This day in boxing history

Today’s update has been delayed due to Chris Cornell tribute concert

Foo Fighters, Metallica, Melvins, Geezer Butler, audioslave, temple of the dog, soundgarden.

January 17
1878: Philadelphia Jack O’Brien born James Francis Hagen.
1905: Cus D’Amato born.

1915: Sammy Angott born Samuel Engotti.
1942: Muhammad Ali born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr.
1964: James (Buddy) McGirt born.
1974: Marco Antonio Barrera born.

Is there a greater day for boxing birthdays? holy shit.

Last edited:
This seems like it's turning into a boxing birthday thread, rather than a "this day"

I still like it though, good job

it varies depending on what inspires me. that b-day list was just incredible. also, running on 2 hours of sleep, birthdays seemed easier to think about that fights!

some good fights for tomorrow, I'll ignore Virgil Hill's birthday

which of these cards would have rather see in person?

1992: Meldrick Taylor W 12 Glenwood Brown, Philadelphia. Retains WBA welterweight title.
Pernell (Sweet Pea) Whitaker W 10 Harold Brazier, Philadelphia.

1997: Kostya Tszyu Tech. Draw 1 Leonardo Mas, Las Vegas. Retains IBF super-Lightweight title. Mas went down three times in the first, but the ref said the last was on a break... alas..

Oscar De La Hoya W 12 Miguel Angel Gonzalez, Las Vegas. Retains WBC Super Lightweight Title.

Maurcio Pastrana W 12 Michael Carbajal, Las Vegas. Wins IBF junior-Flyweight title.

January 19

1978: Wilfredo Gomez KO 3 Royal Kobayashi, Kitakyushu, Japan. Retains WBC super-bantamweight title.

My god could Gomez punch. The Bazooka had 17 consecutive KO’s in defending his title. A brutal left in this fight, started the end. Ref should have stopped it earlier.

Gomez remained undefeated until he ran into Salvador Sanchez. Later, he ran into a buzzsaw named Azumah Nelson and got destroyed. Last knockdown was scary.

2008: Roy Jones Jr. W 12 Felix (Tito) Trinidad, NYC.

Sold by Don King as a ‘dream fight’ and “Bring on the Titans” this fight featured two fighters well past their prime, with a combined age of 74. Never mind RJJ had already fought at HW and Tito had been on the shelf for over 2 years since losing to Winky Wright. RJJ used this fight to get a fight with Joe Calzaghe, who he knocked down, in an otherwise lopsided defeat for Roy. Surprisingly, Joe retired and Roy went on to lose 4 more fights…

if you are inclined to relive this nightmare...

January 20, 2001

Floyd Mayweather stopped Chico Corrales in the 10th. Chico went down 5 times in the fight, including twice in the tenth. After the second KD, Chico's corner threw in the towel, which didn't sit well with the fighter. At that weight, Floyd showed decent pop.

The hand and foot speed Floyd showed in this fight was crazy. At one point, Harold quipped, "Jim, I gotta tell ya, I'm terribly impressed, I don't think I've seen an exhibition of boxing like this since Willie Pep, this kid is unbelievable, great legs, great speed, unbelievable ring-generalship. I mean he's got tremendous presence in that ring, Floyd Mayweather knows where he is, every minute of this fight."

Shortly after the Mayweather fight, Corrales served 14 months in prison for abusing his pregnant wife. Floyd stated, "I want Diego because I'm doing it for all the battered women across America", Mayweather said. "Just like he beat that woman, I'm going to beat him".[

Lol @ Floyd sticking up for battered women. That's like Donald Trump sticking up for mexicans.

January 21, 2006
Timely given last night, both have aged a lot in 12 years. I did my own write up and the computer froze. So I'm going lazy and providing the AP summary.

Pacquiao's punch better than Morales'
By Tim Dahlberg | The Associated Press | 1/22/2006

LAS VEGAS — Manny Pacquiao vowed there would be no excuses this time. It turned out he didn't need any.

Throwing punches at every angle, Pacquiao avenged his defeat 10 months ago and handed Erik Morales the worst beating of his career before finally stopping him in the 10th round Saturday night of their 130-pound showdown.

