Tony Cecchine are his moves legit?

jason1976

White Belt
Reaction score
I did a search and found some info on this topic but i was wondering if anyone else had anything to add to this. i am aware of joe rogan and eddie bravos opinions on him. i do have tony loah tape series and there are some good submissions like his front face lock and his way of doing the heel hook along with some cool neck cranks. i just wanted to know everyones opinion of his techniques on the grappling forum. are they good or just BS. would it be worth it to buy his wrist lock sries etc?
thanks

i have his catch dvds from wma, i love them alot of good positions and subs,

i am just trying to decid if i want to buy the rest of his set. i could only use like 25% if that of his lost art of hooking series. like i said though some wicked neck cranks in that. anyone else have an opinion?

Some of the moves are good, some aren't. I liked the first two tapes and his tapes on leg locks, a large % of the rest aren't really workable on a resisting partner. The only product that I recommend of Matt Furey's is his neck crank video. That is not bad at all. I think you might really enjoy Fujiwara's Sub-Mission Master (I produced the DVDs) or Hidetaka Aso's Submission Bible. Hope this helps.

~Jake Shannon

The positioning is great. I am not sure about the actual hooks though.

For the most part sure they are legit but A LOT of them are dick head moves. Not to mention the guy is a total ass and he tries to sound smart and it just comes off awkward. His constant attitude of "lolz BJJ sux lol" gets old. And I'm surprised that poor guy Bruce didn't just get up and stomp on Tony for all the crap he did to him in the instructionals.

Luckily I did not pay for them but he did have some small things that I have incorporated into my game. The kesa gatame postion when he puts their shoulder off the ground by putting your knee under it is what I use now, in conjunction with the americana lock with your foot. I caught someone with that last night. Also the way he does the americana from the mount is cool.

Other than that, I say don't waste your money for you will only be seeing a bunch of dick head moves that only sadists will use and stuff that is already in the traditonal bjj game with added unecessary strength. Get the saulo ribeiro sets instead.

Bama Zulu said:
His constant attitude of "lolz BJJ sux lol" gets old.

He was always pretty respectful of BJJ and other grappling types when talking about moves. Basically saying he respects them, but he feels X is more superior than Y in Jiu Jitsu.

Is it a good set to own? Yes.

Is all of it useful? No.

If you have the money to spare pick them up. If not, go with Saulo's Jiujitsu or Freestyle Revolution series.

Off the top of my head, any of these guys have better instructionals (not to mention credentials and experience):

Saulo Ribeiro
Marcelo Garcia
Leo Vieira
Dave Camarillo
Mario Sperry
Roy Harris
Michael Jen
Luis Gutierrez
Jacare

I can keep going. Don't waste your money.

I think the position stuff is very useful and most of it you wont learn in BJJ class. It gives you differnt options to control and pin someone.
Some of his leg stuff is ok too.

Aesopian said:
Off the top of my head, any of these guys have better instructionals (not to mention credentials and experience):

Saulo Ribeiro
Marcelo Garcia
Leo Vieira
Dave Camarillo
Mario Sperry
Roy Harris
Michael Jen
Luis Gutierrez
Jacare

I can keep going. Don't waste your money.

What's Camarillo's set? Haven't seen that one.

When it comes down to it, Cecchine is kind of disingenuous...

Masa Funaki, Josh Barnett, Kazushi Sakuraba, Kiyoshi Tamura, Frank Shamrock, Carl Malenko, Ken Shamrock, Erik Paulson, Karo Parisyan...all of these guys are catch-as-catch-can "experts", as proven by A. their teachers and B. their success in the ring. To say he is the only catch-master is false.

Back