This is why leg kicks aren't really effective.

Andy Hug ended a guy with a spinning heel kick to the leg
p2b8fly.gif
Looks like a Charlie horse from hell

the only thing coming to mind is "this guy has soft ass chicken legs and is pillow-footed"

jabs also rarely finish fights. lets all stop throwing 'teh jab' and stick with our overhand rights bois!

Rarely finish a guy with a jab... doesn't mean you shouldn't throw them

Pedro rizzo vs Roman zentsov proved that ages ago

I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.
Depends really.

Back in the good old days when Aldo would throw them at the end of combo's they were extremely effective and feared and throwing while you had your opponent retreating at that speed made them near impossible to check or counter.

Sure, they never finished fights but they severely hindered his opponents movement and had them fighting tentatively for fear of them resulting in him hardly being hit back then, (at least until he would inevitably run out of gas late in fights).

Pettis leg kicking Diaz early and often is definitely a good strategy and what will eventually lead to the late TKO stemming from a liver kick on a hobbled Diaz. Just look at how many times Cowboy was dropping him with leg kicks in the 3rd round of there fight despite being completely deflated and beaten by that point.

haha cmon now dude, they are super effective. Nothing kills a fighters game like not being able to move

So leg kicks are NOT effective, yet, if you use them correctly as intended, they work fine?

Thanks for the heads up!

Namajunas' flush power punches > Joanna's ineffective leg kicks. Namajunas slowing down had more to do with pacing and cardio than anything else.

1st: 10-9 Namajunas
2nd: 10-9 Namajunas
3rd: 10-9 Joanna
4th: 10-10 Draw / 10-9 Joanna
5th: 10-9 Namajunas

ATT is up w Poirier against Khabib soon. A Joanna / Rose repeat w end in certain death for Dustin.<{imoyeah}>

Depends on who you are fighting imo

Anyone who fights Nate Diaz would be silly not to blast his legs

Look what Jeremy Stephens did to Giblert

Gaethje limited MJs movement quite a bit by chopping at his legs

Yet no one has finished Nate with leg kicks. Cerrone landed quite a few, but Nate punched his face more than Cowboy landed kicks.

Given that Pettis has never finished anyone with leg kicks (and has only used them with some success in one fight), I don't get why 75% of Sherdog thinks he'll beat Nate with leg kicks and "superior movement."

silva%20v%20irvin%20leg%20kick%20counter.gif

Nice leg kick by Irvin.

Everything after the knockdown was unnessessary. That cut that the last punch opened up under is eye was nasty and left him with a yoel-esque eye for the rest of his life.

You would think Gaethe could've gotten some easy takedowns with how damaged Poirier's legs were.
I think if Gaethje (sp) started mixing in takedowns and faking takedowns to set up strikes he'd make it up to at least to the top 4 in LW or perhaps even higher.

Back