Title Black Boxing Gloves Review

Aleksej

White Belt
Reaction score
Background
I'm 13 years old and I have been kickboxing/thai boxing for the last 3 or so years now.
My first pair of gloves was a cheap local brand, that I used for the first couple of months of training, till I picked up on some of the basics, followed by a pair of lonsdale sparring gloves and now, the title black boxing gloves. I am probably no where near the ideal person to try and review a pair of gloves for the gear junkies that post on here, but I'm gonna give it a shot.
I ordered these during winter, while a family member was in the US, I ordered around 500$ worth of stuff from the titleboxing website and I was thrilled to invest what I had been saving into gear for what I love. I saw the black line on the website, and I really liked it. I was struggling to choose between whether I should get the 200$ model, or the 150$ model. I asked questions on the title boxing live chat frequently, and they told me that the only difference is that the boxing glove is more of an overall boxing glove, which I fail to understand. Anyways, turns out those extra 50$ that I cut to make space for my other needs has made all the difference.

Aesthetics:cool:
This glove probably won me over by looking cool, as I said in a previous post, I'm 13, and was unfortunately easily swayed by just the looks of this line. This glove comes in an all black colorway and it is basically a combination of "regular" black leather, the shiny stuff, and a rougher type bit. The shiny parts, and the imprinted letters and stuff are probably a dislike for many, but the flashiness was what I liked about this glove. One thing I don't like about the glove is the overuse of the shiny leather, I would have liked to see it only on the thumb area and the wrist strap. No big deal though. It only makes the glove look a bit cheaper, another thing that contributes is the big white warning they put inside the glove.
Performance
Because of the wrist strap issue that I will cover later on, I could only use this glove to some extent. I had to double wrap my hands, and I used the glove for pad work and light bag work/drilling. When I wrap correctly though, this glove really does perform great. Using it on the bag the first couple of times I was wondering if I had been hitting weaker or not, that is because I was used to my lonsdale gloves, in which realistically the padding sucked, but I could pound them for 10 years and i don't think they would budge. These gloves really do give you a feeling of high end protection and performance, even with their faults.
Padding
The padding on this glove is great, it sort of reminds me of one of those special foamed type pillows in a way, and has a great feeling to it. The padding is great, but I feel as if it is a little front heavy, and that they could have distributed it a bit better to help with wrist support. The padding feels to have two layers, one thicker higher density layer on the top and a bit spongier one under. The padding is definitely a plus of this glove.
Lining
The lining inside this glove is great, only after closely examining it I see how good it actually is. It rarely stays wet for long, and the material is a flexible type cloth which works great. Another plus with this glove.
Wrist support
No matter how many good sides a glove has, all it takes is one major downfall. In this glove its the wrist support system. I just look at it and think WHY? did nobody over at title try this glove before they started selling them? It's just pure gimmick, you cant fasten it nicely at all, which in combination with my small hands does not work well. They also decided to add this gimmicky material in the wrist support, sort of like a flipped leather type of thing, which is also on the back of the thumb part. I don't understand why they added this material, since it does not really look compatible with sweat and blood. Even if they did decide to add the crap material in the wrist strap, they could have at least added enough velcro for me to be able to fasten the thing.
Price
The price of this glove is 150$ which is just completely unjustifiable for a glove that has a completely faulty wrist strap.
Durability
I sort of doubt the durability of this glove, because of the gimmicky leather which might fail the rest of the glove prematurely, if anybody understands what I mean. After like 2 months, the glove is fine, but I am being gentle with it to spare it.
Overall
This glove works, but it leaves me disappointed. With a good wrist strap, and all the gimmicks removed, this glove would be truly top notch. I really do have mixed feelings with this glove, and it is very hard to rate it, but it would probably be around a 6/10.
Title boxing experience
The order and everything went fine, but then I found the title questions thread, and I posted about the wrist strap, and Wes offered to help me out with that. Currently we are still trying to figure something out.

