Thought for tweaking TUF

Goatjc160

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm watching the UFC prelims on FX and saw the banner ad for Sonnen/Jones on Tuesdays. My first thought was oh, Tuesdays should do better ratings since it's a weekday night with little social/TV competition.

Then I thought that perhaps the show could gain some of their lost rating back by showing more of the training/coaching. I don't mean more spin drills or jogging on treadmills. I mean more of coaches explaining techniques to fighters more thoroughly. It could give just bleed fans a more technical understanding particularly of ground control/guard passes/grappling in general.

And I am aware that the "TUF tweak" threads have been done to death but it was a passing thought that I felt like sharing.

-Goat

I'm watching the UFC prelims on FX and saw the banner ad for Sonnen/Jones on Tuesdays. My first thought was oh, Tuesdays should do better ratings since it's a weekday night with little social/TV competition.

Then I thought that perhaps the show could gain some of their lost rating back by showing more of the training/coaching. I don't mean more spin drills or jogging on treadmills. I mean more of coaches explaining techniques to fighters more thoroughly. It could give just bleed fans a more technical understanding particularly of ground control/guard passes/grappling in general.

And I am aware that the "TUF tweak" threads have been done to death but it was a passing thought that I felt like sharing.

-Goat

Reality television is all about drama. TUF is about drama with a fight at the end of every show. Every reality show loses its appeal over time.

The talent on TUF is becoming more watered down. My suggestion would be to reformat the entire thing and make it nothing like what we know now. Scrap the coaches and reality show. Become more selective with talent and hold two eight man tournaments every year, or one sixteen man tournament. During this tournament documentary crews would make a story out of each guy's training. I know it wouldn't be the dumbed down thing that has mass appeal (any reality show), but I think it would do more for the development of mma.

But if we did that how will we know who the Just let me bang bro? guy is that season?

This is why you don't work in t.v sir.. People watch reality t.v for thr drama

They gotta do something the show sucks I might start watching it again if they would focus more on training

I'm not saying erase the drama entirely. But it's clear the ratings have dropped across the board from the faithful, watch fights all the time fans to the relative noobs. There's still room for alcohol fueled hijinks and stupidity but a slight adjustment could help the show I believe. Plus virtually none of the drama ever come to a head in the Octagon after the show.

-Goat

Back