to the boxers or those who train in boxing out there

Marvin Covar

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
is there any way to turn your jab into a knockout punch? i was just wondering how cool it would be if your feeler can knock others out.

legshot420 said:
is there any way to turn your jab into a knockout punch? i was just wondering how cool it would be if your feeler can knock others out.

The man you have quoted in your sig developed a solid lead punch. JKD fights strong side forward, ie if you are right handed fight with your right hand in front, this goes against conventional boxing wisdom which has the power hand to the rear. I can not say if it will be a knock-out punch but with proper body mechanics you could have a very stiff jab on your hands not to mention a killer lead hook.

People who have a jab that can knock guys out are those with natural one-punch knockout power. This cannot be developed or trained. Some guys hit like trucks, some don't. Guys like Naseem Hamed, they tap you on the chin the next thing you know you're staring at a pen light with an ice pack on your neck. All you can really do is correct form, apply speed, and develope razor-sharp accuracy. This will increase the chances of hurting a guy even with a jab. But if you're not naturally heavy-handed the chance of developing a jab into a KO punch is slim-to-none.

Semmy Schildt knocks people out with his jab, but that is because he is a lefty who stands orthodox.

thanks for the replies, one and all! very much appreciated! :)

Regarding the "straight lead" in JKD, it's effectiveness wasn't it's impact, as much as delivery.

It's a normal straight jab, but aimed at the jaw or nose of the attacker. It's used as an "interrupting/intercepting fist" and was a core principle of Jun Fan/JKD.
It was also thrown from the hip area at a 45 degree angle upwards. The opponent can't see the punch coming because the blindspot and gets blindsided.

I don't think you can ko an ordinary fighter your same size with a jab. Even if you have a heavy jab, there's no way ... you could stun somebody I suppose, maybe even knock them down, particularly if they come forward into it, but KO? I don't see it.

Really the only way you can KO somebody is to hit them on the temple/chin with rotational force, and the jab doesn't do that. You'd have to have a hella weak chin to get taken out by a jab.

King Kabuki said:
People who have a jab that can knock guys out are those with natural one-punch knockout power. This cannot be developed or trained. Some guys hit like trucks, some don't. Guys like Naseem Hamed, they tap you on the chin the next thing you know you're staring at a pen light with an ice pack on your neck. All you can really do is correct form, apply speed, and develope razor-sharp accuracy. This will increase the chances of hurting a guy even with a jab. But if you're not naturally heavy-handed the chance of developing a jab into a KO punch is slim-to-none.

you are right in most part, but I think with training everthing can happen, I stun people sometimes with jabs and I think I got the power after I stole some of Fedor and Ko*****o traing in a video, so there are workouts that can help, too bad many fighter making them a secret

Semmy Schildt knocks people out with his jab, but that is because he is a lefty who stands orthodox.

not to mention the fact that he weights over 250 and is punching down...

you are right in most part, but I think with training everthing can happen, I stun people sometimes with jabs and I think I got the power after I stole some of Fedor and Ko*****o traing in a video, so there are workouts that can help, too bad many fighter making them a secret

You can punch more stiff, accurate, and faster, which like I said makes for a more damaging punch. But punchers, big punchers, are born not made.

You can increase power on your lead hand by coiling up more and putting more of your body behind it than you would with a regular jab...an extra stiff jab or even a straight left...it is less useful in boxing where your opponent is more careful about your hands, but it could be effective in kickboxing, MT or MMA since there is a lot of other stuff that your opponent has to watch out for

wildjustin said:
...I think I got the power after I stole some of Fedor and Ko*****o traing in a video, so there are workouts that can help, too bad many fighter making them a secret

which workouts specifically?

sometimes if you reach forward and extend your shoulder with the jab, you might be lucky, but you leave yourself wide open, so you better be sure it will knock your opponent out!

Jaxx said:
The man you have quoted in your sig developed a solid lead punch. JKD fights strong side forward, ie if you are right handed fight with your right hand in front, this goes against conventional boxing wisdom which has the power hand to the rear. I can not say if it will be a knock-out punch but with proper body mechanics you could have a very stiff jab on your hands not to mention a killer lead hook.
well two of the biggest names in recent history, oscar de la hoya, and mike tyson both are left handed but were trained to fight orthodox when they were kids. I knew this was true of oscar but i just found out recently about mike when i was watching some old footage. Mike use to switch stances though too. as far as the jab. yeah, it cant be just a flick though. you need to be moving forward and really trying to punch through his chin.. and you should be twisting your hips a little too. It can be done, but not if you have crappy and weak punching power. of course if your looking to do this on a good fighter with a good chin, your chances are not anything to get excited over

Quick case in point, check out Tank's fight with Don Frye, Tank decks Frye with what looks like stiff left jab, and let's be honest, Don was a pretty tough guy.
I also recall reading years ago that Sonny Liston had actually KO'd guys with his left 'jab'.

Bear in mind both Tank and especially Liston were what could be termed naturally 'heavy handed'.

The Jab is not a knockout punch... its a feeler...
but striking with your front hand doesn't have to be a jab..
read Bas Ruttens book.. he stands more square on.. so hes got a powerful punch on both sides...
JKD Straight lead is not a jab used in a different manner... it is not delivered from any set position...
Power like anything can indeed be trained and improved on... Power comes from speed and mass... with more emphisis on speed... Accuracy, body alignment, and cutting of all exess movement will increase the mass behind a punch (as will being a heavier person)... Relaxing mind and body, increase of fast twitch fibers in the muscle, will all add to your speed... Obviously strength training will also help..

trying to make ur jab a KO punch is just plain stupid. Guys like Liston had a jab that could KO u b/c, well, he was a huge bastard and had heavy hands. U can develop a quick, stiff jab (like i have) that can stop someone in their tracks, but it is and will always be a set up punch that can also act as a "stop" for an overaggressive fighter. It's true that heavy hands are born and its true for the case of a "KO jab". U can develop a stronger more authoritative jab, but never ever think of it as a KO punch, b/c that's trying to make a whip into a cannon and that's a big mistake.

leave the heavy hitting to your artillery

There are very very few people who can/could ko someone with a jab Larry Holmes and Sonny Liston where two of them.

You can develop a nasty jab that snaps heads back, and that is what you want. Develop it and learn to throw it at angles. If you have a nasty jab, most fighters will stay away from you and pick their shots.

Yes, if you step into it with more momentum and body weight, and give it proper placement on the chin, it can KO that fool. Just ask Vernon White if Chuck Jab has KO or Break your Orbital bone Power. Tank has KOd by Jab before too (Sorry, can't remember against who)

Back