• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Thinking of starting a grappling based martial art?

Mr_Hodge

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I box with my brother and spar muay thai with friends but i'd like to start either Judo or BJJ at university, which one would you recommend (or any others) for somebody whose only grappling experience is vs friends in grappling only fights for fun ahah

I box with my brother and spar muay thai with friends but i'd like to start either Judo or BJJ at university, which one would you recommend (or any others) for somebody whose only grappling experience is vs friends in grappling only fights for fun ahah
If youre about striking like boxing and muay thai I'd say bjj, if you do no gi. That way you wont have to purchase a gi and its easier to utilize clinch techniques.
If you want a fun experience and try something new I would almost say do both. The skills are transferable and you can see which club you like most.

If youre about striking like boxing and muay thai I'd say bjj, if you do no gi. That way you wont have to purchase a gi and its easier to utilize clinch techniques.
If you want a fun experience and try something new I would almost say do both. The skills are transferable and you can see which club you like most.
Ah ok thanks dude, might try both as my course is not very exhaustive, so i'll have loads of free time

Ah ok thanks dude, might try both as my course is not very exhaustive, so i'll have loads of free time
Do both then, to broaden your horizon and have fun.
You can meet up 10 minutes before training and ask who the instructor is and introduce yourself. Just tell him youre a striking guy, and looking to get the basics of grappling. You probably wont be the first guy like that he has had.

Do both then, to broaden your horizon and have fun.
You can meet up 10 minutes before training and ask who the instructor is and introduce yourself. Just tell him youre a striking guy, and looking to get the basics of grappling. You probably wont be the first guy like that he has had.
Ok cool, thanks dude

Do Judo. You can find BJJ anywhere these days but it’s increasingly hard to find a good Judo club. Plus, it’s much easier to go from Judo to BJJ than the other way around. Plus, Judo throws work excellently from a Thai clinch.

Kamikaze Judo. The guy already does a lot of Ne Waza and why train outside your preferred skill set of standing and go to an art that all they want to do is stay on the ground?

Back