Thinking about going back to school

Ok now that I've gotten my whining out of the way, it's back to work....

@HunterSdVa29
@Brampton_Boy

I do have a question for you, or anyone else that might know.

So here's the list of lower division classes I need to take before I can transfer in to the Cal State U as a junior:

ACCT 220 intro to financial reporting and accounting
ACCT 221 intro to managerial accounting
ECON 201 Essentials of Microeconomics
ECON 202 Essentials of Macroeconomics
ECON 220 Quantitative Tools for Econ

The counselor recommended that I take them at a community college. I'm wondering if I can get them done faster if I can do them online. She said she didn't think these are available online. I'm not sure if she was telling the truth or she was just too lazy to help me find one. So basically now I need to find an online school that offers these classes, and it has to be a school where these classes would actually be accepted at CSU.

Any ideas?

Most schools do offer those courses (or similar variations), but the important thing is making sure that those credits are recognized by Cal State.

I would actually recommend that you try and make an appointment with the undergraduate advisor/secretary for the department you will be transferring to (I'm assuming econ/business based on your course selection). That isn't to say that the counselor is giving you bad info, but departmental advisors know the ins and outs of the program and eliminate any guess work regarding what is expected of incoming/current students.

But going back to your first question, I would be genuinely shocked if those courses aren't available online - almost all non elective courses are.

Brampton Boy nailed it on the head. I looked them up swiftly, and found similar courses in most major CC systems....i.e. she told you to take them in person, and most of the largers schools will likely have most if not all of those online as well.

What he said about speaking specifically to an adviser for that program is on pt.

Do it!!! Or just post about wanting to do it on sherdog.

It’s always bugged me that I never finished my degree. Back when I was 18 I started pursuing an English degree, got 2 years in, and once I learned how stupid of a degree it was, I just quit college altogether because I didn’t know what I wanted to do. Now I’m at a point where if I want to be promoted any further at my company, I’d need at least a bachelor’s in business if not an MBA.

The problem is I work a crap ton of hours (as I said before, trying to get a promotion) and I have small children at home, so time is limited. I need to get my degree as efficiently as possible.

I’ve considered online schools, but I’m a little concerned about their reputation. I mean if you had to choose between two job applicants, would you choose the one that went to a state university, or the one who got a degree from the university of phoenix?

I also have the impression that because online schools have a reputation of being too easy, that they’re starting to make their classes harder in order to fight that reputation. Like since you don’t get to attend actual lectures, they make up for it by assigning twice as much homework. So you end up getting a degree that everyone thinks was easy, when it was actually harder than a traditional school.

I also know that I can challenge some courses. I don’t know if they have this at every school, but basically it means that if you don’t want to take say, history 101, you could just go take a history test and if you pass, you get credit for that class even though you never attended. Would be awesome if I could get like 75% of my degree just by challenging classes. Although I’m sure they probably have limits on that kind of thing.

Anyhoo, all advice/shared experience is welcome.

Does your company have tuition reimbursement? If you're doing online college, CHOOSE YOUR COLLEGE WISELY. Make sure they're accredited or look at the dept. of education and look up online colleges.

Do it. I take courses from Oregon State online and don't have any regrets from it. It's not like your degree is going to say online school on it. Just stay away from the for profit online schools like university of phoenix.

Brampton Boy nailed it on the head. I looked them up swiftly, and found similar courses in most major CC systems....i.e. she told you to take them in person, and most of the largers schools will likely have most if not all of those online as well.

What he said about speaking specifically to an adviser for that program is on pt.

I've been researching schools and so far I like what I'm hearing about Western Governor's University.

Do these credentials look legit?

http://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/accreditation

I've been researching schools and so far I like what I'm hearing about Western Governor's University.

Do these credentials look legit?

http://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/accreditation
Yes, yes they do. That's the ideal overall accreditation you want (regional, not national), and then it appears to have some relevant specialized credentials for certain fields (NCATE for education, for exmaple).

Yes, yes they do. That's the ideal overall accreditation you want (regional, not national), and then it appears to have some relevant specialized credentials for certain fields (NCATE for education, for exmaple).

Thanks for the confirmation.

Just to update, I've applied to Western Governors University and filled out a FAFSA. WGU is going to accept 36 credits from my junior college, and then I'll have to complete another 85 credits to get my bachelor's degree.

85 credits seemed like a lot considering I already did 2 years of college, but I'm not mad about it because they're not making me repeat any requirements at all. I went from being an English major when I was young, to a business major now, so I know I have to take some basic stuff that I avoided when I was younger, like economics, accounting, etc.

I'm super stoked to get started. Thanks for all the help and encouragement from everyone in this thread.

That's great to hear my dude, good luck and hope you stick w/ it. get that promotion potential

A lot of the state universities offer online courses. Do that.

I started doing my MBA a few weeks ago, it's online but through a reputable university. Seems ok so far, hope i can stay up to date of course ha ha. Been 10 years since i finished my degree, fucking hard to get back into it.

Back