Tinguinha Interview re: Gracie Barra OC

Sherdog_Mutt

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My instructor Tinguinha recently gave an interview regarding many subjects. Of particular interest is his take on the whole Gracie Barra Orange County matter. Here's the interview:

Shoyoroll takes time out to catch up with the Spider Guard King Mauricio

Wow great fucking post bro. I wish I was there when he visited Renzo's.

Very interesting. Sherdog_mutt, do you play a lot of spider yourself?

Zankou said:
Very interesting. Sherdog_mutt, do you play a lot of spider yourself?

I used to play a lot of Spider guard about a year and a half ago before becoming infatuated with the half-guard. The funny thing is that almost everyone at our academy (including white belts) has a solid understanding of spider guard basics.

I actually spend a lot of time trying to pass the spider guard because of this. I feel that I'm currently better at passing the spider guard than actually playing spider guard.

I'm trying to learn it, which is a bit tricky because nobody where I train (John Machado's) plays it at all. I've never had anyone pull spider on me. Instead I've gotten Tinguinha's instructional, but it's not that easy to learn from it. I've got excellent control and can sit for a while in it, but my subs and sweeps suck (except the triangle).

I need to learn standing sweeps from spider, since everybody invariably stands and backs their legs away when I pull it. Any suggestions on good ones? I have no luck with the tripod type maneuvers, because the legs are usually too far.

infamous mattyd said:
Where the hell was I when I went to Renzo's? Sheet...
You were at Renzo's. Is this supposed to be a riddle or something??

Yo after seeing his pics, I do remember seeing him at the academy. Wow, I figured he was Rafael's surf buddy or something. LOL damn I suck.

Soid said:
Yo after seeing his pics, I do remember seeing him at the academy. Wow, I figured he was Rafael's surf buddy or something. LOL damn I suck.
selfpwnge as usual

Zankou said:
I'm trying to learn it, which is a bit tricky because nobody where I train (John Machado's) plays it at all. I've never had anyone pull spider on me. Instead I've gotten Tinguinha's instructional, but it's not that easy to learn from it. I've got excellent control and can sit for a while in it, but my subs and sweeps suck (except the triangle).

I need to learn standing sweeps from spider, since everybody invariably stands and backs their legs away when I pull it. Any suggestions on good ones? I have no luck with the tripod type maneuvers, because the legs are usually too far.

The key to almost all subs and sweeps from spider guard is the momentum you generate constantly moving from side to side. This movement also keeps the opponent off-balance, breaking his posture. Timing is key in the spider guard. You've got to try for the sub/sweep at the right moment to take advantage of your momentum. Against a savvy opponent, one of my favorite "tricks" to help set up a sweep/sub from spider guard is to: 1) move back and forth a couple of times; 2) pretend that I'm moving to the other side (i.e. if my left leg is extended and my right leg bent, I pretend I'm moving so that right leg is extended and left leg bent); 3) stop moving half-way (brief moment of danger in that both legs are bent); 4) quickly move straight back to original position (in my example extended left leg and bent right leg). At this moment, I usually kick my right leg free and attempt a sub or sweep. The quick change in momentum usually catches guys off balance.

When the guy is standing in your spider and backing their legs away, they are inevitably leaning forward at the waist. This is the perfect opportunity to shoot for a triangle, omoplata or arm bar. Once again, timing is everything. Personally, I love to fake the triangle attempt and quickly transitioning to the omoplata. If all else fails, and my sub attempts fail. You should be in perfect position to transition to the cross guard or even x-guard (depending on the opponent's position.

Soid said:

he is.

Sherdog_Mutt, much praise for your advice. I typically have ended up shooting the triangle when the opponent's legs are away, and often try to transition to the omoplata. I will think about different ways to do this now.

I'd like to master Tinguinha's weird way of locking the opponent's arm behind his head for the sub -- I haven't been able to do that yet.

Zankou said:
I'd like to master Tinguinha's weird way of locking the opponent's arm behind his head for the sub -- I haven't been able to do that yet.

The key to this, as with almost all setups in the spider guard, is momentum. As you switch to one side, kicking your bent leg free, you yank the arm at the same time. If done well, you can lock the opponent's arm behind your head. It's a great feeling when you get the arm locked in as the guy is usually panicking and yanking (to no avail). All you have to do is to shoot for a triangle or arm bar. What's also cool about locking down the guy's arm like this is that the triangle comes on FAST. As soon as you slap it on, he's on the verge of tapping.

The key to this, as with almost all setups in the spider guard, is momentum. As you switch to one side, kicking your bent leg free, you yank the arm at the same time. If done well, you can lock the opponent's arm behind your head. It's a great feeling when you get the arm locked in as the guy is usually panicking and yanking (to no avail). All you have to do is to shoot for a triangle or arm bar. What's also cool about locking down the guy's arm like this is that the triangle comes on FAST. As soon as you slap it on, he's on the verge of tapping.

Any vids of this arm trapping behind the head?

How appropriate that you have a mortis av...lol

Seriously though I would love to see this arm behind the head deal. I am working on my spider guard (got my free dvd from prof tinguinha).

Back