tips/advice: going to thailand

bumma

White Belt
Reaction score
So I finally booked a flight to phuket, made reservations at a hotel, and contacted a muay thai camp. I've been training pretty hard to get ready as I'm going at the end of the month and I'm in decent shape. I guess wrestling, bjj, lifting, and running on top of muay thai will do that to you. Anyways for those that you have been to thailand, I was looking for any tips or advice on anything. Training, food, useful phrases, what to watch out for, etc. It's not my first time overseas as I've traveled across the world, but it is my first time in thailand. Oh also I have a more specific question. Is it better to buy gear there or just order from fairtext or something (i.e gloves, shorts)? Thanks for the help.

bumma said:
So I finally booked a flight to phuket, made reservations at a hotel, and contacted a muay thai camp. I've been training pretty hard to get ready as I'm going at the end of the month and I'm in decent shape. I guess wrestling, bjj, lifting, and running on top of muay thai will do that to you. Anyways for those that you have been to thailand, I was looking for any tips or advice on anything. Training, food, useful phrases, what to watch out for, etc. It's not my first time overseas as I've traveled across the world, but it is my first time in thailand. Oh also I have a more specific question. Is it better to buy gear there or just order from fairtext or something (i.e gloves, shorts)? Thanks for the help.

Sawadeekrup = Hello
Chaai = Yes
Mai Chaai = No
Farang = Foreigner
Pom Rak Koon = I love you (idk why you'd need this)
Sok = Elbow
Teep = Push kick

ahhh I can't think of much else right now. These are off the top of my head.

Wash your shorts every day. And/or bring several pair of Thai shorts. They shower frequently; before each meal if they can.

Don't eat too fast or too much.

Do NOT touch anyone on the head (unless it's a punch), not even children. The head is sacred in Buddhism.

On the other hand, the feet are considered the dirtiest part. Never point your feet at someone, and it should go without saying to never put your foot on someone's head.

If you happen to have a wife or girlfriend with you, make sure they dress conservatively. Short skirts and tanktops in Thailand indicate that you are a prostitute, and you'll be treated accordingly.

Bring all your own equipment, and stock up on mouthpieces; they're not used much in Thailand from what I've heard.

If you can, give yourself a few days before training. Get used to the climate. A lot of people complain that they feel sick to their stomach the first few days.

I can't really tell you how to avoid being robbed, but obviously follow the general rule of thumb; act and appear thrifty in public. You should be o.k. though.

Always work your hardest, and be polite, and you'll earn other boxers' respect.

I don't know how they do things at the camp you're going to, but typically I believe you eat twice a day: lunch and dinner. Also, expect a morning and afternoon training session.

And last but not least, have fun you lucky bastard. You get to study Muay Thai in Thailand!

I'm going to phuket muay thai. Thanks for the advice guys. Also, Iceman do you train at boneyard? I've always wanted to check it out, but its too far.

bumma said:
I'm going to phuket muay thai. Thanks for the advice guys. Also, Iceman do you train at boneyard? I've always wanted to check it out, but its too far.

Yeah, I train at the Boneyard. I'm in the first stage of a 3 month hiatus for wrestling season though. But I'll be there during XMas vacation hopefully because we'll have practice in the morning.

Do you train at Sityodtong or Boston Muay Thai?

i've been to sitiyodtong but its way too far. for the most part i just train at our bjj/muay thai club at school. i've been meaning to start wrestling with boston union wrestling club though and make it to sitiyodong more often after i get back from thailand. good luck with your wrestling season. i miss it sometimes but i'm done with high school. cutting weight blows haha.

RunWithScissors said:
I was there back in '99, how is Andy doing? I heard he's recovering well...

Cheers

K

recovering from what?

i guess he is ok, he just drove from chiangmai-bangkok-burma-chiangmai-myfight so he seemed tired today i just wanted to sleep,

I like it here it seems more relaxed then some other camps noone is pushing you, if you wanna get good its up to you,

Back