It was the first time Morales had ever been stopped in what had been a spectacular career, and it came with a spectacular performance by a Filipino who never stopped punching.

The end came at 2:33 of the 10th round when Morales, who had barely gotten up in time from the first knockdown of the round, was knocked back down with a flurry of punches and referee Kenny Bayless wasted no time in stopping the fight.

"I saw I hurt him every time I hit him in the body," Pacquiao said.

Morales face was a mess of welts and he had lumps on his forehead and head after taking the beating of his career. It was the third loss in the last four fights for the Mexican who had held titles in three different weight classes but has been in some bruising fights.

"I was tired because of making weight and I was tired because of all the tough fights I've had," Morales said.

Morales (48-4) had beaten Pacquiao in a 12-round decision last March, a loss Pacquiao blamed on problems with his promoter, his taxman and his gloves. He went into the ring Saturday saying he was 100% and that there would be no excuses, win or lose.

The first fight was a 12-round brawl, and the rematch promised to live up to expectations early with both fighters trading freely and landing clean shots to the head. Pacquaio was busier, though, and seemed to win some early rounds through sheer volume of punches.

No title was at stake, but a lot of national pride was in a bout that drew 14,618 fans to the UNLV campus arena, many cheering their countrymen on.

As the fight went on it was Pacquaio's supporters doing the most cheering as Pacquaio wore down Morales and landed shot after shot to the head and body.

"I could see he was having problems taking my punches," Pacquaio said. "I had no problem taking his."

Pacquaio (41-3-1, 32 knockouts) landed a big punch in the second round, a left hand that sent Morales backwards and forced him to grab onto the top rope to stay up. Morales also appeared ready to go down at the end of the sixth round after a series of punches in the corner, but bounced off referee Kenny Bayless and stayed upright as the bell sounded to end the round.

As the fight went on, Pacquaio kept the pressure on, and Morales looked increasingly weary. Between rounds, he complained that his legs hurt and his cornermen rubbed them.

Morales' corner tried to get their fighter to keep the pressure on, saying Pacquaio didn't know how to fight backwards. But Pacquaio didn't have to because he stayed in front of Morales, bouncing back and forth and throwing punches at every angle.

"The tide turned in the sixth round," said Pacquaio's trainer, Freddie Roach. "I could see Morales was fading from all the body punches and Manny's right hook was beautiful."

Morales was known all his career as a big puncher who never backed up. But for the last 20 seconds of the ninth round he ran from Pacquaio, trying not to take anymore punishment.

"He's all gone," Roach told Pacquaio after the ninth round.

Roach was prophetic as Pacquaio came out and kept the pressure on Morales, whose face was marked by the sheer volume of punches he took. Midway through the round, Pacquaio landed a huge left hand in the middle of a combination that put Morales on the canvas.

Morales stayed there with his arm over a ring rope before finally getting up at the count of nine. Pacquaio was then all over him, landing a flurry that put a defenseless Morales down and ended the fight.

"He hit me with a lot of real good hard shots," Morales said. "I got hit in the head a lot."

January 22
Interesting day. Lot’s of HW fun.

1973: George Foreman KO 2 Joe Frazier, Kingston, Jamaica. Wins world heavyweight title. Foreman, drops Frazier 6 times and ups his record to 38-0 (36). This performance had my dad thinking Ali was doomed when he fought George.

1988: Mike Tyson KO 4 Larry Holmes, Atlantic City. Retains world heavyweight title. This was a sad day for me. I really liked Larry, having grown up with him being the man, and seeing him get hit by a freight train was brutal. Lost in the brutal knockout, was the fact Larry showed a lot of heart in the fight, after being hurt. Funny interview with Mike and Larry.

2002: A brawl erupted at the press conference announcing a bout between heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis and former champ Mike Tyson. A week later, Vegas would vote to not let Tyson fight there-- huh???? When did Vegas ever decline a paycheck? When the fight finally happened, it took place in the fight mecca of Tennessee.

Be warned, lots of language in this one. Mike, in the middle of his tirade was right about one thing, the guy yelling at him from across the room would never do it up close and personal.

