Tonight's main card SUCKED!

Chubz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I was just thinking back on tonight's main card and realized that all of the fights had two shitty things in common: they were one-sided (sometimes majorly), and they went to decision.

I was hoping Lombard vs. Burkman would provide us with an early brutal KO or TKO to get things started, but instead it saw Lombard stalking a nearly bored-looking Burkman who kept dropping his hands and was only looking to counter. By the time the fight was over, I was glad. It was clear that Burkman couldn't win, and that Lombard couldn't finish him.

Then came Horiguchi vs. Gaudinot, a mediocre flyweight scrap that saw Horiguchi easily pull away in the second and third rounds en route to a decision in a fight with zero near-finishes and few, if any exciting moments that I can recall.

After that was the Leg Kickathon in Marquardt vs. Tavares, in which Marquardt's lead leg was tenderized and his face jabbed repeatedly. This fight had no near finishes, either. It was just Marquardt being picked apart from beginning to end. "Piss Break" time came long before the third round ended.

And then Cerrone vs. Jury. Oh my fucking God. This fight had fireworks written all over it. You had Cerrone, who can't not have an exciting fight, and Jury, a talented young kid who had wrecked Gomi in just over a minute in his last fight and hadn't lost once in his pro MMA career. What should have been a thrilling co-main event was instead a frustrating affair of Cerrone nearly finishing Jury in the first round with a RNC, then stalking him like a schoolyard bully throughout the second and third rounds. What a piece of shit. At least Cerrone tried to make it entertaining with his aggression and ridiculous soccer kicks at the end, but it was clear that Jury didn't show up to fight.

Finally, the night ended with a sadly predictable Jones vs. Cormier fight, in which Jones, with his reach and ridiculous takedown defense, outclassed Cormier in the majority of the fight and made him look like a joke in the last round. There was nothing surprising, or even exciting, about it. It went down exactly as most of us expected, and many of us feared. Gustafsson truly is the only LHW who stands even a snowball's chance in hell of dethroning Jones.

And there you have it--a surprisingly crappy night of fights. No finishes, few near-finishes, and no real surprises (aside from Jury's sad performance, although that isn't a good surprise by any means).

Anyone else feel the same way?

Main card was awful, but I'm a Jones fan, so the main event made this card worth every penny.

Not really. Expectations are everything and I didn't have any expectations coming into this main card aside from the main event, which actually went above what I expected.

So, either you got caught up into the hype train where you expected a fantasy of first round KOs and submissions for 2 hours and ended up being disappointed or you didn't. Either way, next time anticipated main event comes around on PPV, how about take a step back and look closer at what the fights should be in your head and compare that to what the fights SHOULD be, in reality....or not.

Not really. Expectations are everything and I didn't have any expectations coming into this main card aside from the main event, which actually went above what I expected.

So, either you got caught up into the hype train where you expected a fantasy of first round KOs and submissions for 2 hours and ended up being disappointed or you didn't. Either way, next time anticipated main event comes around on PPV, how about take a step back and look closer at what the fights should be in your head and compare that to what the fights SHOULD be, in reality....or not.

What I expected was at least one finish and/or close fight, neither of which materialized. No truly good card lacks both of those things.

Yeah, it kinda sucked. It happens sometimes. The nfl games today were pretty shitty too. Not every sporting event is going to be exciting.

Too many decisions and one sided fights. Only the main event was good.

The fact that they were all decisions wasn't the issue, the fights were just really uneventful.

The only fight that saved it for me was the Jones/Cormier fight, and that's because I was absolutely certain that Jones would win easily. Cormier making it competitive for the first 3 rounds was a pleasant surprise.

I agree the card was pretty poor. The first two rounds of Jones Cormier ruled tho.

Really bummed that Jury ran in the Cerrone fight. That could have been an amazing fight. Huge disappointment

They all can't be gems

#thetimeisnow

What an awful night of fights and I agree the main event was very predictable wasn't really that hyped for it

at least we had that awesome spinning backfist on the prelims. watching Danny Castillo get KTFO was money.

The fact that they were all decisions wasn't the issue, the fights were just really uneventful.

The only fight that saved it for me was the Jones/Cormier fight, and that's because I was absolutely certain that Jones would win easily. Cormier making it competitive for the first 3 rounds was a pleasant surprise.

Yea DC did better than I expected

True it was a meh event. Watching DC Vs Jones was worth it though.

UFC on Fox 14 - Gustafsson vs. Johnson should be a lot better.

We put money together to watch the main event. It did not dissapoint because we were all standing the entire time.

The first 3 rounds of Jones/Cormier was just outstanding MMA. Unfortunately, DC couldn't keep the pace up and the fight devolved into a clinch fest around the midway point of round 4.

If you thought the main event was so predictable I hope you bet the house on Jones. Because he was barely the favorite and you could have made some nice money.

Back