long jump in HS/his older bro Roger a world class sprinter once beat Bob Hayes
8.LaDainian Tomlinson Chargers/TCU
9, Emmitt Smith Cowboys/Florida
10..Marshall Faulk Rams/SDS

What college compares to USC when it comes to running backs with NFL success?

Last edited:
Hell, how about QB;s?

1.Tom Brady Pats/Michigan
2.Joe Montana Niners/ND
3.Peyton Manning Colts/Tennesee
4.Drew Brees Saints/Purdue
5.Aaron Rodgers Packers/Cal
6.Dan Marino Dolphins/Pitt
7.Otto Graham Browns/Northwestern
8.John Unitas Colts/Louisville
9.Brett Favre Packers/So.Miss
10.Russell Wilson Seahawks/Wisconsin

Let me try this by school.....

USC

"Jaguar" Jon Arnett Rams
Frank Gifford Giants HOF
Mike Garrett Chiefs Heisman
O.J.Simpson Bills Heisman/HOF
Charles White Rams Heisman
Matcus Allen Raiders Heismam/HOF
Ricky Bell Buc's
Sam "Bam" Cunningham Pats
Reggie Bush Saints Heisman
Lendale White Titans

What other schools have put 10 RB's in the NFL

Let me try this by school.....

USC

"Jaguar" Jon Arnett Rams
Frank Gifford Giants HOF
Mike Garrett Chiefs Heisman
O.J.Simpson Bills Heisman/HOF
Charles White Rams Heisman
Matcus Allen Raiders Heismam/HOF
Ricky Bell Buc's
Sam "Bam" Cunningham Pats
Reggie Bush Saints Heisman
Lendale White Jags
+Troy Polamalu

+Troy Polamalu

Ya know it wouldn't surprise me if he played some RB in high school.

Well I'll be damn...

Polamalu graduated from Douglas High School in Winston, Oregon. While there, he played high school football.[10] Following his junior season, Polamalu was named to the All-State first team and was the All-Far West League Offensive Most Valuable Player for Douglas High, which achieved a 9–1 record. He rushed for 1,040 yards with 22 touchdowns and had 310 receiving yards. On defense, he made 65 tackles and had eight interceptions. Despite playing in only four games during his senior season due to injury, he was named to the 1998 Super Prep All-Northwest team, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, and the All-Far West League second team. As a two-way player, Polamalu rushed for 671 yards with nine touchdowns and had three interceptions.[citation needed]

Running backs who returns kick?

Would ya believe Jim Brown returned kickoffs early in his career?

Half that list I either didn't see play or were past it when I did (Dickerson). Best I ever saw by far was Barry. Shame he played for the Lions.

Half that list I either didn't see play or were past it when I did (Dickerson). Best I ever saw by far was Barry. Shame he played for the Lions.

As we all know history is big in sports.

In a way we got all those amazing Barry runs because he had no line. He was incredible.

As we all know history is big in sports.

In a way we got all those amazing Barry runs because he had no line. He was incredible.

Lomas Brown made the pro bowl 7 times during Barry's prime. Fringe hall of fame candidate.

Lions were good during this stretch. In 91 they only got embarassed in the NFC title game because they happened to play arguably the greatest football team of all time in the 91 WFT.

Barry's still the GOAT but the idea his OL sucking is responsible for that is inaccurate. QB was the outstanding need on that offense.

Last edited:
Lomas Brown made the pro bowl 7 times during Barry's prime. Fringe hall of fame candidate.

Lions were good during this stretch. In 91 they only got embarassed in the NFC title game because they happened to play arguably the greatest football of all time in the 91 WFT.

Barry's still the GOAT but the idea his OL sucking is responsible for that is inaccurate. QB was the outstanding need on that offense.

This is just one of a ton all saying the same thing more or less....

How good was the offensive lines?

The offensive line for the Detroit Lions was average. For an interesting fact the Detroit Lions had two pro-bowl OL's in the Barry Sanders era. Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover were credited for Sanders early success in which both Glover and Brown had multiple pro-bowl appearances. For the line as an entirety, it was not enough to protect Sanders and Scott Mitchell as they both were swamped in all of their playoff appearances.

Common knowledge that Lion OL was a weakness.

This is just one of a ton all saying the same thing more or less....

How good was the offensive lines?

The offensive line for the Detroit Lions was average. For an interesting fact the Detroit Lions had two pro-bowl OL's in the Barry Sanders era. Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover were credited for Sanders early success in which both Glover and Brown had multiple pro-bowl appearances. For the line as an entirety, it was not enough to protect Sanders and Scott Mitchell as they both were swamped in all of their playoff appearances.

Common knowledge that Lion OL was a weakness.

An average OL is still not "no O Line" especially one with a borerline hall of famer on it. And the point I was responding to said Sanders success was because the O line sucked as opposed to it helping him. Not saying 2 good players make the whole unit but it was not bad.

Kramer and Mitchell were not great QB's and I'm more inclined to blame the below average QB's than I am to blame the line unit which had multiple pro bowlers. Reminds me of the Browns with Thomas and Mack another tackle and center they alone can't make the OL great nm a meh QB(they did help get Peyton Hillis on the cover of Madden though).

All Time RB 100

lane

1.Bob Hayes 10.06 Florida A&M
2.Tyreek Hill 10.19hs Oklahoma State
3.Jamaal Charles 10.16 Texas
4.Trindon Holliday 10.00 LSU
5.Curtis Dickey 10.10 Texas A&M
6.Michael Bennett 10.18 Wisconsin
7.Herschel Walker 10.23 Georgia
8.O.J.Simpson 9.4yds USC

An average OL is still not "no O Line" especially one with a borerline hall of famer on it. And the point I was responding to said Sanders success was because the O line sucked as opposed to it helping him. Not saying 2 good players make the whole unit but it was not bad.

Kramer and Mitchell were not great QB's and I'm more inclined to blame the below average QB's than I am to blame the line unit which had multiple pro bowlers. Reminds me of the Browns with Thomas and Mack another tackle and center they alone can't make the OL great nm a meh QB(they did help get Peyton Hillis on the cover of Madden though).

I saw Barry running for his life many times and the tv guys talking about his weak offensive line. If you Google ...Detroit Lions offensive line 1990's......it's not good.

One of the forgotten ones.....

25-10 long jumper while at Long Beach State.

Last edited:
One of my prized possesions...

1963-Fleer-Cookie-Gilchrist.jpg

He went straight from high school to the CFL to the Bills, the AFL's first 1000 yard rusher. A fast 250 pound fullback in the 60's.

The original thunder and lightnin' big Jim Brown and speedy Bobby Mitchell...

First time he touched the ball, 105 KO return. Which was the first play in franchise history.

paul-lowe-signed-1960-fleer-card-81074.jpg

Marino, Favre, Wilson, Unitas over Elway is troubling

Elway has gotta be the most over rated of all QB's.

His career comp%....56.9. career passer rating...79.9, hell his TD/INT 300/226. He wasn't superior to those I have above him.

Back