Tofu!!

spanklock

Orange Belt
Reaction score
need tips on what to do with all this firm tofu i just bought!!!!

ok but how are you cooking it and with what? man, i just bought all this tofu on a whim after reading some article about the benefits of tofu.

Stir fry with vegetables. The firm tofu works best, but any will work. You don't need to cook it that much, just dice it cubes and add it last. I usually use carrots, celery, onion, bean sprouts, zuchhini, tomatoes, and then add soy or tamari sauce and sesame seeds.

i like it cold with just soy sauce, but if you want to cook it, doing it tempura style (deep fried in rice flour) with tempura sauce is awesome. To make it healthier, stir fry it. Here is the best and easiest sauce. Soy, lots of brown sugar, much more than you would think to add, a little water (only to help dissolve the brown sugar, it will reduce when cooked) ginger, fresh if possible, just peel it and dice it up, and garlic too. If you want to add a little pineapple joice. As far as veggies, whatever you like. By the way, don't over stir it or the tofu will fall apart.

The trash can comes to mind.

Sorry, I just plain hate the stuff. lol

jayyon39 said:
i like it cold with just soy sauce, but if you want to cook it, doing it tempura style (deep fried in rice flour) with tempura sauce is awesome. To make it healthier, stir fry it. Here is the best and easiest sauce. Soy, lots of brown sugar, much more than you would think to add, a little water (only to help dissolve the brown sugar, it will reduce when cooked) ginger, fresh if possible, just peel it and dice it up, and garlic too. If you want to add a little pineapple joice. As far as veggies, whatever you like. By the way, don't over stir it or the tofu will fall apart.

That sounds good

My mom makes the best tofu...wish I knew how she does it...I'll just stop by her house and pick some up...why make it myself?

my advice is just don't eat TOO MUCH of it.. too much meaning a few pounds a day..

moderation my friend.. a little every once in a while doesn't hurt :wink:

Chad Hamilton said:
Tofu = estrogen.

I don't believe it's possible to eat enough to actually raise your levels of estrogen. Just because tofu mitigates the symptoms of menopause doesn't mean it will make you grow tits, Chad. The isoflavones may actually lower estrogen levels.

Cut it into cubes and throw it in with any asian style soup. Bring it to a boil and enjoy.
If you want to go really cheap, buy Ramen noodles and boil the tofu with the soup. If you don't want all the sodium from the soup just pick out the flavored tofu.

Madmick said:
I don't believe it's possible to eat enough to actually raise your levels of estrogen. Just because tofu mitigates the symptoms of menopause doesn't mean it will make you grow tits, Chad. The isoflavones may actually lower estrogen levels.
Thanks Madmick, I have been trying to tell people this and no one listens. If you don't believe us go and do some research and you will see that we are right.

As for cooking it; I freeze my tofu before I eat it because IMO it gives the tofu a much better texture. It almost takes on a chicken breast-like texture. A really easy way to eat it is to make a soup with all of your favorite veggies and add cubes of tofu.

initial thoughts...this stuff is great, wish i was turned on to it sooner....straight up cold with soy sauce works for me!!! probably how i'll eat it most often. will probably try adding it to dishes when i dont feel like eating meat, which has been alot lately...

i like the ideas i'm seeing...

but i don't get the freezing idea, wouldnt that put ice crystals in it making it kind of like a bastard tofu popsicle because not even firm tofu is not very dense?? i ask because i just had some right now. not totally frozen, but the fridge was really cold and partially froze the water the leftover tofu was in and it wasnt bad at all but it was annoying because of all the ice crystals on the inside...maybe just a freak occurrence..i don't know...

SlappyMacGee said:
Thanks Madmick, I have been trying to tell people this and no one listens. If you don't believe us go and do some research and you will see that we are right.

As for cooking it; I freeze my tofu before I eat it because IMO it gives the tofu a much better texture. It almost takes on a chicken breast-like texture. A really easy way to eat it is to make a soup with all of your favorite veggies and add cubes of tofu.

Well, Chad listened.

The world is swirled in misinformation and partial information, and no one is immune, myself included, so I try not to be a dick about things (I don't always succeed). I mean, it makes sense that, "Soy= reduced menopause symptoms, (must)= raised estrogen, (must)=bad for men." But the endocrine system acts counterintuitively sometimes, I learned when I reported on steroids in my orgo class.

Understandable mistake: a myth must be dispelled.

Back