Title Defenses is the Most Overrated Stat in UFC History

You’re not wrong but you’re not entirely right. Everyone is conditioned to look at a number

TJ Dillashaw beating Joe Soto clearly does much more for his legacy than beating John Lineker, becuase they slapped title defense on it.

GSP and Jose and Anderson and all them fighting for a belt so soon after joining the UFC is just a matter of factly thing, it’s not fair to people ten years later who had to build themselves up but it wouldn’t be fair to the legacies of these older fighters to say “well the younger fighter could probably do it too so let’s penalise you for becoming champ quick“

I mean I’d argue GSP doesn’t even fall into this category, he became champ in his 8th ufc fight, losing the first time to Matt hughes at 23. He had to beat Karo, Trigg, Sherk, Penn, and maybe some other notable guy I can’t think of

To me, it’s who you beat and how. If you beat someone 30-27 completely dominant every round without slowing down, is that better than beating the same person 48-47 in a close fought battle?

It’s not number of defenses, cause you can just fight people who aren’t even elite and rack up defenses, that’s the case for quite a few DJ defenses, the guys barely had to win any fights to get the shot, they stood no chance, then they went on losing streaks afterwards, like Borg and Elliott

Its quality of opponents you’ve beaten and how, how close, did you finish them, were you down before the finish, etcetera

someone said “ defenses is what matters cause that’s what people see in the future” You’re telling me people can’t take a look at your record in the future on Wikipedia or something?

Obviously title defenses matter.... because every defense is a top 5 win... khabib and max fought guys that weren't title worthy on their rise to fame....

Jerome debuted against future interim Poirier
Fought McGregor later
And then Oliveira and Pettis

So he fought 4 champs, before he got the belt.
With Swanson and Lamas as title contenders

its the best parameter we have. They matter, of course they do.

Fact: Just looking at the record with a 0 next to it for losses, without context of quantity of quality opposition is the most overrated stat in UFC history.

I did an entire thread series on champions with the least-to-most top ten ranked wins, which I think is one of the best metrics to determine divisional GOATs because it counts top ten wins that weren't title defenses (i.e. Jones vs. Bader) and it excludes title defenses with undeserving challengers (i.e. Jones vs. Sonnen); there's still the variable of comparing eras but nothing that can be done about that.

These are the champions with the most wins in their divisions:

(12) Fedor Emelianenko
(11) Jon Jones
(9) Anderson Silva
(16) Georges St-Pierre
(8) Takanori Gomi
(12) Jose Aldo
(10) Dominick Cruz
(12) Demetrious Johnson

You need to clarify that you used FigthMatriz, which is a bullshit source
It looks like you try to hide it, as if you felt embarrassed or something

I was looking at the "All Time GOAT" Poll and everyone was highly valuing "Title Defenses" which DOES matter but shouldn't be the MAIN argument against many fighters and their legacies.
We need to stop this BJ Penn vs Khabib Lightweight GOAT and Jose Aldo vs Volk Featherweight GOAT debates

The problem with that metric is that the variance in WHEN they got the title shot:

BJ Penn- 2 Fights before Title shot
Jose Aldo- Got the UFC belt from the jump(Worked his way from WEC but still)
Anderson Silva - Got a title shot after ONE fight in the UFC
Jon Jones- 3 Fights before Title Fight(Short Notice)
GSP - 4 Fights(3 Fights for Long Reign)
Demetrious Johnson- 2 Fights(Flyweight Tournament)
Tim Sylvia - 2 Fights Before Title shot
Anthony Pettis- 2 Fights before Title Shot
and So forth

On the other hand you got other great fighters who had to win FAR more fights before the title but are often LEFT OUT because they got their titles FAR later Legacy Wise
Khabib - 9 Fights Before Title Shot
Max Holloway - 9 Fights Before Title Shot
Charles Oliviera- 7 Fights Before Title Shot

This being the overall title defense stats:

Also, the arguement about "You face the best when you're the champion", that is true however how do we know they couldnt beat those contenders if they had gotten the title shot after 2-3 fights? Is anyone really stopping Khabib or Max during their 6+ win streak if they got the title shot after 2 or 3 fights like the rest?

