Throwdown Ultimate Training gloves review

rmphilmacrac

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
A little background these were my, "high-tier," gloves before i started spending good money on great gloves. These along side some Title classic revolution and $30 Everlasts were the gloves i used when i first started training.

Quality/Build

Its been years i dont remember the exact price but i got them on sale and for that sale price the quality is pretty good. For an MMA brand they really held back on their branding which i really appreciate that. Throwdown didnt feel the need to advertise their brand per punch so the only two logos are on the back of the hand and wrist. Two simple T's and it looks fine and clean unlike other brands that go around the knuckles, thumb, palm, side, and on the liner. Theres some loose stitching but nothing drastic and nothing that would cause a major problem. Now like i said these gloves have been with me for years so i dont remember the exact specs or anything but its definitely some synthetic leather. Mine isnt tearing or anything, its held up well against the bag, mitts, and even some sparring.

One of the cool yet annoying features that this glove has is the closure system. Its a two system closure, first there a thin strap of Velcro, i havent measured it exactly but its around an inch or so. Then on top of the velcro is an elastic wrap thats held onto the glove by a short amount of stitching on top and then a strap of synthetic leather on the palm side. Its a cool at least back then because i never had a glove like that before but putting on by yourself was the most annoying thing ever. The way id do it is the first glove was easy but the second was terrible. Id have to either keep the velcro loose and punch my hand through or id have to pull back the elastic and keep the velcro off then try put them back with a gloved hand. Grabbing the thin elastic with a gloved hand was annoying. Sometimes id just leave the elastic pulled back and just velcro the glove closed. Another annoying thing about the elastic is that it kept the cuff very very closed up which leads me to my next issue.

First of all the liner is soft and comfortable. The glove has one of those annoying interior tags but unlike the C17 rough one this one isnt too bad. The liner does a fine job and like i said its comfortable but the glove has absolutely no way to vent unless you peel back the elastic, pull off the Velcro strap, and use something to keep the cuff open, i forgot the name of that thing im sure one of you know what its called. No vent holes and an elastic keeping the cuff closed just makes for one smelly glove. If i didnt use glove dogs and odor aid i probably would have thrown away these gloves by now.

Feel/Performance/Wrist

These gloves feel great. Like i said the liner was nice and soft, the gloves overall are pretty comfortable. The padding out the box is sort of firm but after some time on the bag these gloves soften but pretty well and they can be used for sparring. I never really used mine for sparring but i could if i wanted to. The thumb seam doesnt pinch like the Ringside gloves i reviewed but you can definitely feel it pressing a little. Not a big deal but after a couple rounds your hands sort of start to cramp up. The hand compartment isnt small in my opinion, for me its right in between but i have small hands so i guess this would be an, "average," size.

The closure system provides good wrist support if you lean your hand towards your palm. If you move your hand backwards though theres almost no support. This is also demonstrated by just holding the glove up by the cuff. Palm facing down the glove stays straight but when you flip it over it bends back and makes a wide upside down V shape. They're a little top heavy but nothing extreme, the main problem is that theres more focus on palm padding than back padding. I never hurt my wrists using these gloves though i just figured its something to point out.

Weight

I bought these in 16oz, the left weighed in at 15.6oz and the right weighed 17.5oz. I thought my scale was broken when i saw this so i tried different positions and different gloves but no they kept coming up as the same weight. When you use them you dont feel the difference but thats obviously some pretty bad quality control when the difference is so drastic.

Overall

If i remember correctly i got these off of Title for around $40 and for that price these gloves turned out great. Good overall glove. Just a couple flaws but nothing to really hurt the glove. For $40 i cant really ask for more besides maybe changing the closure system and some vent holes. These gloves work for everything but if you use them for sparring you need to break them in a little. I can fully open my hand in my gloves and there isnt a lot of resistance either so mine are pretty good for sparring. Id rather use some C17s or Winning but i mean if i didnt have those options id go with these after i break them in a little.

+Quality for price
+Cheap
+Protection
+Logos
+Liner
+/-Synthetic Leather
-Closure System
-Heat
-No Vent holes

gnQLtKQ.jpg

wQGZIIZ.jpg

G5L41lD.jpg

pEvdvkg.jpg

R8eIGnl.jpg

BztIIfI.jpg

Thanks for the review. I always like reading about brands I haven't used.

Nice review my brother! They seem like a good pair to start out with. Thanks for the review man.

These are the reviews I like!!!! Another excellent offering!!! I was thinking of trying some Throwdowns myself....I still may. Thanks again bud. A+

Thank you both for reading.

And yes they're excellent beginner or budget gloves. Best way to describe them, great for the low price, great to start with.

Great review rm ! Nice to have something different.

Couldn't agree more. In a world filled with Winning, TB, Reyes, R2C and UMA.....its nice to have someone to review different swag!!!!! RM is becoming the go to review guy!!! Keep it up RM...we will keep reading. :D

I might be putting up a review of gorilla gear silverback headgear, rival traditional sparring gloves, and rival fittness headgear. I think thats what they're all called.

I might be putting up a review of gorilla gear silverback headgear, rival traditional sparring gloves, and rival fittness headgear. I think thats what they're all called.

Keep them coming brotha!!! On another note, I looked at Title MMA and took an interest in the Throwdown Predator gloves. Only 55 bucks!!!

Good review! I think the wrist closure would drive me nuts, but otherwise those sound way better than expected.

Back