Thoughts on Primal BluePrint?

As a physician at a research hospital ill say this: they might not be poison per se, but in the next 5-7 years you are going to see a lot of credible research about limiting sugar intake, especially with regards to those who have cancer (solid tumors more so than leukemia)

If I recall there was a study done at UCLA that showed increased proliferation of tumor cells when fed fructose versus glucose. Not all sugars are the same.

Just checked out his website. Never realized supplements were so popular 40,000 years ago.

It's funny he says to avoid certain high carb fruits yet sells extracts from those fruits in his supplements. His supplements are actually pretty good but way overpriced.

It's funny he says to avoid certain high carb fruits yet sells extracts from those fruits in his supplements. His supplements are actually pretty good but way overpriced.

Exactly.

His "low carb" protein mix has a bunch of sugar in it.

PRIMAL YO.

Exactly.

His "low carb" protein mix has a bunch of sugar in it.

PRIMAL YO.

I don't know why, but your post made me think of the "Maaaaaa, I need more protein" guy from youtube a few years back.

About two years ago, I found the site by accident and read the whole thing in a day. I was so inspired that I changed my diet the next day (mid-week if I recall correctly. No "I'll start Monday" shit for me.)

I didn't take the whole diet to heart. I did, though, follow the guidelines. Once or twice a week I'd cave in to my cravings and overload on junk food. I never counted macros or anything, either. I just tried to only eat meat and approved vegetables and fruits and left it at that.

I lost a lot of weight and felt great but I'll be damned if I didn't get tired of the taste of eggs and steak after the first year. There's only so many ways you can fancy up eggs and seasonings for steak.

Eventually I totally got off track and have since put back on all my weight and then some (on purpose mind you, as I went on a bulk but have yet to start the cut).

Don't buy the book and don't go balls-to-the-wall. That's my only advice. For the average person that just wants to lose some weight for vanity, eat this way for 4 days or whatever, then be less strict the other 3 days. Have some sweets here and there if you have to or some bread or whatever.

another fad name for basic nutrition/fitness knowledge.

Don't buy the book and don't go balls-to-the-wall. That's my only advice. For the average person that just wants to lose some weight for vanity, eat this way for 4 days or whatever, then be less strict the other 3 days. Have some sweets here and there if you have to or some bread or whatever.

This is very good advice in general!

While he certainly is a paleo enthusiast, he has more moderate views than some paleo supporters, encouraging athletes to to eat Yams and rice occasionally. If anything, I would read his daily blog posts that not only discuss dieting and food choices, but overall life and health choices that promote longevity.

He also posts some occasional kick ass recipes every saturday, but he has an archive of every recipe that he's ever posted. They are worth checking out.

You may not agree with his dietary views, but beyond those the free material he provides on his website are awesome.

Strange I thought Sherdog generally approves of low-carb diets.
I have read several books on nutrition so far and pretty much everything he says makes sense.

Eat veggies, a bit of fruit, and lots of protein and healthy fat from all from organic sources. Compensate for lack of sun exposure in modern days wiith vitamin d supplements. Compensate for modern food with multi and eat some protein powders to save on rather expensive organic meat. Aim for 50 to 100 grams of carbs to lose weight ( mild ketosis ) Don't watch calories.
Do sprints , and be active all day with occasional weight-lifting.

Thats pretty much it. Whats there to dislike again?

Last edited:
Strange I thought Sherdog generally approves of low-carb diets.

That was the case a few years ago, but a lot of the pro-low carb regulars have disappeared.

Eat veggies, a bit of fruit, and lots of protein and healthy fat from all from organic sources. Compensate for lack of sun exposure in modern days wiith vitamin d supplements. Compensate for nutrient-dense food with multi and eat some protein powders to save on rather expensive organic meat. Aim for 50 to 100 grams of carbs to lose weight ( mild ketosis ) Don't watch calories.
Do sprints and be active all day with occasional weight-lifting.

Thats pretty much it. Whats there to dislike again?

I dislike the bolded parts. Counting calories (and macros) is the most crucial part of dieting unless you're a truly special flower. Reducing carbs on its own does nothing for fat loss.

Also, lifting regularly is the optimal solution. 2-4 times per week using heavy compound exercises at a high intensity for low reps is the best way to be strong and useful.

Finally, I hate the idea of just doing sprints. Sprints are great for people who have a strong aerobic base (like Mark Sisson), but they're a sub par choice for average people who want to get in shape. It's extremely hard to reap the benefits of intense anaerobic conditioning unless the aerobic system is well-developed. Most people would be much better off doing long, slow cardio at a heart rate of 130-150.

The most important part of the plan is the 80/20 adherence. Sisson doesn't say that you have to eat this way 100% of the time like a lot of paleo types and Primal Blueprint is not paleo anyway because he recommends high fat dairy and other non paleo foods like the occasional beer.

Regardless of anyone's opinion, I hope I look that good when I'm pushing 60

The most important part of the plan is the 80/20 adherence. Sisson doesn't say that you have to eat this way 100% of the time like a lot of paleo types and Primal Blueprint is not paleo anyway because he recommends high fat dairy and other non paleo foods like the occasional beer.

Regardless of anyone's opinion, I hope I look that good when I'm pushing 60

Sisson is definitely more of a moderate Paleo-ish zealot. I like him, and I love his website. I too wish that I could look like him when I'm his age. I just dislike some of his methods, but he seems to know in the back of his mind that some of the things he believes are unsuitable for people beyond the newb stage of dieting.

carb arguments get twisted too easily imo.

no carb is not sustainable, but certainly works to lose weight in a hurry.

good carbs are awesome, but people "dieting" often overdo them and eat too much of it because it is closer to comfort foods. thus, they claim it doesnt work as well as no carb.

the bit more experienced on it ride right in the middle. eating the good carbs, but still watching the intake (like you should with any food).

Back