Thinking about switching from Nogi To Gi class

workinghard72

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've recently been thinking about changing from nogi to a gi class. according to my instructors I've really progressed a lot and it shows at training. In a class of 6-8 guys I quickly submit everyone with the exception of the trainer and one guy who's been there eight years. My thought is if I'm progressing this well I would like to get belts to have some sense of accomplishment. I know belts do mean a lot to some and I'm not the kind of guy that would brag about belt color. Is this whole changing schools and wanting a belt thing silly? I like my school and my instructors are awesome. My only complaint is the challenge is getting limited. I even find myself leaving the other guys some space to get a chance submit me. I think that's counter productive.

Just do it then tbh. I prefer it over no-gi. Why cant you just do both?

I would do it personally, but not for the belt, but because it sounds like you need a better gym. Gi gyms tend to have better guys IME. You might be surprised at your actual level.

I find no-gi to be pretty boring TBH. Gi is was more fun.

If you're having it so easy you should just switch for the challenge. It will also just add new skills to be learned. You may even like it more. I prefer gi just for the extra control that you can get and all the chokes you can't do in no gi.

Why not do both?

My club is a no-gi club but I like to compete in gi divisions when I get the chance.

I've recently been thinking about changing from nogi to a gi class. according to my instructors I've really progressed a lot and it shows at training. In a class of 6-8 guys I quickly submit everyone with the exception of the trainer and one guy who's been there eight years. My thought is if I'm progressing this well I would like to get belts to have some sense of accomplishment. I know belts do mean a lot to some and I'm not the kind of guy that would brag about belt color. Is this whole changing schools and wanting a belt thing silly? I like my school and my instructors are awesome. My only complaint is the challenge is getting limited. I even find myself leaving the other guys some space to get a chance submit me. I think that's counter productive.

submitting others is not always the best way to judge your skill level especially if its 6-8 guys. you could be way bigger/stronger than the others etc. that being said if your thinking of switching do it. in general i find most pure no gi guys are way less technical. gi is just so much more complex and fun. and i really believe it helps the no gi game alot too. and you could always do both. you might not like the grips at first though.

no gi is way funner for me, but seems like you need to change gyms instead more than anything... if you are a good no gi guy, not relying too much on strength and explosiveness , then the switch shouldnt be all that hard, if hard at all...

If you need belts for a sense of accomplishment... I would suggest.... Taekwondo. At the local YWCA. I bet you can get your camo belt pretty quick.

If you want to move gyms for the training, that's legit.

100% do it. It certainly cant hurt, you can always switch back.

I did no-gi for almost 8 years before putting on a gi, and its the most fun I've had grappling. It really is a lot of fun, and the belts are cool. Just a nice reward for all the hard work.

If you need belts for a sense of accomplishment... I would suggest.... Taekwondo. At the local YWCA. I bet you can get your camo belt pretty quick.

If you want to move gyms for the training, that's legit.

Is it any different than getting a piece of cheap metal with fake gold plating as an award?

We're all human. A nice visual award that one day we can hang on the wall is something we all enjoy; Whether its a belt, a medal or trophy.

And not everyone is itching to enter the Bloody Deathlust MMA event at the local bar with a high ceiling.

Is this whole changing schools and wanting a belt thing silly? I like my school and my instructors are awesome.

Yes...if it's just for the belts then it's very silly and mainly related to satiating ego.

Go win some big tournaments. You can challenge yourself in no-gi all the way to ADCC. Until then, you can't really say the challenge is limited in no-gi.

If you just need better training partners and there is no better no-gi gym in town, then that is a different story.

Tournaments offer shiny medals as rewards, and that is a GREAT thing. The belts offer the chance of a great reward each day...if its your day to get promoted. I was purely no-gi for 8 years, and then put on a gi. It was very rewarding. Now, I do both, and enter tournaments still, as well as look forward to the days when our coaches pull out the glorious white tape and hand out some stripes, or even better, they bring in some new belts before class, and we all know someone is getting a promotion at the end.

Jiujitsu is a personal journey, and if you like the idea of a belt to go along with the medals, go for it. Other people's opinions don't matter...it only matters if YOU enjoy it. Plus, if you are already submitting everyone in the class fairly easily...you probably need a more competitive gym. I say go check it out. You can always go back.

Is it any different than getting a piece of cheap metal with fake gold plating as an award?

We're all human. A nice visual award that one day we can hang on the wall is something we all enjoy; Whether its a belt, a medal or trophy.

And not everyone is itching to enter the Bloody Deathlust MMA event at the local bar with a high ceiling.

The difference is that tournament wins are objective and based on merit.

Belts are subjective and many instructors will give it to you eventually if you just show up and pay enough dues...even if you are mediocre. I wish it weren't true. But, it is.

The difference is that tournament wins are objective and based on merit.

Belts are subjective and many instructors will give it to you eventually if you just show up and pay enough dues...even if you are mediocre. I wish it weren't true. But, it is.

They are, but the existence of tournament medals doesn't invalidate or shame the positive things regarding belt promotion. You're right, some schools pull that crap about sympathy promotions haha. But so what? If that instructor promotes a guy to blue belt who is awful, his guy will lose, and his credibility is hurt.

Its kinda like the military ranks/medals:
Medals are like the colored ribbons/medals soldiers wear in uniforms, for performance in the field.
Belts are like the stripes on their sleeves; Given to them by their peers for the totality of their work in the military.

They are both very different in meaning and how they are obtained; But both are valid and honorable pursuits, no?

Not to mention that some medals aren't valid and worth merit.

You enter a division with only 2 other people, and lose 2 matches, and get a 3rd place medal. I know of instructors who display quite a few of those type of medals; Or they enter a masters or director's division where they are the ONLY person who entered, and they get the complimentary gold medal........for showing up, registering, walking to the mat, and walking away with a medal....and never so much as even shook hands, much less rolled.

So, before we say medals are so much more prestigious than belts...be wary of the medals sometimes.

Back