• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Today I felt the power of PEDs in BJJ

What? Strength matters in bjj. If the difference is too big a lot of things cease or begin to work. I
Moves don't have to work regardless of physicality to be correct. If anything I would argue they are tricks if they can be countered by pure technique.

Strength helps amplify technique, being strong does not help if you dont know what to do. If somone is blindly powering out of your techniques then you should take a look at your technique, not go do curls and bench press.

Strength helps amplify technique, being strong does not help if you dont know what to do. If somone is blindly powering out of your techniques then you should take a look at your technique, not go do curls and bench press.
I respectfully disagree. I've seen very small/old advanced guys with quite good technique, or women grapplers, have a lot of trouble executing techniques against a crazy overpowered noob. Proper technique basically "increases your strength" by letting you more efficiently deliver force; but if the strength difference is great enough, it can become almost insurmountable, depending on how big it is.

Heck, even high level competitive grapplers will struggle if the strength difference is big enough. The recent grappling videos of Hapthor and Martins kind of points this out...pretty interesting to see how technique works when the strength difference ratio is greater than that of a regular adult vs a 5 year old...technique definitely has its limits

I respectfully disagree. I've seen very small/old advanced guys with quite good technique, or women grapplers, have a lot of trouble executing techniques against a crazy overpowered noob. Proper technique basically "increases your strength" by letting you more efficiently deliver force; but if the strength difference is great enough, it can become almost insurmountable, depending on how big it is.

Heck, even high level competitive grapplers will struggle if the strength difference is big enough. The recent grappling videos of Hapthor and Martins kind of points this out...pretty interesting to see how technique works when the strength difference ratio is greater than that of a regular adult vs a 5 year old...technique definitely has its limits

To be fair Martin is a bad example, he has wrestled for years in high school and has six months of BJJ training on top of that, he is not clueless and know what he should aim for on the ground, and it's clear from how he moves comforftably even when he is on his back (compare it with Juji who is completely lost).
And when there is an immense strengh and size gap, there is a an absolutely huge difference between not knowing anything and knowing just the basics.
Knowing just what the positional hyerarchy of ground grappling is, that you should never offer you back and what submissions you should be careful to can be enough for a freakish big and strong guy to go from beatable to unbeatable.

Thor looks like he is not completely clueless too and he stated he used to grapple with his (presumably trained) friends, it's likely they taught him the aforementioned basics.

Said that, I agree that when the difference is truly gigantic size and strenght alone can overcame even perfect technique even if the bigger guy has absolutely zero knowledge.

Pro nogi bjj at the highest level today seems like a competition where the most juiced up athlete wins.

- 37 years old Galvao absolutely manhandling a doper like Pena, the difference in that fight was pure physicality, and you don't get more physical in your late 30ies.
- Kaynan beating Rodolfo, who is under USADA, and the difference in that fight was physicality, Kaynan was using a double collar tie to bother Rodolfo and that shit doesn't work in wrestling, only in grappling, where the bigger, more explosive athlete usually wins the stand up.
- the only one to beat Kaynan recently is 40 years old Cyborg, who is in his prime and looks like an ogre, another late bloomer I guess.
- Gordon Ryan, who is the best nogi guy in the world technically by a landslide, wouldn't be the number 1 guy today if he still was the 190 pounds twig.
- Nicky Ryan, who lost to Tye Ruotolo because of a difference in physicality, recently had a second "puberty", would be fun to see a second match now, with a difference in physicality reversed.

Shit like this make you think that a grappler that has no intention to dope still is tempted to use it if he wants to be competitive.

Lachlan is right here

didnt he cheat though? or is that rumours. I heard he took steriods.

Having used a few PED's my friends/roomates where using in their athletic endevours (EPO from a cyclist roomated/liquid test under the tongue from a fighter friend, etc.) my experience from just a couple weeks of use here and there is that PED's absa-fucking-lutely take someone who is already training hard and skilled, and turn them into a fucking machine. I saw it happen with me in less than a couple weeks. EPO obviously was my favorite, an endless gas tank cannot be more valuable if it made you sweat gold dust, but test imo is not just a significant training and physicality development tool, it is a psychological boost and that is what I think the most important part of test is. For two weeks I didn't just want to train constantly, eat metal while lifting, and have no fear of anything, test actually made me WANT to get attacked, hurt, etc. It felt good for christ sake, very much like when you're fucking a woman and she's as into it as you are and fucking back like an animal-I wanted other guys in the gym to come at me with everything they possible could. Getting hurt felt good, almost as much as hurting other people did.

