Thoughts on training at more than one facility

BJJ is also less about gyms being rival gangs that beat each other up in street brawls and there aren't many 'hidden techniques' to be concerned about because everything is on youtube.

Problem is some people suck at teaching. You need a solid instructor it is all the difference amongst the masses

Youtube is great for people that already have a decent grasp of fundamental grappling. Some 3 month white belt trying to supplement video technique instead of proper direction from an instructor is not the way to go.

Problem is some people suck at teaching. You need a solid instructor it is all the difference amongst the masses

Youtube is great for people that already have a decent grasp of fundamental grappling. Some 3 month white belt trying to supplement video technique instead of proper direction from an instructor is not the way to go.

Yes, my point about youtube was more that because all techniques are on youtube there is less of a need/desire to prevent cross-training in order to keep certain techniques in-house at one particular gym (or prevent spying by visitors). Youtube definitely is not a substitute for training with an instructor.

We seemingly always have people from other judo clubs visiting, and I haven't asked yet, but I'm sure my sensei wouldn't give a shit if I went to another club just to get work against other guys.

I don't know how my current BJJ instructor would take me visiting another BJJ club, however. He seems like he's cool, but my old instructor didn't like us working with any school that wasn't an affiliate of his, so I'm kinda just thinking of not training anywhere else unless he brings it up.

You should see the Drama going on here in Ireland between clubs.

The main Irish Judo association didn't put the National Champion up for the Olympic team, I think some nepotism was involved, and now Munster (1 of 4 provinces in ireland) are trying to form a seperate association.

So basically this time last year i could train anywhere i so wished, but now my clubs instructors would be mortally wounded if i trained with anyone not sympathetic to the champion's cause.

Now that being said, I'm on the side of my trainers and our champ through and through, but Irish judo as a whole is suffering big time from this divide.

A sorry state of affairs.

Blind loyalty to your school is TMA BS, the Gracies may have used common sport training practices but they certainly had TMA marketing practices.

In tma, I did not notice blind loyalty to your school. Maybe because the instructor had a day time job and he did not have to rely on gym revenue to feed his family.

Back