January 23

1969: Bob Foster KO 1 Frankie DePaula, NYC. Retains world light-heavyweight title. Early on, DePaula dropped Foster withy a left to the body and a clubbing right to the back. After getting up, Foster dropped DePaula 3 times and the fight was stopped.

Foster had won the title the prior year by knocking out Dick Tiger in the 4th. He would not lose again until he went up to fight Joe Frazier in 1970, who stopped Foster in the 2nd. His next loss would be to Ali in 1972. Foster managed to retain his light HW title until he retired in 1974, after a draw with Ahumada. He made a comeback a year later, but never regained a belt. Foster joined the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department and became a detective. He was inducted into the boxing HOF in 1990.

Foster had a record of 56 wins, 8 losses and 1 draw, with 46 wins coming by knockout. He was named to Ring Magazine's list of 100 Greatest Punchers. He was also named to Ring Magazine's list of the 80 Best Fighters of the Last 80 Years, ranking at #55. Foster died at the age of 76

January 24

1976: George Foreman KO 5 Ron Lyle, Las Vegas. The fourth round wins Round of the Year honors as Foreman is down twice and Lyle once.

Lyle, one of 19 children, was known for his punching power and had wins over Mathis, Shavers, and Ellis. In his teens, Lyle was convicted of second-degree murder in the shooting death of 21-year-old gang rival Douglas Byrd. Lyle argued self defense but was convicted. He took up boxing in prison and was released after 7 years. His first professional fight was at 30.

This is one of the craziest brawls ever. People forget how close Foreman was to going out in the 4th. Talk about saved by the bell. If you've never seen this fight, watch it. It's up there with Hearns Hagler in terms of drama and all out brawl.

2004: Arturo Gatti W 12 Gianluca Branco, Atlantic City.
First fight after the Ward trilogy. HBO convinced folks Gatti was the greatest fighter ever. He had some amazing fights and was a tough SOB. R.I.P.

I was remiss in not mentioning this was George's first fight over a year after Ali. Talk about jumping back into the fire- no training wheels fight for him!

January 25
Spelling bee battle

1939: Joe Louis KO 1 John Henry Lewis, NYC. Retains world heavyweight title. Ebay is selling a ticket stub, asking price $160.

I once saw Lewis listed on somebody's bum of the month club. Although he was small, he is in the HOF and held the LHW title from 1935-38. Ring magazine named Lewis the 16th greatest light heavyweight of all-time. He reportedly started boxing at the age of 5.

At the age of 18, Lewis defeated future Cinderella Man James Braddock. (He was played by Troy Amos-Ross in the movie.) Lewis attempted to become the first Light Heavyweight champion in boxing history to go up in weight and conquer the World Heavyweight championship, but lost to Louis by KO in the first round. It was the only KO of his career.

Shortly thereafter he failed a physical before a fight due to
blindness in his left eye and impaired vision in his right, retiring at 26. Reportedly he was going blind during the Louis fight, and Louis, a friend, gave him the fight so he could collect a large payday.

not the best footage.

January 26, 2002

Vernon Forrest W 12 Sugar Shane Mosley, NYC. Wins World Welterweight Title. Referee: Steve Smoger | Judge: Tom Kaczmarek 115-110 | Judge: Melvina Lathan 117-108 | Judge: Julie Lederman 118-108.

On January 26, 2002 at The Theater at New York’s Madison Square Garden, welterweight champion Shane Mosley defended his WBC title against Vernon Forrest. Shane was 38-0 going in. Forrest 33-0. Forrest had eliminated Mosley in the 1992 U.S. Olympic boxing team trials.

Mosley was knocked down twice in the second round as he went on to lose a unanimous decision, his first loss in professional career. In round 2, Mosley suffered a cut from an accidental clash of heads.

Prior to the rematch, Mosley, contended the head butt left him dazed and allowed Forrest, an 8-to-1 underdog, to claim the upset. "I know in my heart why I lost and I'll show the world why it happened," Mosley said. "He [Forrest] is a good fighter. But I believe I'm a super champion. "And I know true champions rise to the occasion."

