tips or combinations attacking from angles?

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
rather then attacking straight ahead....any tips, combination and/or setup attacking from angles

The quick answer is you can't. It's impossible to initiate an exchange from angle because come on, you're standing directly in front of the guy and it's physically not possible to use your footwork faster than he can just turn and face you.

You generally can only initiate angles off a movement that your opponent commits himself to, whether it's an offense or defensive movement he commits himself to.

The quick answer is you can't. It's impossible to initiate an exchange from angle because come on, you're standing directly in front of the guy and it's physically not possible to use your footwork faster than he can just turn and face you.

You generally can only initiate angles off a movement that your opponent commits himself to, whether it's an offense or defensive movement he commits himself to.

Strictly speaking what you said is pretty much true but it might give people the wrong impression and that wasn't only what the TS asked for. Yes you can just simply move faster than him but you'd have to be pretty fast and him very sluggish or not concentrating.

For boxing you can certainly set them up with an attack. Any jab combo with a rear hand in it and you can step off with to the same side as your rear foot. So if you were both orthodox, jab jab, step forward and right with your right foot and then throw the right hand from outside his left side. Moving to the outside is a lot safer for finding angles because once there you can't be reached until he re squares his hips.

You can move to the inside but you have to either move very close while keeping low and offline to the outside so it shuts down his rear hand or time it to slip his attack which would be most safely used against his rear hand. If you decide to move in then you should only do it off an attack normally the jab to keep him occupied.

Wow! I wish somebody told Muhammad Ali that before he won the heavyweight world title using footwork and angles to beat the shit out of every slower, more powerful boxer he faced in his prime.

Maybe Ali was psychic and knew where Liston and Frazier were going to step before they moved and that's why he could manipulate the angles.:icon_conf

I suppose that you didn't watch what Frankie Edgar did to BJ Penn with footwork and angles either!?

Dumb answer man. Sorry.

Wow! I wish somebody told Muhammad Ali that before he won the heavyweight world title using footwork and angles to beat the shit out of every slower, more powerful boxer he faced in his prime.

Maybe Ali was psychic and knew where Liston and Frazier were going to step before they moved and that's why he could manipulate the angles.:icon_conf

I suppose that you didn't watch what Frankie Edgar did to BJ Penn with footwork and angles either!?

Dumb answer man. Sorry.

You might say he was. Ali was very very good at convincing people to attack were he wanted them to instead of were they should. That was the magic of his foot work. He made them commit one way as he moved the other.

Exactly the correct reply, in my opinion. However, unless the other's posters read carefully it may get misinterpreted, that said..... i agree with you, with exception to you saying it is "impossible" to initiate an attack from an angle..... It is exceptionally difficult, but not impossible, that said it is near impossible to do in the middle of the ring (short of your opponent really falling for a feint, or foot feint...... or you have an exceptionally quick and tight pivot of your front foot) but if your opponent has sufficient room to have mobility it is gonna be very tough, even tougher against a skilled guy.However, if ya get his back on the ropes or in a corner it is possible to initiate an exchange from an angle......

Dumb answer man. Sorry.

Muhammed Ali did not initiate exchanges from angles (read the post closely before you reply), he found angles using footwork and countered off angles, his ability to find that angle was reactionary to his opponents movement when they were defending or attacking........ as Ambertech noted "You generally can only initiate angles off a movement that your opponent commits himself to", which is exactly what Ali did, same applies to Edgar.... And Edgar didn't use that many angles, he used a lot of in-out movement and volume striking to push that pace...... he did use some, but it wasnt an overwhelming portion of his offensive performance.

rather then attacking straight ahead....any tips, combination and/or setup attacking from angles

jab, pivot, attack

or

jab, lateral step, attack

that is the basis for creating angles offensively!

Dumb answer man. Sorry.

Yes, Ali was sort of psychic. Next question?

And I don't think Edgar won lol

Exactly the correct reply, in my opinion. However, unless the other's posters read carefully it may get misinterpreted, that said..... i agree with you, with exception to you saying it is "impossible" to initiate an attack from an angle..... It is exceptionally difficult, but not impossible, that said it is near impossible to do in the middle of the ring (short of your opponent really falling for a feint, or foot feint...... or you have an exceptionally quick and tight pivot of your front foot) but if your opponent has sufficient room to have mobility it is gonna be very tough, even tougher against a skilled guy.However, if ya get his back on the ropes or in a corner it is possible to initiate an exchange from an angle......

Muhammed Ali did not initiate exchanges from angles (read the post closely before you reply), he found angles using footwork and countered off angles, his ability to find that angle was reactionary to his opponents movement when they were defending or attacking........ as Ambertech noted "You generally can only initiate angles off a movement that your opponent commits himself to", which is exactly what Ali did, same applies to Edgar.... And Edgar didn't use that many angles, he used a lot of in-out movement and volume striking to push that pace...... he did use some, but it wasnt an overwhelming portion of his offensive performance.

Ali constantly attacked with his jab. It's not as devastating as a 2-3 combination, but an attack none the less. The point of his attack was to bait his opponent to counter so he could slip, move a pounce.

Edgar did use an in-out attack... off of his circling of BJ, which created angles. When BJ didn't catch up to Edgar circling, he created an open angle which Edgar jumped on with a flurry.

From an orthodox stance:
Left jab, Left hook, cicle right, right cross.

It's effective depending upon your reach.

The jab is the best weapon to create openings.

Any movement should be at an angle to or from your opponent, never straight in or out. Step at 45 or side step, pivot, etc. Whether attacking or defending your head needs to move out of the center of vision. If you do that the angles will come from your opponent's defense and counters.

Feint right cross, step up and out, left hook to body. (For orthodox).

awesome advice guys. can this still be applied to muay thai or kickboxing?

Dumb answer man. Sorry.

You forget that Frazier fights were VERY competitive and Ali actually lost and got his jaw broken after being knocked down in one of them.

Back