TMA's

Godhand13

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience (preferably good experience) with TMA's? (Please don't flame or troll on this thread, I want to keep it serious)

I train in International Atemi JJ (mentioned it before) and my uncle teaches it. I mainly do it because it's something to do, they let me roll for 15-20 minutes at the end of class and there are a few techniques that they've shown me which can be utilized in MMA which have transitioned into my no gi grappling.
I would happily give it up if there was a MMA orientated class on the same night though such as kickboxing or grappling.

have trained in muay boran and krabi krabong long time.
will never stop.
besides the fancy sideshow stuff you see in demos it has good effective moves for self defence.

I went to a few Kyokushin Karate classes by my house before.

It's definitely the best version of Karate you can learn.

A solid and ugly 5 animal style here. Works great, has put atleast one person through an MMA match and turned out a few boxers.

I did 2 years of Shotokan Karate in High School and found it pretty useful. Sure I didn't like the katas and stuff, but we sparred every day, and a lot of techniques I find I'm using in muay thai now. Karate also helps strengthen my instep, so if I throw a kick and hit with my foot instead of my shin, it doesn't really hurt too much.

Karate for about 5 years then Wing Chun and later BJJ I will keep doing wc and bjj for a long time. The Karate was good too it was my foundation I don't regret anything I have trained in TMA

What is TMA to you?

I trained in Kyokushin for three years, and only recently quit because the dojo fell apart from lack of members. I see people flaming arts like karate and Kung Fu, and, judging from my own experience they seem to be bagging out shit that they have obviously never done, or only experienced from a McDojo

I have done karate for coming up on a year now. I like it. The sensei adapts the class to people's specific goals. For example, there is a prison guard in there who is trying to get back in shape, and some of the self-defense stuff the sensei skips with him because it would be useless or too dangerous in a maximum security prison setup.

The katas suck, but we do sparring and grappling as well. I know some people bash TMA's for lacking good technique or practicability but I find that to be false with where I train. IE - Round house kicks are pretty similar to mui tai roundhouse kicks, just add a chamber. God forbid if the sensei catches you not putting your hip into your kick .... your likely to get a quick kick yourself ;)

I agree; I find that the basics that they make you do really help your technique, for instance, the 'traditional' way that karateka punch, while useless in a sparring match, really helps to get your hips and shoulders into your punches

The Shotokan organization I'm in teaches legitimate, realistic techniques. I spent several years in a McDojo before it, so I can tell the difference between what's good and what isn't.

Ive trained a few and now I just do mma-

Forms are boring but its cool to learn a few, its not as loose as a gym in many ways and you need to know extra rules which sucks, and most of the students will be very odd people. Besides that, TMAs are awesome and everyone should give them a try.

I have trained:

- Kyokushin karate (TMA)
- Wing Chun Kung-FU (TMA)
- Long fist Kung-Fu (TMA)
- Taekwondo (TMA)
- Capoeira (TMA)
- Tai Chi (TMA)
- Muay Thai (TMA)

More modern hybrid arts:

- Krav-Maga
- Shootfighting
- MMA
- Modern Sanda
- Boxing

Most arts got something worth learning from them..

The Shotokan organization I'm in teaches legitimate, realistic techniques. I spent several years in a McDojo before it, so I can tell the difference between what's good and what isn't.

well there you go.. Thats the typical form of TMA.. Most techniques are useful IF you train them in a realistic way..

But so very few does that.

I have trained:

- Kyokushin karate (TMA)
- Wing Chun Kung-FU (TMA)
- Long fist Kung-Fu (TMA)
- Taekwondo (TMA)
- Capoeira (TMA)
- Tai Chi (TMA)
- Muay Thai (TMA)

More modern hybrid arts:

- Krav-Maga
- Shootfighting
- MMA
- Modern Sanda
- Boxing

Most arts got something worth learning from them..

Serious question: what was worth learning in capoeira and tai chi? Not to sound insulting, I just don't know much about them.

Tai chi has nothing at all to do with fighting. But its nice and relaxing. And i think i got a little better balanse for fighting from tai chi. :) Capoeira gave me some new ways to do kicks. Kicks that work well against people who more or less use only typical boxing and mt-moves. Same with footwork.

The best kick i got from capoeira was a frontkick you jump in with. Its not a jumping kick. You just does a little jump switch before you kick. Another good kick was a very low sweeping lowkick

Back