• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Tony Ferguson's one of the best strikers in MMA history with more tools than anyone else

There's a difference between being effective and being a great striker. Tony is the perfect example of that.
I see what you're saying, but don't you think that a great striker is also effective? People can have lots of talent, but if they can't properly apply it to become effective, how do you label them a great striker?

I'd say that Tony isn't technical, but whatever he does he makes it work for him. He seems to adapt very well, and makes all of his strikes count. And in doing so, that makes him a great striker.

I see what you're saying, but don't you think that a great striker is also effective? People can have lots of talent, but if they can't properly apply it to become effective, how do you label them a great striker?

I'd say that Tony isn't technical, but whatever he does he makes it work for him. He seems to adapt very well, and makes all of his strikes count. And in doing so, that makes him a great striker.

What part of Tony's striking isnt technical? I would describe him as technical but risk taker sometimes seeming careless. Somebody with no technique is someone looking to throw haymakers the whole fight

Best fighters stick to the basics.

More tools not always equal better fighter.

Best fighters stick to the basics.

More tools not always equal better fighter.

Well he's 15-1 and has 12 wins in a row. I'd say that makes him among the best.

Its respectable but not particularly impressive. He got to fight Khabib, and got absolutely squashed, but otherwise didn't have particularly stiff competition. JG was coming off a KO loss at the time, but that was a fine performance.

Holloway had literally never before fought at lightweight and it still went to a 3-2 decision. Again impressive but hard to really weigh considering Holloway was an unranked & never-ranked lightweight.
I think that's a stronger resume than Ferguson.

He has horrible defense. Gets clipped alot and when he's in trouble, goes into multiple barrel rolls. Lol. He's sloppy. His number one trait is his stamina and he's pretty slick on the ground.

Tony is an effective striker, but he is not great in terms of technique... far from it... his effectiveness stems from the fact he maintains a very high pace, high pressure, unorthodox style... that works because he is durable and maintains exceptional fitness... Tony beats you by wearing you down, a war of attrition.

Just look at this magic, the way he avoids, slip and duck under the opponent's strikes inside the pocket is truly amazing, just look at the uppercut at the end, I've never seen anything like this in MMA

One of most versatile, yes. One of best ever at close range,yes.
Getting dropped almost every fight...not one of best overall standup sorry but he makes up for it by being at least good or great everywhere.

He has horrible defense. Gets clipped alot and when he's in trouble, goes into multiple barrel rolls. Lol. He's sloppy. His number one trait is his stamina and he's pretty slick on the ground.
He gets hit less than Conor does
And has better striking defense
stats don't lie

I’d say Phil Baroni

pjc466nayts11.gif

If you think this could one the biggest fights in a near distant future. Years later mma fans will remember as one of the last fight of mma greats. Mma as are more massive sports events will become more and more niche. As we know it today.

Hes going to destroy Justin lmao. He is not on Tony's level. Not even close.

He made Barboza panic wrestle.. let that sink in

When your chin is one of the sole reasons why you are effective, you're probably nowhere close to being elite.

His footwork is awful, he cannot avoid strikes at all, he doesn't have craft - he just has pressure.

Luckily for him, he hasn't faced a power puncher for such a long time; unfortunately for him, Gaethje is there.

His creativity and ability to improvise and flow is definitely elite. He's a very, very special, unique, and complete fighter. I would not put him in the category as "one of the best strikers in MMA history" though.
definitely
He's good but its more so his cardio and conditioning just allows him to walk through shots

He gets dropped and clipped way to much to be considered as one of the best strikers

Back