This is the diet that worked for me...

frettish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In this thread I detailed my weight loss ( http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=301663 ), and said I would post my diet.

Looking forward to getting some feedback. Anything I should change? Anything I should add? I am no expert at this and I really have no rhyme or reason why I eat what I eat, it's just what I "thought" was the right thing to do from the little nutrition information I picked up here and there over the years.

This is a 5 meal a day list...

Breakfast (1 per day)

1 cup of Total Whole Grain cereal
1 cup of skim milk

Lunch / Dinner (2 of any of the following options per day)

Lunch/Dinner Option A
1 can tuna
4 pieces of whole grain wheat
1 slice of onion
1 pickle
1 table spoon "low fat" mayonaise

Lunch/Dinner Option B
4 pieces of

Have you calculated your total calories for each option? It looks like you have it nailed down tight enough you can start counting calories closely.

Off the bat, the same problem we always see in here: not enough greens. You should have veggies at every meal, and there isn't nearly enough in your Lunch/Dinner options.

also, maybe u mentioned it in your other thread, but did you have any off days built into your diet? Or were you pretty much always on?

Eat some protein for breakfast.

Flounder said:
also, maybe u mentioned it in your other thread, but did you have any off days built into your diet? Or were you pretty much always on?

I don't have any scheduled off days, as in "eat whatever I want on Sundays", but there does come a time every so often where I will eat out, or have a few drinks, or be forced to eat fast food. But during those times I still always choose from the healthiest options available to me at the time.

I didn't really feel the need for a cheat day because sticking to this isn't that hard... and I figure I will only need to stray off this diet when I have to.

Madmick said:
Have you calculated your total calories for each option? It looks like you have it nailed down tight enough you can start counting calories closely.

Off the bat, the same problem we always see in here: not enough greens. You should have veggies at every meal, and there isn't nearly enough in your Lunch/Dinner options.

No, I haven't. I go grocery shopping every Sunday. Maybe I will do it then...

I hear you about the greens. Hardest thing for me to get into...

Flounder said:
hard to argue with success.

Well, not to be self-depricating, but I think this was mostly successful due to the fact that I came off of such horrible eating habbits that consisted only of fast food and carry out, joined with the fact that I got absolutely zero exercize for many years, that any change over to normal food and at least some physical activity was going to drop some pounds off.

Which is why I am seeking pointers on the diet being that when I get rid of all of my "fast food" weight, and need to really start working hard at cutting the last 20-30 lbs, I am going to need a diet better than this (at least I think I will need one.)

Thanks to everyone for your replies thus far.

b0b said:
Eat some protein for breakfast.

Would 1 hard boiled egg white be sufficient in addition to my bowl of Total?

Mind you, I am only cutting right now rather than packing on muscle. I only lift weights once in awhile. (If that matters in your estimation.)

You inspired my dieting in your original thread, fret, and I agree with mick: more greens.

Spinach salads mixed with only the stuff you think tastes good (try not to pour a lot of dressing, if at all) before the actually dish (the lunch dish or dinner ) really makes me feel full after i'm done eating everything. Spinach rules, and it doesn't taste that bad, I like it.

frettish said:

Mind you, I am only cutting right now rather than packing on muscle. I only lift weights once in awhile. (If that matters in your estimation.)

I think that is a good addition. I like to eat one or two boiled eggs when I have oatmeal or cereal in the AM. Sometimes I toss out the yolk on the 2nd egg (I'm sure Urban is scowling at that).

Anyway, eggs are so great for cheap and high quality protein.

frettish said:

I know you aren't trying to bulk up. The protein helps keep you full and digests slowly.

Oh, ok then. Thanks for the tip. When I go shopping today I will pick up some extra eggs and some (eww) greens. :)

Hey man, I am going to try your diet. I turned into a tub of shit after an injury. Just now started to go back to the gym. I have never had to diet or try to loose weight. I need to loose about 30-45lbs. Do you have any tips? More advice the better, thanks

too much tuna is not good for you....too much mercury is bad for the brain

Fret you are an insperation to all, keep up the good work, you have done a great job, Because of reading your thread a few months back i have lost 20lb in 2 months going from 205 to 183, my goal is to weigh in the 160s, 169 and 3/4 will do just fine.....post new pics when you can...

Amerika said:
too much tuna is not good for you....too much mercury is bad for the brain
Don't worry too much about the mercury in tuna. The CDC found that you can safely eat a ca of tuna everyday without having problems (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-148-diet). Being that tuna is only one of your meal options I doubt your eating even that much.

I'm with you on the veggies. I have trouble getting enough. Do a search for "Greens+". It's supposed to have the equivalent of 6-10 servings of vegetables in one tablespoon. I'm going to order some today.

I'd say get more protein. You should have a serving in every meal, including your snacks (options c & d are lacking). The one egg in the morning is also a little lacking. Try out egg white omelets and see how you like them. Add spinach to them to help you with your greens.
Protein has the highest thermogenic effect of any macronutrient(it takes more energy to digest it) and provides a feeling of satiety to help you diet. It's also important for making sure you maintain as much lean mass as possible while you loose weight. Even though your goal might not be to gain muscle, it should at least be to maintain muscle while you lose fat.

In other words: protein, protein, protein

PROTEIN

I agree that you should ad more veggies in that diet. It may be working for you but you still need a few tweaks here and there.

I also noticed you do a lot of "low fat" stuff. Is there some reasoning behind that? Like "low fat" peanut butter for example. It's not the fat in peanut butter you need to look out for its the other crap in there....like sugar, sodium, hydrogenated oils etc. I would replace your low fat peanut butter with 100% natural peanut butter and keep the good fat in it.

AgentCooper said:
I agree that you should ad more veggies in that diet. It may be working for you but you still need a few tweaks here and there.

I also noticed you do a lot of "low fat" stuff. Is there some reasoning behind that? Like "low fat" peanut butter for example. It's not the fat in peanut butter you need to look out for its the other crap in there....like sugar, sodium, hydrogenated oils etc. I would replace your low fat peanut butter with 100% natural peanut butter and keep the good fat in it.
Good point. Fat isn't the enemy. It's actually needed by your body to produce testosterone, so don't try to cut it out completely.

Back