TJ's Performance in a nutshell

MarcusV1984

White Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes gameplans don't work in MMA because of the nature of the sport.

Besides Shogun/Machida I, in which the strategy was to weaken Lyoto's movement with leg kicks, was good, but didn't get him the win.

What TJ did over the course of 4 1/2 rounds was outstanding. He literally re-wrote the book on MMA striking.

The keys are this: He avoided Barao's speed, didn't allow him to create angles, didn't allow him to pick up on TJ's timing, and struck from his own angles.

Lateral movement: Fast footwork, darting in several directions to avoid angles made Barao's simple Muay Thai strategy null in void. Barao couldn't time TJ and ended up swinging at air most of the time.

Head movement: There is little to no head movement in MMA. It is mostly reserved for boxing. Standard kickboxing and muay thai train fighters to stand in front of their opponent and hope to overload with shots, counter punch, and create angles. Dillashaw trained fast head movement to avoid Barao's speed.

Feints/Unpredictability: This simply cannot be taught. TJ was practically the most unpredictable I've ever seen. Albeit some head kicks that were telegraphed, TJ was moving so much and feinting so much, that the standard Muay Thai that Barao is used to put him in another world. Barao did not know what was coming, and literally just stood in front of TJ, waiting to be punched.

Angles: With all of the first 3 keys in place, TJ could effectively strike when he wanted, and what he wanted with. He switched stances and his Barao with left straights, then he switched and went with overhand rights. Then he came at him with left high kicks.

Overall it was brilliant. Just brilliant. This is how you counter a fast, powerful, Muay Thai striker. It's not easy. But TJ made it look easy. How he was able to do it within a single camp is astonishing. The real test is to see what we will see next from him. He's probably got Mizugaki, Assuncao, and Cruz on the horizon. I think the Cruz fight will be interesting.

Man did that kid improve since his tuf days. what a performance!

I don't know that he necessarily rewrote the book but he represented it well. He showed what I think is one of the most effective "style" of striking for MMA in an octagon with mma gloves.

Joe Rogan said he looked like a high level kickboxer out there, and I understand where he was coming from but what he was doing was applying a lot of striking principles to an MMA style fight. You wouldn't see a kickboxer doing a lot of that stuff but MMA is it's own sport.

Good post. I disagree that the feints/unpredictability can't be taught. TJ didn't have it before, and now he does. It just shows the level of striking in MMA still has a lot of room to grow.

cruz and faber did the fusion dance and tj's fighting style was born

that was some performance, TJ showed why the lighter weightclasses are the best imo.

I never expected such a striking clinic from TJ in a million years.

His movement and unpredictability was on another level. It was like watching a Frankie Edgar with better striking.

If he keeps improving like this, it's going to be hard to take the belt away from him. Are the wrestlers in that weight-class that can out-wrestle him? None come to mind.

Everyone's beatable but he looked untouchable in that fight.

I don't know that he necessarily rewrote the book but he represented it well. He showed what I think is one of the most effective "style" of striking for MMA in an octagon with mma gloves.

Joe Rogan said he looked like a high level kickboxer out there, and I understand where he was coming from but what he was doing was applying a lot of striking principles to an MMA style fight. You wouldn't see a kickboxer doing a lot of that stuff but MMA is it's own sport.

Good post. I disagree that the feints/unpredictability can't be taught. TJ didn't have it before, and now he does. It just shows the level of striking in MMA still has a lot of room to grow.

Rogan did say that, but high level kickboxers done move their heads and don't move laterally.

MMA fights have changed since the introduction of Machida, Jones, Cruz, Aldo, Barao, and now Dillashaw.

Agree 100%, MMA fights can be whatever the fighters want them to be. They can be straight up brawls, boxing fights, muay thai fights, dutch-style kickboxing fights, and what we saw last night.

What we saw last night was definitely a breath of fresh air. It wasn't boring, but it wasn't reckless. A tactical battle every second of the fight. TJ got hit a few times, but he minimized the damage done.

His movement and unpredictability was on another level. It was like watching a Frankie Edgar with better striking.

If he keeps improving like this, it's going to be hard to take the belt away from him. Are the wrestlers in that weight-class that can out-wrestle him? None come to mind.

He's working with Bang Ludwig, he's going to get better if he listens. But his confidence was through the roof. He came in with a game plan but also knew what to do in different situations with tactical precision.

I agree about the wrestling, high level grapplers in that weight class will have a hard time getting him down. Then they'll just be in a striking match with him. And he just beat the best striker in the division.

Isn't Ludwig leaving them? I wish that he weren't

I love this thread. Very well worded responses as well. Agreed that feints CAN be learned.

Someone made a great point in another post: TJ had a couple training camps to prep other Alphas for this fight.

TJ did something I had never seen before: he kept it 100% til going to sleep.

I was thinking his performance was a perfect example of how much a young team alpha male can improve in a short time, faber, benevidez and others have improved with bangs help but theyve been in the game for so long they probably will never completely correct their tendencies (i dothink think all those guys are great fighters) but TJ being so young he was able to pick up on more things in a short amount of time. My mind was blown by that performance, im still in shock

I was thinking his performance was a perfect example of how much a young team alpha male can improve in a short time, faber, benevidez and others have improved with bangs help but theyve been in the game for so long they probably will never completely correct their tendencies (i dothink think all those guys are great fighters) but TJ being so young he was able to pick up on more things in a short amount of time. My mind was blown by that performance, im still in shock

This! A lot of the TAM guys are stuck in their ways, while Bang helped them get power and speed to the their striking, helping them with more finishes, I don't see anyone but Dillashaw getting a belt. Bang is now gone, unless Mendes spends more time with him, it's unlikely he'll beat Aldo.

Same here, and great analysis TS

cruz and faber did the fusion dance and tj's fighting style was born

Nah, this basically is Cruz his style as well. Tj vs Cruz will be a sick tactical battle, hope Cruz comes back strong after all these injuries.

I liked the fact that he went in there not giving a fuck. Truly a great performance.

I've been calling him "Shark Chum" leading up to the fight. Man, so many words Im eating right now. He looked nothing short of stellar.

Sometimes I wonder how much those big punches early in the fight affect the other guy. Renan was basically out in the first. After that he just didn't never got anything going and never seemed focused. I wonder if he even remembers much of the fight after that?

Back