To think that RDA could've easily been cut and we wouldn't have batted an eye

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by RiotWyatt, Feb 9, 2016.

1. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Brown Belt

In his debut he got KTFO'd by Jeremy Stephens, who at the time was a 2-2 guy who then loss 2 in a row right afterwards.

Then he immediately lost again to Tyson Griffin who went 2-4 after beating him and subsequently got cut by the UFC.

That could've been it. The UFC could've cut him. His only saving grace was that Griffin was a top guy and RDA's fight with him was close and exciting.

In a way though, those losses were a blessing in disguise as RDA was relegated to facing weaker competition where he went 3-0, allowing him to improve his game before getting a step back up in competition and we all know the story from there. Stephens and Griffin however continued facing the top guys and couldn't cut it.

From 2010-2016, in 14 fights, RDA has had probably the best strength of schedule.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. Harmonica

Harmonica Strong, silent type

This puny mortal shall be reminded why challenging a god isn't such a good idea.

irish_thug and Rittsy like this.
  3. 3betUSA

3betUSA Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

This guy is what a fighter should be about.

4. El chapo Jr.

El chapo Jr. Banned Banned

RDA will be cut by that left hand shot.

5. 3betUSA

3betUSA Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

You must be a newb

6. Le Choad

Le Choad Green Belt

You have to go back one more year, but I think Frankie Edgar had a tougher 14 fight stretch.

Maybe even Hendricks too and those are just the first two I thought of.

But yes, it is trippy the champ would have probably got cut after his second fight nowadays. Makes me wonder if any future champs have been cut recently.

7. karatekick1

karatekick1 Banned Banned

He was thrown to the wolves both Griffin and Stephens were highly regarded at the time and the fights were barnburners.

8. Head Clean Off

Head Clean Off Blue Belt Double Yellow Card

he hit puberty in his 30s

9. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Red Belt

The toughest schedule of anyone in mma over those six years? Jon Jones, JDS, Condit, Henricks, Aldo, Frankie, Ben Henderson, Donald Cerrone, Daniel Cormier, etc etc....

Anyone who has been a consistent top 5 guy for the past 5 years has had at least a comparable, if not definitively better, strength of schedule.

I will say that if you start in 2014 instead of 2010, he has had an extremely tough schedule. He very well may have had the toughest 2 year stretch of any fighter in that period.

Gamer007 likes this.
  10. JDragon

JDragon DOX News Anchor Platinum Member

I got a different question: What are examples of fighters getting cut (as opposed to contract not extended etc.) only to return later and become champions?

Werdum I guess?
    Lawler?

Any other examples?

11. Automatic Man

Automatic Man Die like a champion, ya hey!

Doubt he wuld have been cut, he was easily winning the Stephens fight and got caught, then of course a loss to highly regarded Tyson Griffin in a exciting fight was nothing to be ashamed of...even if he was cut he would have fought his way back to the UFC.

Regardless, i never thought I would be a fan. dude was never even a fighter that crossed my mind,until he crushed my boy Bendo..

12. Sparrow52

Sparrow52 Blue Belt

His turn around has been amazing. Horse meat has been good to a lot of mma champs.