The rematch didn’t work out to well for Shane either.

check out the brutal body shot at 39:03- Shane screams…

January 27

1992: Humberto (Chiquita) Gonzalez UD12 Domingo Sosa, Inglewood. Retains WBC junior-flyweight title. This fight was marred by repeated low blows by Gonzalez, who was deducted 4 points!

Gonzalez said the low blows were Sosa's fault. "He kept leaning on my neck, pulling me down," the champion said. "I couldn't help from hitting him there. They weren't on purpose."

Gonzalez said he fought the final six rounds with a badly injured left hand, the same hand that was broken during his last fight on June 3, when he regained the title he had lost late in 1990. "If my hand didn't hurt, I would have knocked him out," Gonzalez said.

Chuiquita was inducted into the HOF in 2006 and was listed by Ring as one of their 100 greatest punchers. Ironically, 2 of 3 his three losses were fights of the year: 1993 Carbajal 1, and 1995 Sorjaturong. He was stopped in both fights.

January 28

1949: Kid Gavilan MD 10 Ike Williams. When testifying before Congress about antitrust issues in boxing, Williams recalled he was offered $100,000 to throw the fight. Ike Williams did not take the money, an action he regretted because he lost the fight even though subsequent news stories that cover the fight believed he had won. This made Williams conclude that the judges may have also been influenced in this fight to vote for his opponent in the case of a points decision.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/kid-gavil-n-36307.html

1974: Muhammad Ali W 12 (Smokin’) Joe Frazier, NYC At the end of round two, Frazierwas staggered by an Ali right hand. Referee Tony Perez stepped in between the two fighters having mistakenly thought he heard the bell. The interruption allowed Frazier precious seconds to recover and he was able to finish the round on his feet when the action resumed.

1978: Alexis Arguello KO 13 Alfredo Escalera, The Bloody Battle of Bayamon

You keep forgeting the great cuban fist fighters... Kid Gavilan also born on Jan, 6th.

It's interesting how much stance and positioning has changed over the decades:

200px-KidGavilan.jpg

see above, Jan 28

January 29, 1994.

Frankie Randall W 12 Julio Cesar Chavez, Las Vegas. Wins WBC super-lightweight title. Chavez’ first defeat in 91 fights.

Chaves was an incredible record was 89-0-1 going into the fight. Randle was 48-2-1. Vegas had Randle as an 18-1 underdog. Randall built an early lead on the cards, but typical for the slow starter, Chavez rallied. The fight was close, but Chavez was deducted two points by Richard Steel for low blows. In the 11th, Chavez hit the canvas for the first time in his storied career. When the fight went to the cards, Randall was named WBC light welterweight championship by split decision. Chavez disputed the decision and demanded a rematch. Chávez blamed Steel for the loss.

Randall used his jab and counters to keep Chavez off balance. Chavez landed with fierce combos and excellent body work. This card also featured Felix Trinidad defending his IBF welterweight title against Hector Camacho and Simon Brown defending his WBC super welterweight title against Troy Waters.

The WBC ordered a rematch and Chávez regained the title on a split technical decision in May 1994 when the fight went to the cards early due to a cut from an accidental headbutt. Ten years later, Chavez won the rubber match.

doing some business traveling, so turning in my assignments for the 30-31 early

January 30

1982: Wilfred Benitez W 15 Roberto Duran, Las Vegas. Retains WBC super-welterweight title.

The fighters had a combined record of 117-3-1 coming into the fight. Benitez not only kept Duran off balance with straight right-hand leads but scored effectively with aggressive left jabs and combinations. At one point in the 15th round, Benitez leaned against the ropes, challenged Duran and then twice winked to the Caesars Palace crowd of 4,500.

Duran, entered the ring behind a sign that said ''The Legend Is Back.''

On the under card, Michael Dokes KO 1 Lynn Ball, Edwin Rosario, ko 3 Ezzard Charles, and Mark Holmes of Easton, Pa., the younger brother of Larry Holmes, UD Ted Sanders. Sanders’ records fell to 8-14-4. of Los Angeles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back