Those of you in Japan & SoCal - BJJ "Vacation" - Where to?

GINZALINE

White Belt
Reaction score
I was in the process of planning a 6 month trip to Thailand to practice muay thai . However, I recently got around thinking about a BJJ "vacation". I know there probably isn't anything similar to muay thai camps for BJJ, but I was wondering what gyms any of you might know about that allow you to train as much as you like throughout the day (at least 6 to 8 hours). Ideally, I'd like to keep the BJJ gyms limited to Tokyo, Japan and Southern California. I'm also open to MMA gyms.

So far this is what I know:

- Axis Jiu Jitsu and Paraestra - I hear a lot about great bjj from both of these. Paraestra is a shooto gym. Not really sure I could get roughly 6 - 8 hours of training at either place though.

- No Limits MMA in the OC has a lot of BJJ classes and one could easily train roughly 6-8 hours.

- Most BJJ schools don't seem to be open through out the day in California.

The problem I'm having is just finding what's out there because it seems there are so many gyms in both Tokyo and SoCal.

I was in the process of planning a 6 month trip to Thailand to practice muay thai . However, I recently got around thinking about a BJJ "vacation". I know there probably isn't anything similar to muay thai camps for BJJ, but I was wondering what gyms any of you might know about that allow you to train as much as you like throughout the day (at least 6 to 8 hours). Ideally, I'd like to keep the BJJ gyms limited to Tokyo, Japan and Southern California. I'm also open to MMA gyms.

- Axis Jiu Jitsu and Paraestra - I hear a lot about great bjj from both of these. Paraestra is a shooto gym. Not really sure I could get roughly 6 - 8 hours of training at either place though.

- No Limits MMA in the OC has a lot of BJJ classes and one could easily train roughly 6-8 hours.

The problem I'm having is just finding what's out there because it seems there are so many gyms in both Tokyo and SoCal.

there is BJJ camps too...but the best ones are probably in Brazil

If I were to take a BJJ vacation, it'd probably be in Southern Cali where I already live. I was planning on going to Brazil last summer but no one I trained with could afford to go with me so I wasn't able to go, but after thinking about it I realized I could hit up just as many great places here in cali if I wanted to. The amount of great BJJ in San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles is just plain disgusting, there are so many great gyms here it's unbelievable. That's not even mentioning the great gyms in the bay area and even farther north.

So, if I were you I'd look into cali for a "BJJ vacation".

EDIT - Saw that you're looking for one gym in particular. Team Quest in Temecula has classes going all day, I'd bet AKA has stuff going all day. If I could train anywhere in the USA for MMA, though, I'd probably go to ATT in Florida.

If I were to take a BJJ vacation, it'd probably be in Southern Cali where I already live. I was planning on going to Brazil last summer but no one I trained with could afford to go with me so I wasn't able to go, but after thinking about it I realized I could hit up just as many great places here in cali if I wanted to. The amount of great BJJ in San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles is just plain disgusting, there are so many great gyms here it's unbelievable. That's not even mentioning the great gyms in the bay area and even farther north.

So, if I were you I'd look into cali for a "BJJ vacation".

EDIT - Saw that you're looking for one gym in particular. Team Quest in Temecula has classes going all day, I'd bet AKA has stuff going all day. If I could train anywhere in the USA for MMA, though, I'd probably go to ATT in Florida.

Could you give me some example of these great gyms in Southern California?

Could you give me some example of these great gyms in Southern California?

Well, just gonna throw it out in the beginning that there's a Gracie Barra in almost every city in SoCal.

I'm in SD so around here there's Rodrigo Medeiros, Roy Harris, Saulo and Xande Ribeiro, Fabio Santos, I think Baret Yoshida is here too, Carlos Valente, there's Brandon Vera's gym I believe is called Alliance Training Center, the Throwdown gym (I think Dean Lister is there but I'm not sure), Team Quest is in Temecula.

In Orange County, there's No Limits, Tinguinha, OC Kickboxing, Erik Paulson teaches CSW there I believe, Ralph Gracie.

In Los Angeles, there's the Machados, Gracie Academy, Rickson, Legends, Eddie Bravo, Gokor, BTT.

Farther up north is AKA, Fairtex, Cesar Gracie.

And just so you know, I just pulled up all these gyms from a few Sherdog searches. I only really mentioned the big names, too, there are a lot more lesser known gyms in the area.

It seems like you have some good options in Cali.

Here is a review I found of a good school in Japan.