This is my first review, and I didn't really know what to include, so please ask any questions you have.
Pictures by aleksejj - Photobucket

Being 13, I think the wrist strap issue is due to having 13 year old arms/wrists, as the gloves are designed for adults. If they are a big problem, you can tape them to keep them closed, until you grow into them.

It most definitely contributes, but I am positive it is not completely on my side. I read a review on amazon which points out the same exact thing.
"I couldn't wait to put them to use, but when I put them on I immediately noticed that the wrist support was not there and the strap around the wrist fully closed was still too loose. My friend tried them on and agreed. I'm a 185 pound 5'9" man and I figured these should have fit a lot better. I purchased the 16 oz size, so maybe less weighted gloves may fit differently, but there was way too much give at the wrist."
Here is part of the amazon review.

Being 13, I think the wrist strap issue is due to having 13 year old arms/wrists, as the gloves are designed for adults. If they are a big problem, you can tape them to keep them closed, until you grow into them.

Did you look at the pictures?
This looks like pretty horrible design:
DSCN3168.jpg

Admittedly, I'm pretty biased against Title products.
I don't like their "fake" Boon gloves and really don't like the way the rest of their gloves fit.
Even if these weren't Title gloves, I am sure I would not be a fan of this design.
The glossy "leather" & raised logo on the thumbs of these gloves is asking for trouble.
The fact that there is a significant portion of velcro on the inner cuff & outer forearm is a bad idea if you do any sort of clinching in your sparring. I could see even just missed punches causing bad velcro cuts or unfastening of the glove.
The phrase "all form, no function" comes to mind.

Nice review and pics. You should definitely get those gloves either replaced or take your money back with a velcro that doesn't even work properly.

Did you look at the pictures?
This looks like pretty horrible design:
DSCN3168.jpg

Admittedly, I'm pretty biased against Title products.
I don't like their "fake" Boon gloves and really don't like the way the rest of their gloves fit.
Even if these weren't Title gloves, I am sure I would not be a fan of this design.
The glossy "leather" & raised logo on the thumbs of these gloves is asking for trouble.
The fact that there is a significant portion of velcro on the inner cuff & outer forearm is a bad idea if you do any sort of clinching in your sparring. I could see even just missed punches causing bad velcro cuts or unfastening of the glove.
The phrase "all form, no function" comes to mind.

It is called patent leather, which Grant uses on a lot of their high end gloves; it is leather that has been clear coated. Yes, I did look at the picture, he is also 13 which means he is still a little kid - the gloves are designed for adults; for example my wrists are 18cm around, if the strap fit on me like that, I would be concerned. Gorilla Fight Gear use a similar Velcro closure on their Kong gloves, which Clamp did a review on, and he said the closure system was quite good, but it would come undone once in a while after taking a direct hit.

Also, the rough Velcro is facing down with the soft Velcro facing up on the glove; I have never had an issue before with being rubbed by the loop portion of the Velcro, as long has the quality stuff was used.

I don't mean that these gloves are perfect by any means, but the wrist size will contribute greatly to the fit and support.

Last edited:
Thanks for your time and the effort taken with your review.It is appreciated and I am sure you will have helped some folk make up their minds who may have been sitting upon the fence.

And at the risk of sounding condescending you write very well for a 13 year old in what I presume is not your first language...

Again,thanks.

Thanks for your time and the effort taken with your review.It is appreciated and I am sure you will have helped some folk make up their minds who may have been sitting upon the fence.

And at the risk of sounding condescending you write very well for a 13 year old in what I presume is not your first language...

Again,thanks.

I was thinking the same thing. You are a very well spoken young man, when I was 13 the only thing that you would hear me saying were dick and fart jokes.......not much has changed:redface:

I am like 130lbs or so (soaking wet) and my winning, rival, twins, fairtex, cleto reyes hook and loop all fit my girly wrists perfectly with no issues with the velcro closure system whatsoever.

It is called patent leather, which Grant uses on a lot of their high end gloves; it is leather that has been clear coated. Yes, I did look at the picture, he is also 13 which means he is still a little kid - the gloves are designed for adults; for example my wrists are 18cm around, if the strap fit on me like that, I would be concerned. Gorilla Fight Gear use a similar Velcro closure on their Kong gloves, which Clamp did a review on, and he said the closure system was quite good, but it would come undone once in a while after taking a direct hit.

