Media Throwback: McGregor dismantling Max Holloway

That fight would go much differently today, similar to Conor v Poirier 2 and 3. Max was only 22 back then and having close fights with fighters like Leonard Garcia. He didn't morph into his final form until a few years later.
I have this av because I lost an av bet on the first Conor/Poirier fight. I always thought Poirier was the better fighter and feel vindicated now that Poirier has him 2-1. I just kept the av because it's hilarious how many people don't know the story and try to throw it in my face like I'm a Conor nut hugger when they're losing an argument. I guess I'm just petty like that. Turn a L into a W. 😂

prime conor at featherweight was so fluid . look at that foot movement and defence.

i am a connor nutter but he is not the same anymore. i hope he can get back some of the magic, but you cant move around like that at 170 with one pirate leg.

He declined after he got rid of his touch butt dork in the park movement coach because nate made fun of him ‘your playing touch butt with that dork in the park’

I've never understood why Conor is never in the discussion for FW goat.
Dominated Holloway, destroyed pea head Doostin, literally one 1 punched Aldo and also finished Mendes who at the time was very good.
Because context matters.

Holloway was a kid when they fought.
Dustin is a good win but he wasn't at his best at 145, and he mauling Conor twice after that kind of hurts his case.
Mendes was great and a consistent #2 during the Aldo years, but he rolled straight out of the couch to fight Conor.

Then he sniped Aldo which was probably the most amazing title win ever. But it's not enough to be in GOAT conversation when you leave the division without ever defending.

Conor's FW isn't even in the same ballpark as what Aldo, Volk and Max have done in the division.

I've never understood why Conor is never in the discussion for FW goat.
Dominated Holloway, destroyed pea head Doostin, literally one 1 punched Aldo and also finished Mendes who at the time was very good.
One diabolical performance is not enough to be considered a divisional goat...Otherwise, Garbrandt would be in GOAT BW discussions and he's not. Cody is one of my favorite fighters and his performance against Dom Cruz was one of my favorites but that frankly isn't enough to say he's better than the likes of Dom (himself),Omalley, Yan, Aljo, etc.

I was a fan of young hungry Conor.. His striking was beautiful to watch.. It sucks that his only goal in MMA is fame and money and not about legacy because his striking IQ and natural striking talent is something that can't be taught.

He wasted his prime away and to me is still the biggest waste of talent in MMA even tho he achieved a lot in a short amount of time.

Because context matters.

Dustin is a good win but he wasn't at his best at 145, and he mauling Conor twice after that kind of hurts his case.
Mendes was great and a consistent #2 during the Aldo years, but he rolled straight out of the couch to fight Conor.

Then he sniped Aldo which was probably the most amazing title win ever. But it's not enough to be in GOAT conversation when you leave the division without ever defending.

Conor's FW isn't even in the same ballpark as what Aldo, Volk and Max have done in the division.
he had the potential to be but yeah, he just honestly didn't do enough to make a reasonable case for it.

I was a fan of young hungry Conor.. His striking was beautiful to watch.. It sucks that his only goal in MMA is about fame and money and not about legacy because his striking IQ and natural striking talent is something that can't be taught.

He wasted his prime away and to me is still the biggest waste of talent in MMA even tho he achieved a lot in a short amount of time.
biggest waste of talent? naaaaah, he would never beat khabib or islam and he would of been another name on volk's kill count.

not disagreeing that he didn't utilize all his talent but there are lot more wasted talents in the sport than him...BJ Penn and Jon Jones are the ones that scream at me the most.

Conor that trained movement with Ido was a special fighter. Props to Max to last the entire fight without going down.

Conor in his glory was an absolute beast. Hate to see what he became but you can't discredit that come up.

Interesting to see Conor grappling that much, must of spent a lot more time with Gunner back then.

Conor load garglers revising history because they still cant deal with the fact that once he moved to his proper weight class and fought proper lw's, he paled into insignificance.

Ok? So?

Does it still take away from the fact that was a very raw and undeveloped fighter?
Were you also nitpicking DJ back in the day for losing to Brad Pickett in his WEC days?

Grow a fucking brain dude.

Did DJ lose to a ALC torn Brad Pickett?

Because context matters.

He still has zero losses at FW in the UFC and is 2-0 over GOATs in the division.

He is easily in the same ballpark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back