Throat injuries after a gi-choke.

SpartanWarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
2 weeks ago we were rolling hard. I got caught in a gi choke. Now the left side of my throat has been hurting ever since then. I havent trained in 2 weeks cuz im waiting for the pain to completely go away but it hasnt yet. When I eat or drink, it hurts when I swallow. Has anyone ever had this experience before? Is this normal, or should I go see a Doctor? Thanks.

never experienced this before but two weeks is a longgggg time, you should serously get it checked right away.
-Jon

ya know...it accualy may not be from the choke...because i have been choked so hard it felt like my windpipe was gana colapse and it only hurt for like a week, u should definately get it checked out

We worked alot on chokes and then i sparred for about an hour.. it still hurts when i swallow because i havent given it enough time to relax and heal up.

Kind of feels like your getting sick or something? if its the same as mine.

Ive had it happen before, just have to let it heal man and youll be good. If you still feel uneasy about it go see the doc. I would just take a couple days off training though.

I got in a street fight and when I was on top of the guy he grabbed my throat. I had a pain in my throat for over two weeks but it finally went away. This was from a clinched choke (nothing like a gi choke). Is the pain exactly as bad as it was when you first got it? Or has it mild down alittle? Mine slowly but surely went away with time. Also does it feel like there is a knot in or around your throat?

SpartanWarrior said:
2 weeks ago we were rolling hard. I got caught in a gi choke. Now the left side of my throat has been hurting ever since then. I havent trained in 2 weeks cuz im waiting for the pain to completely go away but it hasnt yet. When I eat or drink, it hurts when I swallow. Has anyone ever had this experience before? Is this normal, or should I go see a Doctor? Thanks.

This seems to be normal. I have had throat pains and big bruises from chokes that were applied. Alot of the time, the pain could be there from one day to three weeks. If it's really serious then I suggest you see a doctor about this.

i got gi choked hard last week and it hurt to push one side of my adams apple and swallowing felt weird, but it's better now. i guess there's some internal swelling/bruising after a getting gi choked.

usually it last a day or two...swallowing is hard, just figured I strained a muscle or something, but like I stated, within 2 days it's gone.

2 weeks...I'd go to the doctor buddy.

you probably bruised some mucles in your neck. i def. got a little pain on one side of my neck from practicing gi choke's last night. i actually have a bruise right on my chin.

Yeah I've had that before, it feels like a strained muscle right? It's a pain in the ass, but it shouldn't keep you from training. Just don't let your sparring partners use chokes on you until the pain starts to go away.

Ouch!

Damn bro, two weeks?

If you got medical coverage go check it out. I'm older so I'm a regular at the hospital. Broken toe, busted shoulder, all from jj and muay thai. What can you do when I love to spar?

Go have it checked.

I think that's normal, personally, but if you live in Canada (where seeing a doctor is free), I recommend you do so. I've had a terribly sore throat before from gi-chokes, but I don't think they've ever lasted 2 weeks. Check it out, to be safe.

I've had exactly that - a real hard, fast choak making it very painfull to swallow for
over a week -- drinking ice water seemed to help-- I trained through it.
just make sure you don't get dehydrated.

Had a similar experience, and it lasted over a week. Just go easy on it, and it will go away. Kinda felt like I was getting sick, lump in my throat, sore as hell, even hurt to eat.

I ezekial'd a guy twice in a row with a fist in the throat last week. kekekekekeke~ Fucker doesn't want to give up the choke, he gets the fist in the throat!

Spartan same thing happened to me. I thought it was from the gi chokes. The only thing was when swallowed I also felt pressure on my ear. After about 2 weeks finally went to the doc and it was a really bad ear infection. Might want to have it checked out.

SpartanWarrior said:

DUDE!!! this is scary how similar your post is to what happened to me two weeks ago too!!! do a search on all threads started by me lately and you will see one titled something about dealing with bigger, stronger, better guys....basically i got the shit choked outta me, and the next day it hurt to swallow, cough, clear my throat, talk loud. My voice was actually a little raspy too.....two weeks have gone by and it didnt get any better, but it did move kinda to my left side as opposed to the entire throat. I also havent gone back to class for fear of makeing it worse.....I went to see the doc, 3 days ago and she said i strained a muscle in my neck and to take another week off of class, and take 2 aleve twice a day, and ice it.....it hasnt gone away completely but its helped and i think ill be going back to class on Monday.

hope this helps.

Your "friend" gave you a fixated/blocked cervical vertebrae (a "subluxation" in Chiropractic terminology).
The only person who can fix this is a chiropractor good at upper cervical (neck) work. It may take a few times, but do it now before it goes deeper and becomes a serious problem - the sooner the better!
And yes it can affect your swallowing muscles, my patients often have that feeling you described which quickly goes away after treatment.

Yep. Got caught in one Saturday and it was very sore until Monday night. It usually lasts a few days and then back to normal.

we were doing chokes last night at training and I was choked atleast 10 times (just in free rolling), my throat is a bit sore, feeling a bit rough atm and it hurts to swallow and makes eating a bit hard, I was going to add to this thread saying I've never had a problem with my throat after being choked lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back