Thoughts on Bellator's First PPV

skeeza00

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was a for sure buy with Alvarez/Chandler 3, but backed out at the last minute really questioning if it would be worth it. I thought Rampage/Mo would be a weaker version of Rampage/Shad. Which was a horrible fight. Chandler/Alvarez is guaranteed fireworks. Chandler/Brooks didn't have the appeal. After seeing it, I believe it would have been well worth the money.

Rainey vs MVP- I have not been on the MVP hype train, but you can count me in to an extent. I still have to see him versus a good to great wrestler but he was dominating vs a solid fighter with potential. His striking was very exciting to watch and Andersonesque. That isn't to say he is the next Anderson. I will pay to see this guy fight.

Volkov vs Ivanov- Fairly dominating performance by Volkov, and his reach/height was just too much for the shorter Ivanov. I didn't know who would win this. I see this fight going Volkov's way 8 out of 10 times now. Just a bad match-up for Ivanov.

Tito vs Storm- I didn't know what to think of this fight and I still am not sure what to think of it. This fight was vintage for me, and I didn't see a quick, easy submission in the cards. Here is what I do know: Tito isn't back. Storm hurt his legacy some, but not as much as others believe. Size does definitely matter in MMA.

Chandler vs Brooks- I thought Chandler would take this. As I thought he would have been better in all area's of MMA. I saw this fight being much like the first two rounds. A fairly boring affair with Chandler winning in five rounds. During the third round a lot of things changed. This fight got very intriguing, and I was on the edge of my seat.

I am a big Chandler fan, and thought he won the 1st, 2nd, and 5th. Saying that, I clearly thought Brooks did more damage and was closer to finishing the fight more times.

Mo Vs Rampage- I never buy into fight game trash talk, because I often feel it is contrived and fake. I am not sure I still feel that way with these two. I do think most of it is fake, but not all of it. I think Mo wants to be the next Rampage, and he just isn't.

I knew Mo would not fight Page on the feet, and would take him down. That is exactly what he did a good portion of the fight. This fight ended up being better than Page/Shad. The end of the fight was way better than Page/Shad. I did think Mo would get the nod on the cards due to take downs. Like the previous fight I thought Page did much more damage and was closer to finishing.

Overall it was an enjoyable watch, and I will be more likely to get the next one. My score cards were off on the last two, but in a way I think the right guy won. Conventional fight scoring takes a more control approach, and these judges took a more damage approach. I personally wish fights would be more judged on damage.

not bad, it was fun at least with Page's standup, watching Tito win brought back memories from long ago, and Brooks impressed

I can see them doing another one

I dont regret spending 35 bucks in the least!.. Will do it again on their next ppv!

Entertaining, but probably not for all reasons Bellator wanted. I'm glad I didn't pay for it though, the fights themselves weren't worth it.

Eh I enjoyed it. I just worry about the path Bellator is choosing for hype.

I know Dana's is loving the fact his old has-been fighter he's dropped are still able to beat some of their top guys.

Page Mo fight was a snoozefest.

The smack talk at the end was somewhat entertaining but not enough to watch them again.

another thing I'll add is that I haven't seen the Worldwide MMA section this active in a long time so at least people are talking about the event. They have to consider that a positive.

I know Dana's is loving the fact his old has-been fighter he's dropped are still able to beat some of their top guys.

They just gave a guy a title shot for beating Bader, a guy that lost to Tito...

They just gave a guy a title shot for beating Bader, a guy that lost to Tito...

I must be missing your counter point. First, Tito's win over Bader was 3 years ago. Second, I'm not being a UFC "dickrider," but do you mean Glover the guy who was on a 20 fight win streak including 5 straight wins in the UFC. I'm thinking he got a title shot based on his body of work and the fact Jones had previously cleared out most of the rest of the top 10 fighter. It wasn't just the one win over Bader that got him the title fight.

Back