Things that are considered bad habiits that you do anyway...

flyingknee16

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Whenever I'm rolling at jiu jitsu (no gi), I tend to "relax" when my opponent mounts me or I give up my back. The reason for this is that I feel that mount is a very limited position if the guy on the bottom knows how to defend the submissions that the guy on top is most likely going to do (armbar, head and arm, keylock...) Then I give up my back as well because I know that most guys won't be able to submit me with a rear naked and then I just spin back into their guard. I know that in MMA being mounted or rear mounted is way more dangerous, but does anyone else do this? Just bad habits that you do anyway because you can ;)

i give up the mount to someone who has sidecontrol on me waaaay to easily... as a matter of fact, due to my knee injury it's easier for me to escape the mount than the side mount....

In grappling nowadays you see a lot of things that would be a no-no if ther were striking allowed: half-guard and open guard game etc.

i sometimes spend too much time in the turtle trying to set up a sweep instead of getting back to my guard fast. in bjj, no problem, but im mma turtle isnt somewhere you want to stay for too long.

blanko said:
i give up the mount to someone who has sidecontrol on me waaaay to easily... as a matter of fact, due to my knee injury it's easier for me to escape the mount than the side mount....

Same, it is from me waiting for my opponent to move. I wait to use counters & they not always work. E.g. I'll happily let my arm be taken from mount to attempt a spin away escape. I'm just lazy.,

waiting way too long while my opponent trys something, letting him get way too deep on it, kind of fun to try and extract yourself from the situation, but a BAD habit none the less

After watching Nak using the turtle to escape the mount makes me think turtling can be effective if you have good sub defence.

instead of pushing in, I just pull out of armbars a lot (full on armbars, from the guard). I'm not really strong or anything but I turn my wrist so my arm is less lockable, pull a little/push a little, wait for my opponent to adjust his grip and then rip it out....

Note: I do no gi, and I don't do this unless my opponent or I have at least a little sweat going.

blanko said:
I leave it open from side to mount. When a guy moves to mount his weights shifts and he is weak for a bit of time... When i feel he is moving for the mount i roll and semi cradle him and now im in side mount. Works wonders.

Where do I begin?

Most glaring bad habits:
Leaning foward in someone's guard.
Giving up the back and trying to do Sakuraba shit and I'm not Sakuraba.
Leaving my arms flailing about for my opponent to get armbars and kimuras and the such.
Not stretching before class.
Underestimating just about everyone I roll against.

Just the tip of the iceberg...

One bad habbit I have is adjusting the triangle by pulling on my foot to close it properly. Ppl keep telling me I could break my ankle and should grab my shin instead but im so used to grabbing my foot :(

flyingknee16 said:
Whenever I'm rolling at jiu jitsu (no gi), I tend to "relax" when my opponent mounts me or I give up my back. The reason for this is that I feel that mount is a very limited position if the guy on the bottom knows how to defend the submissions that the guy on top is most likely going to do (armbar, head and arm, keylock...) Then I give up my back as well because I know that most guys won't be able to submit me with a rear naked and then I just spin back into their guard. I know that in MMA being mounted or rear mounted is way more dangerous, but does anyone else do this? Just bad habits that you do anyway because you can ;)

I do this too, but I've noticed that people who don't relax are ten times harder to mount in the first place.

By relaxing you let your opponent get exactly the position he wants. If I take the mount on somebody, and they let me establish my position like that I will be almost impossible to dislodge. During the process of taking the mount, refining it and finally establishing a safe offensive position you are much more vulnerable to various escapes or reversals.

So now I'm working on a compromise, I try to escape franticaly untill (if I fail) they have established a solid position, then I slow down and start thinking about countering attacks and work for a slower, more subtle, escape.

Giving up your back isn't as bad of a habit as it might seem.

Getting your back taken obviously is not a good idea. However, turtling isn't always bad. Probably the easiest time to turtle is when someone has nearly passed your guard. It is easier to escape from the turtle than side control. It also prevents your opponent from scoring in a competition match.

So as long as you are giving your back intelligently, I don't think it is a bad habit.

telles fights from the turtle... crazy styles... It's a trend that disturbs me though... IT takes slowly takes grappling away from "reality combat". I mean giving up your back used to be the worst thing you could do in bjj....

blanko said:
telles fights from the turtle... crazy styles... It's a trend that disturbs me though... IT takes slowly takes grappling away from "reality combat". I mean giving up your back used to be the worst thing you could do in bjj....

Offensive turtling is pretty silly when striking is allowed. However, defensive turtling does make a lot of sense for reality combat.

Turtling to prevent being pinned in side control or full mount makes sense. Your head is somewhat protected in the turtle whereas it is vulnerable to strikes from the mount or side control. It is also easier to get back to your feet from the turtle than it is from a pinned position. If your opponent stands and kicks at you when you turtle, you will have an opportunity to stand as well or attack his legs for a takedown.

If I am going to eat strikes from the bottom, I'd rather be turtled than exposed in the mount.

well you are talking about MMA where attacks to the "center line" are illegal. When you turtle you expoe your vertebrae, and that's a serious "no no". I would rather be mounted where i have a chance to uppa and get hit in my face (i can also cover my face with my arms) than take attacks to my spine neck.

blanko said:
well you are talking about MMA where attacks to the "center line" are illegal. When you turtle you expoe your vertebrae, and that's a serious "no no". I would rather be mounted where i have a chance to uppa and get hit in my face (i can also cover my face with my arms) than take attacks to my spine neck.

yeah dude, getting hit in the spine is so bad for you.

Back