Tip for breaking arm bar grip

Reaction score
So I will be in a tournament tomorrow and have a basic understanding oh how to break an opponents grip when you're going for an arm bar when the opponent is on his back. They usually will make some sort of hand shake grip or clasp their hands together, and immediately I would turn to a bicep crusher. However, this tournament does not allow bicep crushers, so I am trying to recall a back up move from that position (setup for a triangle when the opponent tries rolling out) or breaking the grip.

This is a no gi tournament.

Thanks in advance

don't just pull straight back, pull back and towards their head.

i dunno if this is what u meant by bicep-slicer, but i stick my foot in the crook of their elbow and push to break the grip sometimes.

u doing grappler's quest tomorrow? what division/weight?

I like to first off make sure that the arm on (through) his elbow is the one near his head. Then I lock my hands to make it tight, and drop my body towards his head. Literally, if the way I'm facing while sitting is 12:00, I drop to 9:00 or 3:00 depending on what side I'm on where his head is. That breaks the grip, and then I straighten out and finish. Drill it a few times, and have your partner give some resistance. It works very well, as long as you aren't trying to pull back.

Another option is to try to kick his hand off with your leg that is nearer to his legs. If it slips through and he turns into you, you have the triangle. I think BJ Penn did it in his second fight against Jens Pulver.

Just make sure when you do these things, you keep everything tight. Keep the knees pinched, keep yourself balanced, and take your time.

I like to first off make sure that the arm on (through) his elbow is the one near his head. Then I lock my hands to make it tight, and drop my body towards his head. Literally, if the way I'm facing while sitting is 12:00, I drop to 9:00 or 3:00 depending on what side I'm on where his head is. That breaks the grip, and then I straighten out and finish. Drill it a few times, and have your partner give some resistance. It works very well, as long as you aren't trying to pull back.

Just make sure when you do these things, you keep everything tight. Keep the knees pinched, keep yourself balanced, and take your time.

I use this break with a slight dference on the hand positoins. I will learn forward and get my forearm up to his wrist if possible and then try to get my hooking arm hand on my own chest. Then I'll use my other arm lock my hooking arm to my body. Think of a RNC grip only on an arm. This way when I lean back its my entire back exerting force not just my arms. All the other things still apply, knees pinched, balence, patience. Don't force it if you start to lose it regain the positon and start again rather than just trying to yank loose.

Can you explain to me why they didnt allow bicep slicer???

I can understand about neck crank or heel hook, but bicep slicer???

Bicep and Knee slicers come on real quick. There is a risk of serious injury if you crank to fast. The lock is similar to heel hooks becasue the pai n is not there intially and when you do start feel the pain there is a small window to avoid injury.

I thought it was because if cranked it can detach the muscle.

I dunno about you guys but I think bicep and calf slicers always hurt.

I never waste too munch time trying to brake the grip, i go for the bicep slicer. I think that a standard arm bar is more dangerous than a bicep slicer. The bicep slicer just put pressure on the muscle, i dont see a very dangerous thing there. Painfull, yes but dangerous...

most people just put up with the pain... problem is you can cause yourself serious injury... maybe too many people were tuffing it out and getting injured

Anybody got a video on how to go from an armbar that you can't get to a bicep slicer? It seems like you're way out of position to do that.

I never waste too munch time trying to brake the grip, i go for the bicep slicer. I think that a standard arm bar is more dangerous than a bicep slicer. The bicep slicer just put pressure on the muscle, i dont see a very dangerous thing there. Painfull, yes but dangerous...

Wrong. Bicep Slicers can actually fractue bones. My broken arm was started off by a hairline fracture I got from a bicep slicer.

the common misconception that they're just pain is why they're so dangerous, and also why they're not a great submission. Most people will hold out and wait until the end of the match because they can "take the pain", then the next day they find out that they were seriously injured even if they did win the match. I think it's good they're illegal for that reason. At least a heel hook gets the tap.

this is illegal at Grappler's Quest.

I have a big tournament june 26th so i asked a couple of questions about rules and yes, they are not legal in that tournament too... Will have to practice a 'more fency' way to break grip for the arm bar :icon_chee

Wrong. Bicep Slicers can actually fractue bones. My broken arm was started off by a hairline fracture I got from a bicep slicer.

the common misconception that they're just pain is why they're so dangerous, and also why they're not a great submission. Most people will hold out and wait until the end of the match because they can "take the pain", then the next day they find out that they were seriously injured even if they did win the match. I think it's good they're illegal for that reason. At least a heel hook gets the tap.

Bicep slicers are scary.

If it is done to the elbow it can blow it out. But if it is done on the radius.....:icon_cry2.

Man, imagine opening one of those pillsbury muffin canisters. #shlluuuuuuurp...POP#

#shudders#

My bjj coach actually got me in this 2 years ago and my arm still tingles because I was two stupid to tap. I can imagine Bas Rutten saying "no one should tap to this because it is only a pain hold":icon_conf

Bicep slicers are scary.

If it is done to the elbow it can blow it out. But if it is done on the radius.....:icon_cry2.

Man, imagine opening one of those pillsbury muffin canisters. #shlluuuuuuurp...POP#

#shudders#

My bjj coach actually got me in this 2 years ago and my arm still tingles because I was two stupid to tap. I can imagine Bas Rutten saying "no one should tap to this because it is only a pain hold":icon_conf

lol, yeah. I have a broken radius that was likely originally inflicted by a slicer, and I'm just starting to get back on my feet now- 4 months later.

Back