Timing of (late) meals

Revolution

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen this addressed yet (yes, I looked). Anyway, what do you all recommend for a late meal? That is, when I train MMA, the classes don't usually conclude until about 9:00 or even 10:00. By the time I get home, it's about 10:30, and I need to shower, start dinner, etc., and hopefully get to bed by 11:00 or 11:30.
On the one hand, I feel like I should eat a substantial meal, since I just depleted myself in training. On the other hand, I feel like I should just eat some lean protein and a small serving of vegetables, and keep the overall calorie count down. What are your thoughts?

Ill be interested in hearing the replies on this as well. Training usually runs pretty late, so its the last meal before bed, but I DO want to get some decent calories, maybe even carbs, since its right after a 2-3 hour long training session.

Tough call, since that is fairly late. One convenient option would be consume a shake approx 15 minutes PWO consisting of whey/carbs, and then when you get home, make a much larger shake consisting of casein and fat. Of course, add in your PWO supplements like BA, creatine, BCAAs, etc.

I can see some guys freaking out about that suggestion now, but the way I look at it, you want that first shake absorbed fast, and the second to last throughout the night.

I normally have a meal with some carbs and protein, then just before bed I'll have my cottage cheese.

I dont really have a problem eating higher carbs as I'm not trying to lose weight

Well it sort of along a aspect I speak on. A lot of people worry about late night meals etc. Other than a overload of carbs at night, I find the true key to be the in and out every day amountof cals consumed more so than the time of night.

That being said I am not saying eat whatever you want atnight. However in my opinion PWO should always be the same whether you train at night or in the morning. Glut4 receptors and the physiological response from exercise itself will ensure the foods(in the correct amounts) will be used properly.

Well it sort of along a aspect I speak on. A lot of people worry about late night meals etc. Other than a overload of carbs at night, I find the true key to be the in and out every day amountof cals consumed more so than the time of night.

That being said I am not saying eat whatever you want atnight. However in my opinion PWO should always be the same whether you train at night or in the morning. Glut4 receptors and the physiological response from exercise itself will ensure the foods(in the correct amounts) will be used properly.

Hey Vedic,

Question for you. After training, I want to eat a DINNER, not just a shake. I'm hungry as hell after 3 hours of training and what I would normally do is make something like meat, salad and maybe even a potato or rice. As it is now, I have been eating a lean piece of meat, spinach and maybe some dried or fresh fruit as a desert. Should I have this PWO shake in addition right after training, or is the meal I mentioned above sufficient since its within 45-60 minutes of finishing training? Is it too much?

By the way, noted that calories over the day is more important than the time when you take them, but I do worry about it since its right before I'm not going to do anything but sleep for 7-8 hours.

Hey Vedic,

Question for you. After training, I want to eat a DINNER, not just a shake. I'm hungry as hell after 3 hours of training and what I would normally do is make something like meat, salad and maybe even a potato or rice. As it is now, I have been eating a lean piece of meat, spinach and maybe some dried or fresh fruit as a desert. Should I have this PWO shake in addition right after training, or is the meal I mentioned above sufficient since its within 45-60 minutes of finishing training? Is it too much?

By the way, noted that calories over the day is more important than the time when you take them, but I do worry about it since its right before I'm not going to do anything but sleep for 7-8 hours.

Well everything is a variable and I think the first three weeks of anything tells the story. I put everyone on twelve week programs, sometimes it only takes one adjustment, sometimes two, sometimes none. That being said, having a true meal a hour after is fine. However to skip the PWO shake in my opinion is NOT something you should do.

For the meal itself if you keep the carbs to nothing I see nothing wrong with both a shake and meal. You carb intake the rest of the day and PWO should suffice to where it is strictly a mod fat, high protein meal, with fiberous veggies. For PWO I would start with a 30/30 shake PWO, give it three weeks, assume fat gain or fat loss, or nill. If you seem a little softer etc, go down to 20/20 and keep the meal. If it isn't a enough try 40/40, so on and so forth.

Hope that helps

Tough call, since that is fairly late. One convenient option would be consume a shake approx 15 minutes PWO consisting of whey/carbs, and then when you get home, make a much larger shake consisting of casein and fat. Of course, add in your PWO supplements like BA, creatine, BCAAs, etc.

I can see some guys freaking out about that suggestion now, but the way I look at it, you want that first shake absorbed fast, and the second to last throughout the night.

Nothing wrong with that suggestion. Makes sense to me

Well everything is a variable and I think the first three weeks of anything tells the story. I put everyone on twelve week programs, sometimes it only takes one adjustment, sometimes two, sometimes none. That being said, having a true meal a hour after is fine. However to skip the PWO shake in my opinion is NOT something you should do.

For the meal itself if you keep the carbs to nothing I see nothing wrong with both a shake and meal. You carb intake the rest of the day and PWO should suffice to where it is strictly a mod fat, high protein meal, with fiberous veggies. For PWO I would start with a 30/30 shake PWO, give it three weeks, assume fat gain or fat loss, or nill. If you seem a little softer etc, go down to 20/20 and keep the meal. If it isn't a enough try 40/40, so on and so forth.

Hope that helps

That does help, thank you! By 30/30, that means 30gms carbs/30 gms protien?

Of course. it's all about tinkering and finding what works etc. Some people just tinker to quickly and I find the three week mark to tell the story 99% of the time. Usually in two weeks you can tell. But I give it three weeks time as to me the first week is a adjustment perios and the body doesn't know how to react to it yet on a regular basis.

Granted I rely heavily on texts in my arguments, but this one I haven't found much on, as for the three week incriments. But over the last ten years or so it has worked for my clients pretty well.

^^^

1st Hand Experience > than 3rd hand accounts, IMO.

I agree,but at the same time I learned a a lot in the classroom. Don't get me wrong I find both to extremely important. But each person is individual and knows what works for them. basics however should stay the same. Shame is, new nutritional finds come out every year. Much more so than strength studies etc.

Back