Also, the rough Velcro is facing down with the soft Velcro facing up on the glove; I have never had an issue before with being rubbed by the loop portion of the Velcro, as long has the quality stuff was used.

I don't mean that these gloves are perfect by any means, but the wrist size will contribute greatly to the fit and support.

I am like 130lbs or so (soaking wet) and my winning, rival, twins, fairtex, cleto reyes hook and loop all fit my girly wrists perfectly with no issues with the velcro closure system whatsoever.

As I said, the TBs aren't perfect and not made to fit everyone; the gloves you listed offer a wrap around velcro strap, which offers a wider range of fit.

Hey, would you recommend your cleto reyes over TB? I am saving up for a pair of more expensive gloves...

Btw, thank you very much for the review and pics! Man, if you didn't tell me you were 13, I could never have guessed so! :icon_chee

I see what you meant. I guess what i am trying to say is that a good pair of gloves should be able to accommodate his small wrists. But hand compartment is a different thing.

As I said, the TBs aren't perfect and not made to fit everyone; the gloves you listed offer a wrap around velcro strap, which offers a wider range of fit.

Nice review and pics. You should definitely get those gloves either replaced or take your money back with a velcro that doesn't even work properly.

Thanks, I talked to Wes about it and I will very likely get a new pair, in which case I will review that pair and see how it holds up.

Again,thanks.

No problem, glad to help.

Thank you.

I never wore children type gloves, and never had this problem. I am sure it is the gloves fault, sure, if I did have 340lbs maybe this glove would fit a bit differently.

I was thinking the same thing. You are a very well spoken young man, when I was 13 the only thing that you would hear me saying were dick and fart jokes.......not much has changed:redface:

Thank you, I tried not to sound too 13. :D

Valid points.

Seems patent leather is not in vogue with commissions though, as it was refused for the Cotto-Mayweather fight. I would think the seems would be pretty dangerous for leather as stiff as that.

I understand he's 13, but his wrists don't look that small from the picture. I have small wrists and I doubt the gloves would fit me any better.

Was not aware about the stiff part of the velcro facing in - a bit better than I'd pictured. Still, I've had problems with glovers' assistants popping open just from being lightly touched in the clinch, or from parrying someone else's punches; let alone a direct hit. I can only imagine what kind of inconvenience it would be if the strap were hanging off like in the picture.

The Title Boon lace-up are the same as K-StarGear wrist strap gloves and their bag gloves are the same. Last year every supplier had trouble with their quality control, from K-stargear, Title, and MuayThaiFighting.

Please post proof to this outlandish accusation.

The Title Boon lace-up are the same as K-StarGear wrist strap gloves and their bag gloves are the same. Last year every supplier had trouble with their quality control, from K-stargear, Title, and MuayThaiFighting.

Please post proof to this outlandish accusation.

I did take pictures with my cell phone before I mailed the gloves back.
Here's a link, tho not sure how much good it would do:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/115238803432533546154/posts/HYEfuRxmBW2

In the pictures (which are admittedly low quality), it's a little hard to tell the difference between the thin leather with matte finish (title knock offs) & the thick leather with glossy finish (real boons). It's also hard to tell the difference between shaped/curved foam on the back of the hand & cuff (real boons) vs the flattened foam (titles). If you look close you can see it.

"Outlandish accusation" are pretty strong words.
Search this forum, I'm not the only one making this claim.
EDIT: "Outlandish" would be if I voiced as fact my sneaking suspicion that the small Boon Thai Pads I got from Title last fall were in fact re-badged Title Classics.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add these pictures of the two versions.

the $150 version he bought:
titleboxing_2218_89578960

the $200 version:
titleboxing_2218_93870973

I would say the elastic strap is a huge problem.

Also, Grant's gloves with the patent leather has been used in fights before; for some reason the commission took exception that fight for some reason, I was talking to Elvis about it.

Back