• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Thoughts about Colby going to 155 division?

Usman makes his opponents look lighter since he is jacked. Colby looks like he could go a bit lighter probably comfy at 165, maybe stretch to 160. Colby could do 155 but would be scrawny look like a distance runner. Colby gave Usman as good a challenge as anyone for quite some time. No need for Colby to drop. Usman probably retires before long. LW tough division too so he would just be drained.

Seems like he'd be able to get the LW strap, maybe get khabib to return.

It probably is better top to bottom, but there is no one as good as Usman, who Colby is ALMOST as good as.

I think he's a nightmare match up for Islam.

I think Dustin is a bad match up for Colby though.
Islam is a nightmare matchup for both colby and Usman.. he has great striking, might be better than Colby/Usman or on the same level but has grappling thats 10x better than Usman//colby

I actually have wrestled and know ALOT about weightcutting.

Am I saying Colby cutting to 155 would be easy? No. I didn't say that.

What I am saying is he should give it a try because his career at 170 is going to be of a gatekeeper that's never going to get a 3rd shot at Usman unless he starts KOing everybody out, and that ain't going to happen.
Stop it... colby isn't making 155 ever, there is huge difference between walk around weight and in shape weight when you diet down, colby doesn't get fat, he also probably has a fast metabolism which doesn't allow him to pack on a lot of fat. Porrier on the other hand has fought at 145, do you honestly think colby is ever making 145? Porriers in shape weight is like 175 to 178, colby's is over 180. He's not gonna make 155 and if he somehow managed to, he would be severely compromised to the point of not being able to fight effectively.

I actually have wrestled and know ALOT about weightcutting.

If thats true, I'm completely baffled how you don't understand Colby Covington hasn't made 150s since he was a young teenager and wrestled Division I NCAA at 174lbs as a 5th year senior.

Look at him on the scale making 170lbs, he's very lean, not overly muscled and BONE DRY. Where in the world are you saying 15lbs is going to come from?

How are you not aware that Poirer is - literally - a smaller framed human then Covington?

Something doesn't add up.

What I am saying is he should give it a try because

Full stop, you don't know what you are talking about. I know you are a good poster but this is out of your scope of understanding. He cannot safely make a scale read 155lbs.

It's a good idea for Colby.
Maybe he should just give it a try?
After all, it's just cutting more weight, not gaining weight.

Has he actually mentioned LW or where does all the talk come from?
Would be interesting, but I don't see it happening. He's an average sized WW.

I don't believe colby can cut to lightweight, sure Usman is bigger but colby is still a bigger welterweight.

The answer is you haven't wrestled or fought so you do not know what you're looking at.

Colby wrestled in the NCAA Division I and was All American at 174lbs as a 5th year senior in college.

He's lean and BONE DRY on the scale at 170lbs. People like you with no experience cutting weight get confused by walking weight and body size. He is obviously a larger human compared to Poirer, but Poirer likes to pack on weight between fights. Colby never gets out of shape.

The last time Colby could compete at 150s was in high school. Literally. This is not a human who has 15lbs to shed and then take on an athletic endeavor.

colby-covington-ufc-245-official-weigh-ins.jpg

Yeah, for a guy that lean to make 155 an amputation may well be in order. Similar to Izzy at MW, he's in no way a massive jacked guy for his weight division but there is basically no fat on him to be lost so it would require a hero water cut of Machinist-esque proportions.

Last edited:
With 2 losses against the current champ that's one of his only options at this point. He can become a gatekeeper at 170 until Usman retires or loses, or he can move to another division. Probably too small for 185, so 155 would be a good option.

He should do it, he’s been in that insular bubble of 170lbs for too long

I don't know where the hell he taking 15 lbs off without being a walking skeleton. Do you not see how lean he is already?

He could benefit for a weight division in between like a 162lb division but 15 lbs is a lot.
Just by dehydration in water weight, there are definitely ways and he has the discipline for it

Colby is already pretty lean at 170. I know he doesn’t have the muscle mass that Usman does, but where exactly can Colby lose weight to get to 155? He’s got a six pack at 170.

Not everyone has the same weight cutting range or the ability to translate their skills when cutting more or less.

I think Colby is in the right weight class, Kamaru is just enormous for 170 and finds a way to cut effectively while maintaining excellent conditioning.

He's pretty lean already so 170 is probably a good place for him. But if he did go down he would probably ragdoll everyone

Frankie didn't start fighting at his natural weight until a few years ago. Don't assume you know what motivates people you don't know
Frankie had no choice when he started fighting in the UFC. There was no division under 155. Where in my post did I say anything regarding motivation? I'm talking about what is physically possible for him. He won the state championship at 171 in HS.

He has a pretty large frame and to make 155 he would have to drop a fair amount of lean body weight. Could he do it? Possibly. Would it benefit him as a fighter? That would be for him to decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wat
Back