Thinking about getting my first dog

excellent_pembroke_welsh_corgi_puppies_for_sale_19230879.jpg

pembroke-welsh-corgi-pictures5.JPG

Monk_12inch_34lbs_10Months.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembroke_Welsh_Corgi

Small but not too much, very intelligent, energic and like to play but not a home destroyer, like stay out but like stay inside too

From your situation description seem a good choice

Last edited:
Get one that is doomsday ready

^bro that little doggy aint gonna be able to protect you

I have a similar situation to you and it's honestly unfair to have a big dog even if you plan on being active with them. My Gf and I settled with a Maltese x Terrier and tbh, he's the greatest thing ever! He has a lot of personality, runs when I take him for walks, is content being with us or on his own, has low upkeep and is affectionate as all hell but is still protective around people he doesn't know.

As far as behaviour goes, that's something you determine. My dog is so well behaved because I trained him like I was training a guard dog - everyone always comments how well behaved and nice mannered he is. He doesn't malt either which is a big bonus for house cleaning and he doesn't have horse sized shit.

Highly recommend a smaller dog even though its deemed less manly. Let us know what you end up deciding man and good luck.

My gf's sister lives in a condo and has a Boston Terrier. Seems to do well there.

thanks all... I'm not rushing into any decision and will do more research. I doubt I will
actually do anything until summer.

Avoid both Spitz(your main picks) and Terriers if you don't have room or time to exercise properly! Look into any Bulldogs or a few Mastiff breeds if you want cool but low energy manly apartment dogs

You have a small townhouse with a small back yard and you have an alergy to dogs. You want to get a husky, an akita or a collie. Are you for real?

The size of your house/backyard don

Get a legit german shepherd straight outta Germany. Those dogs are 100 times better than anything here in the US.

I got mine from the SPCA 8 years ago, she is now 12. She is a Norwegian Elk hound mix and sheds like a bitch, but started shaving her down every month or so. Vet is amazed at how big, old she is from the SPCA she has never had a health problem

I got mine from the SPCA 8 years ago, she is now 12. She is a Norwegian Elk hound mix and sheds like a bitch, but started shaving her down every month or so. Vet is amazed at how big, old she is from the SPCA she has never had a health problem

Hey man check out your walmart and see if they have these treats called "Healthy Treats For Dogs - Skin & Coat" because I use them and they have helped tremendesly. Only one of my walmarts has them though. They are made my walmart and only $2.50 for a pack with like 30 pieces? It says to give one per every 10lbs or something but I only give mine 2 a day.

I've never owned a dog...yet.

But all those breeds you listed on your short list are ones I've seen discouraged for first time dog owners.

When I get the chance to get one, I may just go with the solid Golden Retriever, I like the size, it seems like a happy dog, its a very pretty dog and I bet its a great pall.

1.jpg

But if you just want to jump right in to some of those other breeds, ever checked out the Bernese Mountain Dog?
8151-004-9E99DB7E.jpg

Owning a dog is a huge responsibility if you are not accustomed to it. Puppies take a lot of work and training. Dogs are awesome, I live in an apartment and own two small dogs. They take a lot of patients as puppies.

You mentioned you have a mild allergies to dogs, this can become a problem. Picking a breed with long hair (Shepard and Huskies) can lead to a lot of pet dander. The dander is what causes most people to have their allergies go crazy.

Your best option is to go with a Labor Doodle. They are great dogs and have great tempers. I know a few people who own these dogs. They get medium to large in size. But they do not have pet dander. Their hair is exactly like human hair, not your typical dog hair. These breeds are very smart, friendly and average when it comes to hyper/energy.

Grooming is a must for these dogs. My dogs are short haired Jack Russel Terriers, but I have them saved to keep down the shedding and smell. They are inside dogs so I HAVE to keep them clean.

Your carpet will be ruined until the dog learns to use the restroom outside. Larger dogs are easier to train to use the outside grass area instead of your carpet. Hope this quick reply is useful for you.

Just remember puppies take a lot of work, so don't get frustrated when they consistently cry. Create training a dog is the best thing to do. It helps when you are leaving your home for a few hours.

Information on pet dander:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dander

Pictures of Labor Doodles:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lab...rkiwKgsYCQAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1004&bih=603

How are you at handling death? If not good at it, don't get a dog. They're the most loyal creature's ever, always by your side no matter what. If i leave the apartment to take the trash to the garbage shoot, literally 10 seconds I'm gone. i come back and they act like i've been gone for a year, they're so excited to see me again.

When they die, it's literally like getting your heart ripped out. Well for me it is. I had a dog when i was a teen, said I'd never get another one.

Now i have two little half Pomeranian, half Chihuahua brothers. They're so awesome, yet i spend half the time sulking over the fact that someday they'll die cause they don't live forever. I've had them for a year now. I don't want to go through the period where the die. On the other hand, i think if i didn't own them, they could have ended up in a back yard on a short leash with no life and full of fleas and just a shitty life. So in the end, I'm glad i have them.

And you start doing weird shit, like going to the dog section of any grocery store or target, wal-mart etc... Seeing if there is anything cool you can get them, even though you've been there before and know there is nothing extraordinary. But you just have to check again to be sure. You have second thoughts about what to make for dinner, you start thinking.... hmmm, if i make spicy food tonight, i can't share it with my dogs. i guess i'll make steak instead, LOL! Well at least that's what i do now.

Last edited:
Back