Thoughts on the Olympic Judo so far?

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
After a lot of wins by penalty it was nice to see the Gold's won with throws. Fabio Basile certainly caught me off guard with his win, he'd been really cool and collected in the semi-final but I thought he would get outworked by An Baul.

It's been fun so far, I'm now back onto boxing :p

It's been great so far.

See the judo sticky thread above.

Basile was sensational. I remember seeing him stand next to An Baul before the fight and thinking Jesus this guy looks like he has not even the slightest doubt that he will wreck his opponent, no. 1 ranked in the world.

And then he did. Threw the no 1 AND no 2 guys for ippon. Has to be one of the GOAT Olympic judo performances.

Just a question for Judoka: I'm watching the BBC broadcast and the announcer said that the Japanese players had apparently a 90% success rate (or something like that) when attempting what is essentially a half-guard pass. Is this something they are actively going for? I noticed Misato Nakamura going for the pass + arm lock several times.

Just a question for Judoka: I'm watching the BBC broadcast and the announcer said that the Japanese players had apparently a 90% success rate (or something like that) when attempting what is essentially a half-guard pass. Is this something they are actively going for? I noticed Misato Nakamura going for the pass + arm lock several times.
Kosen Judo?

If you pass the half guard you can pin your opponent. There are three ways to win on the ground in judo; armlocks, chokes and pins.

I'm driving the Basile Bandwagon. SO DREAMY TOO!!

I love the bullshit tactic of dragging people towards you on the ground to entice the leg grab. I think they're at least knocking that down to a shido, when they should fucking eliminate it and all stoppages entirely.

I'd also like to see the following revisions:

- real-time shidos
- crossfacing
- shidos for passivity in groundwork (holding guard/haflguard without attacking or advancing, going belly-down)
- no matte on scrambles
- yuko as soon as pins are called, with 5 second wazari and 10 second ippon
- score all body impacts as result of a throw as yuko. this will award people who are doing the most throwing the most points, and will deal with the fact that most matches at this level are ukemi contests as much as the are nagewaza contests. kinda like bringing back koka, but keeping things from being a roundoff contest.

really we'd just make people go to ippon, but that'd be too fantastic. still, i stand by those suggestions and especially that last one.

Thread needs some chiseled no-homo Basile imagery.

Judo-Fabio-Basile-EJU-800x534-800x534.jpg

This Fabio Basile looks a little like Gianni Grippo.

And yahoo has this Fabio guy at 5'3". How tall is Gianni?

Last edited:
I'd like to see matches go for first to three ippons. Ippons only scored by ippon worthy throw, 30 second osaekomi or sub. Once an ippon has been scored, fight resets to standing. No partial points, all techniques reinstated.

I'd like to see matches go for first to three ippons. Ippons only scored by ippon worthy throw, 30 second osaekomi or sub. Once an ippon has been scored, fight resets to standing. No partial points, all techniques reinstated.

Just take away "soft ippons" from throws and keep a requirement that tori should either remain standing or land in control on top(no rollovers!) No ippons from attack from knees or sacrifice throws either. Reintroduce the "koka" for minor throws or throws to the stomach, give koka for attacking and progressing against a turtled opponent in newaza. Pins should give waza-ari at the end and then be restarted in the crossover armbar (juji gatame) position where defender hold on to his arms etc. Also introduce a "sumo rule" - give a koka for pushing opponent out of the mat unless the guy pushed out doesn't respond by attack at the edge when moving out.

Yeah and all point scores should be added, koka = 1 point, yuko = 2, waza-ari = 3 points...

Last edited:
matches should play to ippon and the referee should only stop the match in cases of unfair advantage or illegal technique. with the exception of Ono and some armbars today was really shitty to watch.

Subs not ending a match seems ultra stupid.

Subs not ending a match seems ultra stupid.
It creates a strong incentive to crank as hard as you can on them. In old Pancrase matches there were a lot of bad submission injuries because the match was still on if your opponent had time to grab the ropes.

Just take away "soft ippons" from throws and keep a requirement that tori should either remain standing or land in control on top(no rollovers!) No ippons from attack from knees or sacrifice throws either. Reintroduce the "koka" for minor throws or throws to the stomach, give koka for attacking and progressing against a turtled opponent in newaza. Pins should give waza-ari at the end and then be restarted in the crossover armbar (juji gatame) position where defender hold on to his arms etc. Also introduce a "sumo rule" - give a koka for pushing opponent out of the mat unless the guy pushed out doesn't respond by attack at the edge when moving out.

Yeah and all point scores should be added, koka = 1 point, yuko = 2, waza-ari = 3 points...
A bit sambo-esque
:D

A bit sambo-esque
:D

Yeah, make shidos accumulative scores as well, to avoid cynical judo where you can ride to the end of the match holding on to a small score, like we have seen several times in this olympic's. Also; reintroduce leg grabs but hand out shido's if they are used to stall or make false attacks.

First time I've watched live Olympic Judo and I'm loving it.

Highlight so far for me was I saw a beautiful Tai Otoshi and a Japanese competitor had a great Tomoe Nage.

leg grabs and scrambles. we need leg grabs and scrambles so badly. we need absolutely no disincentive to jump onto a turtled player and that horseshit needs to stop discontinuing groundwork.

Back