Thinking about starting Judo...

rms13

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have a little BJJ/no gi experience as well as muay thai, kenpo and aikido over the years. I have not been training any martial arts for about a year and I am looking to get back into something mainly for fitness and for fun as I can only really train once or maybe twice a week with my current schedule. I have never considered judo but I found a dojo that is $30/month where as the cheapest bjj/mt/mma options around LA are $100/month ranging up to $300/month so Judo all of the sudden seems like an interesting option.

From people with Judo experience and experience with other arts, how do you think the transition would be? And how much of a work out is a Judo training in general compared to BJJ, MT or MMA where I generally leave class with my clothes soaked through with sweat?

Pretty much only your BJJ experience will translate, and that's only for the groundwork part. Judo has a steep learning curve.

It is also a hard workout but different from BJJ. You need a higher cardio and high intensity endurance, while BJJ is more about muscular endurance.

You'd be well advised to take it easy when you are a beginner. That is when you have the highest chance of getting an injury.

At my Judo class I leave soaked in sweat.
Depending on the sessions they can be very grueling, groundwork especially is as you tend to bridge like crazy to get out wheras in bjj you might try and submit uki on your back. Its great fun.

You'll learn a lot about throws and takedowns that aren't the classic wrestling type stuff which can be good to catch people off guard.

Do it :D It's great fun but be aware that for the first while it might seem a bit crap while you learn the basics, there's a lot of mechanics in the throws to learn and while you might know what to do it takes time to put it all together, kinda like a golf swing.

Once you get the basic mechanics right you can train the throws alone with a belt tied round a pole or hooked to the wall and then you're learning and improving even when not at the gym.

I'm biased but I've been doing Judo since I was 7 and it's something I really love and have met some great people over the years. Plus if you ever get in a fight in real life you can end them pretty quickly by dumping folk onto concrete :)

SOME of your training will cross over - from BJJ (mainly) and Aikido. Depends on how much of it you did, really and how fit you are.

Also depends on what sort of judo club it is.

Only one way to find out.....

Thanks guys. Yes only one way to find out. The price is dirt cheap for martial arts in LA and no comittment so I really have nothing to lose.

Thanks guys. Yes only one way to find out. The price is dirt cheap for martial arts in LA and no comittment so I really have nothing to lose.

You're talking about Hollywood judo right? Let me know how it is. For 30 a month I have been considering it also

You'll have a lot of fun. BJJ should will help you on the ground, and although I'm no expert on Aikido, I'd imagine it'll help you with not killing yourself falling. Enjoy!

Judo is excellent. If you decide to try it, you'll spend a lot of time learning how to fall properly. That's very important particularly for adults as we're more prone to injuries. Plus, some judo places have very solid ground training. It depends on the teacher of course, but you'd be learning at least some solid basics that would translate well should you pick up BJJ again down the line.

For that price, I say go for it. Despite the rule changes, I think judo remains a well-respected art that you can build upon later if you want to.

I should mention that LA probably has the highest density of Judo clubs in the country. It's a good place to learn Judo.

Yes and i will

Word. I might see you there. We are totally on the same page as far as knowing how much MMA gyms cost in LA. Your only cheap martial arts options are boxing or judo. That place looks super legit so ill probably see you down there in a week or so

Word. I might see you there. We are totally on the same page as far as knowing how much MMA gyms cost in LA. Your only cheap martial arts options are boxing or judo. That place looks super legit so ill probably see you down there in a week or so

Sounds good. I am going to check it out tomorrow so Ill report back

i train at hollywood judo and its great. they just got new mats too and they have a small strength and conditioning area too. showers as well.

great workout as well.

Back