That's a mental benefit to any combat athlete that cannot be overestimated.
Man that’s the greatest shit when the chicks giving it to you as hard as you’re giving it her . Straight savage animal shit .

Why are you mentioning blinding powering out of stuff? The point of that thread is that between competent grapplers they can make a difference sometimes taking people from being pathetically weak to decent other times making the already strong brutal.

Much as the cult of the offensive dominated military thought in the early 20th century. The cult of the “technique holy, strength bad” continues to dominate bjj thought

lol Yep. Strength is a part of sports. I don’t follow NFL much, but you don’t hear people complaining about athletes being stronger.... but in Bjj or even mma when a guy wins based on size, power, or strength you will here people bitch and moan. At the end of the day, all that shot matters and it’s up to you to maximize your potential so you don’t have a disadvantage against someone or you can turn it into your strength. Strength is a skill... IMO.

The reason I say his jiu jitsu I do not believe got better is because I felt more power than smooth technique. He was just explosive, also when he pulled me into his guard his sweeps were the same none of them worked, which was usually the case.

Where I saw the difference was the standing game where his guard pull was just crazy. His passing game is usually over under and slow. Yesterday it felt heavy and fast. I remember in one over under he pulls me up where my shoulders were on the mat and he just passes. And I am 102 kgs and he is 78 kgs. I mean he never tried this in the past 6 years.

So did his technique get better maybe, but my question is in 6 years his technique did not make giant leap. And suddenly in 3 months his technique just explodes. Personally I feel it was all the steroids, especially since he says used them and he never used them before.

I think you can tell when a guy is smashing you when he uses technique and when someone just uses their strength and athletic ability.
PEDs also allow you to train harder and more frequently with less injury so they can help you improve your technique as well through extra high quality training that you otherwise wouldn't be able to endure physically.

lol Yep. Strength is a part of sports. I don’t follow NFL much, but you don’t hear people complaining about athletes being stronger.... but in Bjj or even mma when a guy wins based on size, power, or strength you will here people bitch and moan. At the end of the day, all that shot matters and it’s up to you to maximize your potential so you don’t have a disadvantage against someone or you can turn it into your strength. Strength is a skill... IMO.

The NFL really relies heavily on athleticism across the board. Since nearly everyone in the NFL is a freak that means your combine numbers mean a great deal. Aside from QB, punter, long snapper, and kicker there aren't too many positions in the NFL that require a high degree of dexterity, technical ability, and intelligence. The play is set by the coach and you run the play to the best of your physical ability.

That doesn't really apply to BJJ as much where skill and sound technique can often be the biggest equalizer.......but at the top where everyone is equally skilled, brute force and physical ability become the thing that earns you a podium spot.

The NFL really relies heavily on athleticism across the board. Since nearly everyone in the NFL is a freak that means your combine numbers mean a great deal. Aside from QB, punter, long snapper, and kicker there aren't too many positions in the NFL that require a high degree of dexterity, technical ability, and intelligence. The play is set by the coach and you run the play to the best of your physical ability.

That doesn't really apply to BJJ as much where skill and sound technique can often be the biggest equalizer.......but at the top where everyone is equally skilled, brute force and physical ability become the thing that earns you a podium spot.
The idiocy and wannabe snobbery in this comment is laughable

Lol picked last were you. It’s always laughable watching people trying to be snobby about that crap. It’s like the idiotic American hipster soccer fan that minimizes Messi’s athleticism so they can fantasize about being on that level.

Lol picked last were you. It’s always laughable watching people trying to be snobby about that crap. It’s like the idiotic American hipster soccer fan that minimizes Messi’s athleticism so they can fantasize about being on that level.

They let you have access to the internet in your group home? Good for you. Better scamper along there champ, don't wanna be late for arts and crafts. I hear you are making hand turkeys....but please try not to draw another picture with your feces again, the other mongoloids got a little too rowdy once they caught a whiff.

Have a good'un.

I had a guy mounted with his head wrapped up and he just benched me off like it was nothing. I'm 210 mind you. He was a guy in his early 40s and he straight up told me afterwards that he takes roids. This was in training but his honesty was kind of a breath of fresh air. But the main thing is that his strength "feels" different, it's not just that he was strong. It's hard to describe.

They let you have access to the internet in your group home? Good for you. Better scamper along there champ, don't wanna be late for arts and crafts. I hear you are making hand turkeys....but please try not to draw another picture with your feces again, the other mongoloids got a little too rowdy once they caught a whiff.

Have a good'un.
No, I’m just more informed and experienced than you. Lol.

Your reaction and lil attempt at condescension tells me I read you correctly. What’s hilarious about people like you is 9/10 you’re not as “technical” as you think you are.

Back