thoughts on pros competing in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Dirge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
As a former boxer, I tend to keep a close eye on the olympics given how many superstars of boxing have cut their teeth there.

I admit I was a bit shocked at the inclusion of professional fighters in the upcoming olympics.

I've seen arguments on both sides of the fence for and against it but ultimately I think its logical given the inclusion of other pros in the event. Basketball has the absolute best of the NBA, hockey the best of the NHL. Even soccer allows pros to compete (although there is an age limit there).

Boxing is pretty much one of the only sports historically that has been for "amateurs" only. Then again, most other olympic sports do not typically have professional sports leagues and world cup events (skiing for example) do not disqualify skiers from returning to the olympics if they qualify (And in fact world events lead to qualification).

So what are your thoughts? The detractors of it feel there could be some horrible mismatches, putting a seasoned pro boxer up against a relative newcomer (Who could be as young as 19). The age limit was raised in part due to pro's being included (and the removal of headgear).

I predict boxing in Tokyo will be very interesting this year depending on which pros are willing to fight for their countries without a big PPV payday.

I don't really know why you would do it if you're fighting for a living....

You only get so many punches to the head....why waste even a tiny percentage of it on this shit?

Fighting for your country is a noble thought but most of us live in countries that are disappointing and don't give much of a shit about us if we're being real. Look out for you. Get paid. Period.

As a former boxer, I tend to keep a close eye on the olympics given how many superstars of boxing have cut their teeth there.

I admit I was a bit shocked at the inclusion of professional fighters in the upcoming olympics.

I've seen arguments on both sides of the fence for and against it but ultimately I think its logical given the inclusion of other pros in the event. Basketball has the absolute best of the NBA, hockey the best of the NHL. Even soccer allows pros to compete (although there is an age limit there).

Boxing is pretty much one of the only sports historically that has been for "amateurs" only. Then again, most other olympic sports do not typically have professional sports leagues and world cup events (skiing for example) do not disqualify skiers from returning to the olympics if they qualify (And in fact world events lead to qualification).

So what are your thoughts? The detractors of it feel there could be some horrible mismatches, putting a seasoned pro boxer up against a relative newcomer (Who could be as young as 19). The age limit was raised in part due to pro's being included (and the removal of headgear).

I predict boxing in Tokyo will be very interesting this year depending on which pros are willing to fight for their countries without a big PPV payday.
They did it 4 years ago.
3 Pro boxers entered the tourney with none of them making it past the final 16.
Hasssan N'Dan N'Jikam, who ironically went to win the interim WBA Middleweight title right after this, Amnat Ruenroeng, and Carmine Tommasone.
They said the way they score amateur points and the format threw them off. Hassan still believed he shouldve advanced, and he should have, but its sorta different.
Having said that, all guys were around their mid 30s at the time.
Id like too see some young guns like Ryan Garcia jump in there or even one of the elites in the sport who doesnt have a medal.
Imagine Canelo fighting for Mexico.
Would be insane.

No I don't like it. They are two different sports. The ammies suit the younger fighters, cut your teeth an amateur then become a pro. But I'm sure the same argument was made about Basketball and Football.

I don't like it either. I understand why the professionals should be allowed to if they so choose & they go through the process of qualifying through the trials, etc. but I just don't like it.
Besides, I believe that the WBC has stated that any ranked fighter who chooses to compete in the Olympics will be removed from the rankings, stripped of their titles, etc. for doing so. And I think the other sanctioning bodies may have followed suit with the same sort of edict.

besides Amnat Ruenroeng who else has done this?

I don't like it either. I understand why the professionals should be allowed to if they so choose & they go through the process of qualifying through the trials, etc. but I just don't like it.
Besides, I believe that the WBC has stated that any ranked fighter who chooses to compete in the Olympics will be removed from the rankings, stripped of their titles, etc. for doing so. And I think the other sanctioning bodies may have followed suit with the same sort of edict.
Yes, maybe there could be a special rule for guys that don't have more than 5 pro fights, but other than that I wouldn't allow pros. In an ideal world I'd also have ann age limit of 26/27 years, so nearly all the great amateurs who have turned pro too late/were pressured by their country to stay in th amateur ranks would have a real incentive to turn pro when they are still in their prime.

Yes, maybe there could be a special rule for guys that don't have more than 5 pro fights, but other than that I wouldn't allow pros. In an ideal world I'd also have ann age limit of 26/27 years, so nearly all the great amateurs who have turned pro too late/were pressured by their country to stay in th amateur ranks would have a real incentive to turn pro when they are still in their prime.
Excellent points/ideas.
I especially like the age limit idea.

what difference does it make today, the art is lost and the top pros are basically amateurish. that's not to consider how many other athletes from other sports have criss crossed that suppossed line with endorsements or bring their best from basketball teams. at any rate, their supposed ethics were always inconsistent and stupid. jim thorpe had his medals stripped because he made a few bucks playing baseball or something. If the rules were really strict, they'd strip ali and leonard, I think both got paid, ali got paid by a television show that gave him money as an ammie i think, and ray leonard says some guy molested him for a grand or so. it's all bullshit, but that's the world we live in.

I'm curious as to what you like about it as no elite professionals are ever going to go back to compete in the Olympics. Boxing is nothing like basketball or hockey or tennis.
that's a good point, no one with any money or accomplishments is going to fuck around with the olympics.

N'Dam and an Italian Lightweight pro named Carmine Tommasone

Cuba aside, this was my first impulse. There have been many top Italian amateur boxers over the last couple decades who have stuck to the amateurs because for them, in Italy, its was as lucrative as going pro. An Italian champ is about as lucrative a boxer as any promoter could have in his stable, in North America, especially. Makes sense that they'd be trying to draw some of these Italian prize fighters into the pro ranks.

Back