The route to tittle short was shorter back in the day, but still, you need to educate a bit on the context:

Silva signed by UFC already highly touted and credited, that's why he was scheduled for a #1 contender bout in his debut. Similar to Michael Chandler in modern day.

Jones had 7 fights before getting his tittle shot. All dominant performances

I was looking at the "All Time GOAT" Poll and everyone was highly valuing "Title Defenses" which DOES matter but shouldn't be the MAIN argument against many fighters and their legacies.
We need to stop this BJ Penn vs Khabib Lightweight GOAT and Jose Aldo vs Volk Featherweight GOAT debates

The problem with that metric is that the variance in WHEN they got the title shot:

BJ Penn- 2 Fights before Title shot
Jose Aldo- Got the UFC belt from the jump(Worked his way from WEC but still)
Anderson Silva - Got a title shot after ONE fight in the UFC
Jon Jones- 3 Fights before Title Fight(Short Notice)
GSP - 4 Fights(3 Fights for Long Reign)
Demetrious Johnson- 2 Fights(Flyweight Tournament)
Tim Sylvia - 2 Fights Before Title shot
Anthony Pettis- 2 Fights before Title Shot
and So forth

On the other hand you got other great fighters who had to win FAR more fights before the title but are often LEFT OUT because they got their titles FAR later Legacy Wise
Khabib - 9 Fights Before Title Shot
Max Holloway - 9 Fights Before Title Shot
Charles Oliviera- 7 Fights Before Title Shot

This being the overall title defense stats:

Also, the arguement about "You face the best when you're the champion", that is true however how do we know they couldnt beat those contenders if they had gotten the title shot after 2-3 fights? Is anyone really stopping Khabib or Max during their 6+ win streak if they got the title shot after 2 or 3 fights like the rest?

This argument falls apart if you apply to all fighters..

Should all fighters have to fight every single person in their division then because if so Khabib probably would of lost before getting the title ( he arguably did against Tibau ) and Holloway lost key fights throughout his career... Why do people now and days not understand what CONTEXT IS... 16-0 vs russian nobodys isnt equivalent to beating some of the best in Pride FC ( Anderson silva) and GSP fought fighters with winning records all the way through his entire career from a country who only had a hand full of fighters to ever come out of it? .

Its a strange thing to try and apply what your saying seeing as both guys where champion's at the end of the day... nobody's two paths are the same what matters is they made it to the title shot and won and defended their titles ..that makes them champions...

Funny how all the champs contradict you TS. All of them talk about how much harder is to stay on top than to get on top.
The pressure, everyone gunning for you, etc.

And it's not like it's something that has been replicated easily since the era of the UFC GOATs.

You can tell guys trying very hard to justify Khabib as the overall Goat has only started watching MMA in the Conor era, if you followed the sport before that you'd know better

I swear every month we see some new account, most probably opened by banned posters who most probably joined around 2018, open up the exact same thread. Its always dudes which have other fighters in their avatar, fighters they claim to be a fan of but never post about them (shout out at @Goosemen), and then go on to do nothing but praise the Dagi crew, attack everyone who says anything against them, and who come up with the idea that title defenses are nothing compared to GOAT features as "never cut, never bleed" etc.

It's not really overrated. On average the competition you face in a title defense is going to be much higher than the fights you get before a title shot.

I mean are you really going to compare 9 opponents Khabib fought before the title to 9 opponents GSP fought while defending? That's...straight up crazy.

You're right, but Sherdog autistic nerds won't listen to you.

You're right, but Sherdog autistic nerds won't listen to you.
Creating mental gymnastics to put guys like Khabib in the conversation with Jones, GSP and Silva is pretty autistic, to be fair.

Far from nerdy though because nerds tend to be smart and this isn't particularly smart.

Worst is Tyrone being champ for 3-4 years on 4 wins and 1 draw.

Back