Took 3rd at my first Brown Belt Tourney

Lobo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I took 3rd in the under 181 division yesterday even though I cut weight to make 160. Had I known they were going to combine our divisions I would've stayed at 172. I lost to Chris Liscandrio (who weighed 180) in the first round after he scored 12 points on me (the match last about 18 minutes). I then beat Jamie Walsh on points (9-6) after a 30 minute back and forth battle. Of course, Jeff Glover (the lightest one in our weight class) took our division. He beat Liscandrio on points. Even though I didn't take 1st I was satisified with my performance. There's always next time.

I think the best match of the day was between Javy Vasquez and Rodrigo Texeira. Vasquez won on points (7-4). Texeira almost tied it up in the last minute by nearly mounting Vasquez but Vasquez was able to hold him off for the win. Rener and Ryron made short work of their opponents by submitting them.

The tournament was very professional and ran smoothly.

damn 30 minute fight?? how do you not get tired?

Great job dude. Way to represent your new belt!

I took a serious beating from my opponents when I first got my brown (and purple, too, if I recall correctly). In fact, it may have been a year before I finally won as a brown belt (all of this was WITH the gi - I was much more successful no-gi). Just keep on competing and those L's will start to turn into W's. Then you'll get promoted to black and the beatings will start all over again. :D

Jeff Glover is an awesome competitor and is particularly brutal on opponents who outweigh him. The bigger they are, the more he beats them.

Nice Bro..Going for the purple in Sep...Pancrase tourney on Aug 27...Im pretty Stoked

good job...yea I love when I work real hard to make weight for a tounament then they throw everyone together.

Good for you bro. No doubt, as Dave said, those Ls will become Ws. You just got brown and took third, tells me you definetly heading toward black belt. No doubt anyone that competes at that level has guts. I think that at the brown belt level, all the weekend warriors are weeded out and dedicated bjj grapplers are known. You are one of those and your teacher is one of the bests out there. Congrats to you and Fabio!

good work, congrats on the win and on the belt

great job, i wpould imagine that brown belt divisions are just as hard as the black belt divisions, the guys all seem to be trying to prove that they are the next black belt star, congrats on the win and keep working towards that black. good to have more high ranking sherdoggers on here

guardpasser said:
great job, i wpould imagine that brown belt divisions are just as hard as the black belt divisions, the guys all seem to be trying to prove that they are the next black belt star, congrats on the win and keep working towards that black. good to have more high ranking sherdoggers on here

I share Guard's sentiments.

I need to start competing with the gi. I just got my blue and I have yet to compete gi. I just feel alot more comforotable no gi. I know that to keep advancing and showing progress I am eventually going to have to compete gi, so I think I might do both in October at NAGA.

Congratulations man. You have to be tough to compete at that level.

The rules sound tough as well. An 18 minute match followed by a 30 minute match? That is just brutal.

well done,what was the time limit for each match ?

Good job man.

Just curious, what are the major differences you see when you've moved up in the ranks to compete? Are the techinques more advanced or do your opponents execute the basics, simply better or smoother?

Back