The school I have to mention first and foremost is PARAESTRA. Ex SHOOTO champion, BJJ Competitor (don’t be surprised if Yuki wins the Mundial in coming years), and Japan VALE TUDO 95 Finalist YUKI NAKAI (famous for being eye gouged to the point of severe eye damage and still fighting to the finals against Rickson Gracie. This man is the definition of heart) runs this school. Nakai san is a very down to earth and good-natured person. Paraestra has a curriculum of Brazilian Jiu jitsu (BJJ), and Shooto. I came in and did BJJ first. Nakai San is a legit top-level black belt is all I can say about training with him. His school also has a very open door policy for students from other schools. One morning there were representatives from practically every top jiu jitsu school in Japan (Purbred, unbeatable BJJ, Gracie Barra, Etc) on the mat. It was nice to train with absolutely no politics. I would come in the afternoon on MON-WED-FRI at 1pm for training. There were usually always at least three good purple belts and a black belt (at the very least). The training consisted of open sparing, five-minute matches. The jiu jitsu training was great and I don’t think you will find a better place to train BJJ in Japan. There was always a black belt on the mat (One day I trained with arguably the two best black belts in Japan in Nakai San and Hiyakoya) and one day there were three. Yuki is a first-rate competitor and teacher. It was an honor to train at his school, and he made me feel welcome immediately. I also came to some of the Paraestra SHOOTO classes. Shooto is basically free fighting style. The instructor is SHOOTO ranked fighter Fujiwara. The classes are based on wrestling takedowns, Kickboxing striking, and Jiu jitsu groundwork. If you’re interested in TOTAL FIGHTING this is the style to train in. I came in and did wrestling drills, wrestling drills with groundwork. I didn’t participate in the striking, but it looked very high quality. The training consisted of 3-minute rounds, but I would usually do two in a row. The classes have a lot of good students and Pro fighters, so the level of training is great. I can’t say enough about this school. There are 10 PARAESTRA academies in the local area, but I trained at the Tokyo (main school) location. Classes are available everyday. The best way to get there is by Subway. The stop is Shin-Egota, off the OEDO LINE. The school is literally 3 storefronts from the A2 subway exit. The phone number is 03-5984-3209. Nakai San speaks English, so ask to speak to him.

BTW guys I do travel, IF you want to book a trip Just PM me. I will do all the leg work, its free, just let me book the trip/accomodations for you!

Thanks

I train at Paraestra Tokyo, and the instruction is very good. Many quality BJJ players there. The only downside is the place is super small and smelly.
They also have many branches across Tokyo as well as the rest of Japan.
They also have Sambo classes,wrestling/Judo classes, no gi classes, as well as mma/striking stuff too.

There are a number of solid BJJ gyms in the Tokyo area, if you want to hit up a few. Axis is quality and they have a nice place. Purebred is good too. You wont be void of places to train if you stop in Tokyo.

no limits has classes every day during the week and open mat on weekends. u could do gi and then nogi.

gracie barra also has gi and no gi class every day. but its expensive.

AxisJJ obviously, best training I ever had in my life, friendly, clean and english classes. They pay attention to you since you're obviously there to learn. If not i'd day Brazil, get out of the country always a life changing experience and you can't regret it.

2094037623_8fca014792_b.jpg

You could probably get close to 6 hours at Axis...if you took a few classes a day.
At the weekends, there is some free mat time after the last class in the afternoons and I thik I remember the morning weekday class there is a bit of free mat time.

Cool gyms in socal for you.

Oc muay thai

cSw

Wildcard boxing

city boxing

Brandon veras new gym

10th plant/legends

Dean listers xtream c

Team quest-temcula

North couty fight club- temcula

Rickson gracie-La

Hb ultimate

Joe stevensons Cobra Kai

I think Gracie bara and Royce have schools near La.

There are other gyms around with some good up and comeing fighters in So-Cal
Team Oyama in upland.
Croy cass has the Fight lab
I think Brian warrens Unbreakable gym. Thomas dennys team Wildman
Millenia Bjj.
Beverly hills Bjj
R1 Training Center
The late Jeremy williams Apex now subfighter.

royce gracie's academy is in long beach - Neutral Grounds

Hollywood BJJ(Team Renzo Gracie) -Hollywood

Rey Diogo BJJ(Carlson Gracie Team) -West LA

Crosley Gracie -Brentwood

Street Sport -Santa Monica

Gokor -N. Hollywood

Leo Vieira BJJ -La Habra(Team Brasa)

Gracie Barra is mostly in every city, the main one is in Lake Forest headed by Marcio Feitosa

New Breed -Santa Fe Springs

Back