Too much or too little

Keith Shillan

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
ok so I have lifted weights on and off for a while now, I also have trained in MMA for about 6 months. I keep hearing guys talk about supplements and vitamins. I have never really taking any before besides a multi-vitamin and whey protein for fear of not knowing much about them. I finally bought some fish oil and then went on a vitamins/supplements binge. How much can I take? Am I taking to many things? Am I taking to little? I do follow the directions on the bottle. Here is my list of what I take:

1. Protein shake - Once after a workout (I tried before also but felt sick while doing cardio)
2. Energy bar - Before workout
3. Multi-vitamin in the morning
4. Green tea - twice a day
5. Fish oil - 3 times a day
6. Glutamine - 5 times a day (I bought the pills kind, didn't know about the powder. Should I get the powder next time)
7. Glutosimine for my joints once a day
8. B-12 once a day

I am looking into the following: (Not buying all them)
1. Cafeine (to help lose weight)
2. Diet pills (do they really work)
3. Evodiamine
4. Arginine
5. Ginseng
6. Taurine
7. Tribulus Terrestris
8. Garlic
9. Nitric Oxide Boosters
10. ZMA
11. Vitargo

I'm in the 'less is usually better' camp and try to get things I need from natural sources as often as possible.

With that being said, there are a few things I couldn't live without. Greens+ multi vitamin is fantastic, fish oil is essential, and whey is advised for pwo for its fast absorbing nature regardless if you are specifically looking to lose weight.

Green tea is a good natural weight loss supplement. However, I would stay away from the thermogenics (fat burners) unless you feel like you have really plateued. They are mostly just caffiene and generally shouldn't be necessary if you are working the cardio the right way (see burpees and HIIT). For specific people, however, I hear that they give them that extra boost they need to lose those last few pounds.

I will leave others to comment on the rest because I'm not all that familiar with them.

I know the verdict is generally still out on NO, but I have taken it pre workout for the last month or soand feel like it enhances my muscle recovery and my cardio during workouts. There is a good thread on it in the FAQ.

You should read the FAQ. It will answer a lot of your questions. After you're done reading that then filter your list of questions and we'll see what we can do.

As far as the question of how much you can take, that all depends on what your goals are.

that all depends on what your goals are.

Spot on. I was just assuming from your green tea consumption that weight loss is your primary goal.

Reading about the individual supplements in the faq will help you a ton.

I'm in the 'less is usually better' camp and try to get things I need from natural sources as often as possible.

With that being said, there are a few things I couldn't live without. Greens+ multi vitamin is fantastic, fish oil is essential, and whey is advised for pwo for its fast absorbing nature regardless if you are specifically looking to lose weight.

Green tea is a good natural weight loss supplement. However, I would stay away from the thermogenics (fat burners) unless you feel like you have really plateued. They are mostly just caffiene and generally shouldn't be necessary if you are working the cardio the right way (see burpees and HIIT). For specific people, however, I hear that they give them that extra boost they need to lose those last few pounds.

I will leave others to comment on the rest because I'm not all that familiar with them.

I know the verdict is generally still out on NO, but I have taken it pre workout for the last month or soand feel like it enhances my muscle recovery and my cardio during workouts. There is a good thread on it in the FAQ.

Thanks alot. My main goal is to retain muscle but lose fat. I weigh about 185 and am fighting my first fight at 160 on 6/13. I am hoping to be around 165 right before the fight. I am confident that will make it. I have some weight to lose around my waist and I have been eating clean and training hard.

Thanks alot. My main goal is to retain muscle but lose fat. I weigh about 185 and am fighting my first fight at 160 on 6/13. I am hoping to be around 165 right before the fight. I am confident that will make it. I have some weight to lose around my waist and I have been eating clean and training hard.

I had similar goals and took Xenedrine to lose weight and retain muscle/get shredded. It worked very well for me. It gives a great energy boost, supresses your appetite very well, and also helps you shed fat.

I had similar goals and took Xenedrine to lose weight and retain muscle/get shredded. It worked very well for me. It gives a great energy boost, supresses your appetite very well, and also helps you shed fat.[/QUOT

I will check it out, thanks

Back