Tips on first few sparring matches

Paperclip_90

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So I've been training boxing on-and-off for a while and my trainer informed of of this Anniversary thing they have at our gym where they hold a few amateur fights and he asks me whether or not I'm interested, to which of course I answer yes.

I'm supposed to start full sparring now (yes, until now I've only hit bags, balls and mitts). I do have a general knowledge of how to strike (I watch a hellova lot of MMA, and boxing occassionally).

I'm pretty sure I have a lot of power for my weight class, but my endurance is a bit shady (I get tired after 3 3minute rounds of mitts). My footwork and evasion are decent but not special. My technique is also decent, but then again, probably nothing special. I'm 5'6.5 at 130 pounds.

So my question is, what style of boxing should someone like me use, so that I could base my fighting on that and further improve it as I get used to sparring.

Should I just use my power and brawl? counterpunch? Stay on the outside? Is going for that knockout punch immediately a good idea with the headgear and all?

btw, I'm using boxing as a base to hopefully move to MMA.

Most of all, circle your opponent. Don't stand in one spot. Be a moving target.

Jab ALOT. Remember to throw combos and not just jabs.

Should I just use my power and brawl? counterpunch? Stay on the outside? Is going for that knockout punch immediately a good idea with the headgear and all?

btw, I'm using boxing as a base to hopefully move to MMA.

I wouldn't go for "knockout" punches if you are sparring

My first sparring session was too hectic for me to think about what I should be doing. It was more just trying to not get beat up.

You'll figure out what you need to try to implement as you get more used to sparring. That's what it is for, to learn and improve yourself.

I say just jump in there and figure it out as you go.

I'm pretty sure I have a lot of power for my weight class, but my endurance is a bit shady (I get tired after 3 3minute rounds of mitts). My footwork and evasion are decent but not special. My technique is also decent, but then again, probably nothing special. I'm 5'6.5 at 130 pounds.

As a side point, why is it that everyone who trains sporadically and who asks questions on the net has good/great power in their punches/kicks? Are there no average punchers/kickers on the internet? It seems there are alot of folks with dynamite out there, and I wonder why I meet very few of them in and out of boxing and kickboxing gyms for the past 10+years?

just get in there and figure out weak points in ur striking and fix that and see if u see a change for the better

My first sparring session was too hectic for me to think about what I should be doing. It was more just trying to not get beat up.

You'll figure out what you need to try to implement as you get more used to sparring. That's what it is for, to learn and improve yourself.

I say just jump in there and figure it out as you go.

Truth. Keep in mind the basics. Thats all you can do.

As a side point, why is it that everyone who trains sporadically and who asks questions on the net has good/great power in their punches/kicks? Are there no average punchers/kickers on the internet? It seems there are alot of folks with dynamite out there, and I wonder why I meet very few of them in and out of boxing and kickboxing gyms for the past 10+years?

I'm not bragging or anything, just repeating what my trainer says.

The questions are for the actual Amateur bout itself and not just the sparring sessions.

I'm have a lot more experience with rolling and I'm used to getting the theories first then applying them actual sparring.

Maybe you are, but I read it SO much on the internet. I wonder why I never run into all these brick handed monsters.

If you spaz out and swing with power or try to hurt someone expect to be quickly and decisively knocked out - remember this is not their first camping trip cowboy.

Relax and keep your hands up. Work on throwing good clean technique. Don't worry about getting hurt and try not to think too much.

toughguy.jpg

Tough guys: The internets are full of them!

Don't go crazy, but stay active. My friend lost an amateur fight to a "more active" fighter who hit him with a lot of pitty pat shots that did NO damage. My friend hit more power shots, but sometimes its quantity not quality, especially depending on the judges. Don't throw too much, though, if 3 3-minute rounds on the mitts get you that tired...lol

Don't go crazy, but stay active. My friend lost an amateur fight to a "more active" fighter who hit him with a lot of pitty pat shots that did NO damage. My friend hit more power shots, but sometimes its quantity not quality, especially depending on the judges. Don't throw too much, though, if 3 3-minute rounds on the mitts get you that tired...lol

That's what amatuer fights are; lots of pitty patty shots.

all i can really say is feel yourself out during sparring, see what you want to do. You haven't really given us deep detail because you dont know yet, you need to get in there first, find what you like and adjust your training to the way you fight.

If your a counterpuncher, you work on lots of reflex drills, blocking and evading drills and footwork and throwing small combos and getting out on the mits

if your an outside fighter who takes it into the later rounds, you work cardio a lot, footwork a lot, on the mits your jab is going to outpunch your other punches by A LOT!

if your a brawler you work on getting inside, having a good defense, throwing good clean power shots and getting in and out and then back in at the right time. on the mits you throw... hard for all the rounds you go for.

Got it over with earlier today. Did some light mitts because the I arrived at the gym a little early.

The guy i was supposed to spar with didnt show up so I had to fight one of the trainers there in my weight class.

All in all, I think I did decently. We did I tried to circle away from his power hand at first, but that didn't do me any good. I seem to have most success at jab range and very close quarters. Generally most of my clean hits are from 2 or 3 jabs, straight, going crazy when he covers up, slipping away when he starts to counter. I hardly landed any hooks and uppercuts cleanly mainly because I have yet to work out the range to throw them in. My defense was pretty good as I leaned my head out of range for most of his jabs.

The most important thing was that it was fun as hell. That's what's gonna keep me training and getting better. I seemed to give everyone a laugh when I went for a crazy superman punch that managed to land and push him back a bit.

Anyway, thanks for all of your advice.

Back