Tony Jaa

-V-MuayThai-V-

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's his fighting style. He's the guy from Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong. I know he does muay thai, but I wanna know more about the different kinds of muay thai. I heard his style was what warriors did to protect elephant's legs in battle. Anyone know?

i beleive he is a greco roman wrestler. mostley a top grappler with a bad ass front face lock.

Hammer Time said:
i beleive he is a greco roman wrestler. mostley a top grappler with a bad ass front face lock.

hahah. he's done a bit of sambo too....flaming shoe sambo

IMDB said:
Tony Jaa trained extensively in the ancient form of Muay Boran (the predecessor to Muay Thai) for four years in preparation for Ong-bak (2003).

I also believe there may have been some Tae Kwon Do in there.

I seem to remember reading that he did some TKD when he was younger. This is just pulled out of the corners of my memory, so don't take it as anything else!

If he trained Muay Thai Boran for four years up to this film, then that's good enough for me.

Muay Thai Boran also developed from Chinese Gong-Fu, like most other eastern fighting styles, and used to have many fancy techniques and forms.

umm..he's got an acting and special effects style..

TapSD said:
umm..he's got an acting and special effects style..
No, there were no special effects used in Ong Bak, he's just unbelievably athletic.

I also heard he trained a bit of Tibetan Kung Fu for the role, but I can't remember where I read it so I could be mistaken.

TequillaSlammer said:
No, there were no special effects used in Ong Bak, he's just unbelievably athletic.

I also heard he trained a bit of Tibetan Kung Fu for the role, but I can't remember where I read it so I could be mistaken.
I heard his eye boogers cure cancer

That was both relevant and funny, a double!
I bet your parents are proud of you.

TequillaSlammer said:
That was both relevant and funny, a double!
I bet your parents are proud of you.
I try...pry yourself away from Tony Jaa's ball bag

You have to be 13. There is no way in hell anybody over the age of 13 could come up with such useless comments and think they are funny.
Whats next, you gonna give me a 'yo momma's so fat' joke?

TequillaSlammer said:
You have to be 13. There is no way in hell anybody over the age of 13 could come up with such useless comments and think they are funny.
Whats next, you gonna give me a 'yo momma's so fat' joke?
yo momma's so stank the crabs carry canteens

Evil Eye Gouger said:
I thought that he never really did Muay Thai, just acted it on the movies?

i think he does traditional MT. people still practice it. one fairtex smoker two instructors did some "kata" where there's a tiny skit of two guys fighting, and a lot of their moves are asthetic than practical, and TMA like. they also had weapons.

And what does he mean by the other sides of Muay Thai that most people don't really know about? The Muay Thai most people are familiar with is considered a sport and not a martial art, and has only been around since 1930. It is actually a watered-down version of a more vigorous and lethal form of the ancient martial art called Muay Boran, which comes from an even older version of Pahuyuth (systems of Thai martial arts) called Ling Lom "air monkey" that has its foundations in Krabi-Krabong. What's interesting about all of this is that although the ancient forms of Thai's Pahuyuth are steeped in Buddhist notions, the Ling-Lom aspect of Muay Boran has its foundations in the Hindu monkey god Hanuman, where traditional Muay Boran fights were actually dances to honor the story "The Legend of Ramayana" and the fights between the various deities involved, which of course includes the hero Hanuman. Similar to Chinese kung fu, where each technique of a form has a specific name, many of the maneuvers in Muay Boran forms have names based on the fighting postures of the gods from "Ramayana" aka "The Prince of Light."

Jaa started training in Muay Thai at age 15, trekking through the jungles from his home in Surin, near the northeastern Thai-Cambodian border, to a village called Maha Sarakham where he'd practice other kinds of martial arts and various martial arts weapons for eight hours a day under former Thai action movie hero Phanna Rithikari. However, his gymnastic skills started at an earlier age. As a kid working in his father's rice paddies, he would jump up onto his pet elephants and somersault into the river. As time went by, his teacher Phanna would have Jaa work on films doing menial labor, like being the water boy, setting up the dolly and lights, giving him the chance to see how things were done on set. Such work just re-emphasized to Jaa that he wanted to be a film star like his mentor Phanna. In fact, ONG BAK was born on the set of Jaa's first gig, being Robin Shou's stunt double on MORTAL KOMBAT: ANNIHILATION (1997).

http://www.tonyjaa.org/kungfumag0205.shtml

I was just about to post that same link. Tony Jaa is amazing but could he stand up in an actual thai fight?
I really want to know though I guess I never will.

i think his physical abilities and his capacity to endure pain would make him a tough oponent in a street fight, but I don't think he could do a muay thai fight..
Maybe a MMA fight if he trained a little bjj...
(random fact: the huge dumb wrestler type guy in tom yum goong fought in Pride once, and lost)

He could be a good fighter, anyone with that kind of athleticism, flexibility and speed could be a good fighter. This was taken from his biography on his site:

"Finally, at the age of 15, Panna Rittikrai takes Panom Yeerum under his wing and becomes his master. Panna was living in Khon Kaen, a province in the Northeastern highlands and Panom traveled there and began to study with him. When he was 21, Panna advised his prot

Tony Jaa would kick Bruce Lee's ass. Not only can he kick better, he knows grappling moves. In his last movie he breaks about 50 arms with aikido-like armlocks, and even does a kind of single-leg into spinning half-boston crab thing that looks really cool.
So that's why I suggested MMA. If you must have actors fighting (kaneko), why not use martial arts movies actors ?

sha said:
Tony Jaa would kick Bruce Lee's ass. Not only can he kick better, he knows grappling moves. In his last movie he breaks about 50 arms with aikido-like armlocks, and even does a kind of single-leg into spinning half-boston crab thing that looks really cool.

Bruce Lee knew how to grapple and wreslte also, and Tony Jaa would not pull off moves like that on Bruce Lee. That was an awesome fight scene, though. One of my favorites.

Back