Things people think they want but don't really.

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've seen people who buy things they think they want only to find out that they won't use them. To me, they don't really think things through before making these purchases.

A boat is the one I see most often. People go to a boat show and decide they should get one. One couple I know bought a 16 foot ski boat with a 115 hp outboard. The first year, they put 15 hours on it. The second year they put 4 hours on it. The third year only an hour then it sat in a garage unused for 4 years. Then they decided that they would use a boat more if they could stay on it overnight so they bought a cabin cruiser with an inboard motor. It was too large for them to haul and they had to rent dock space in the summer and store it in the winter. They used it for two years then had it brought home to sit in their yard on blocks for 2 years.

I see many of my neighbors get boats and they have them out on weekends the first summer, less the second summer and they sit in their yards with a cover over them for a couple of years before they bring them out front and put a for sale sign on them. One guy I know bought a new boat and the last time I talked to him, it has never been in the water in the 15 years he has owned it.

A camper or motor home is another seldom used item that people like to buy. They have dreams of traveling but find out how much it costs and it isn't really a vacation. I like driving a car which is much easier to get around in. I stay at hotels where I can get a shower, get up in the morning, leave the mess behind, grab some breakfast and hit the road.

Vacation property is another questionable purchase. Now you have two homes to take care of and all of your vacations are at the same location.

Hot tubs were popular for a while and another seldom used item once the novelty wore off.

A long time favorite money waste that gets little use is a swimming pool. At least the above ground options are fairly cheap and can be used by children who are the major users and not as difficult to remove.

Gym memberships are another thing that many seldom use.

What things do you find that people buy but seldom use.

Motorcycle. People get too hot, people get too cold. Bugs, road grit, rain. What the hell did these people expect?

I agree with boats, too.

Massage chairs. Most people I know who get them barely use them.

I use my gym membership all the time though. If I could I'd just buy a squat rack and work out at home all the time but I don't have the space.

I see people with home exercise equipment that turn into clothes hangers all the time.

There's plenty of expensive electronic devices that don't get used too.

I've used my row machine like 4 times since I got it a few months ago

A big house
I wouldn't have though of this, but it's very true. I used to do some security/self defense things on the side, and I can't tell you how many huge houses I went to where half the rooms contained no furniture. Not extra bedroooms, but living rooms, dining even dens. House poor, I guess.

I also bought a cool hand-crafted slingshot from Laos so I can use it to hunt pigeons but I haven't used it at all.

Fame and celebrity. People have tunnel vision on the positive aspects. What they forget is that celebrities get stalked everywhere by paparazzi, accosted constantly by fans asking for pictures and autographs, photographed everywhere they go. If they want to visit a popular venue e.g. Disney World they need to hire bodyguards and prepare exhaustively with the venue in advance. Once you're famous, nothing you ever do is anonymous or carefree any more. Fuck that, make money but forget the fame.

I use my exercise bike a couple hours per week. I feel special.

Boats are definitely the king of this category. What a pain in the ass thing to own. Just rent one.

USADA.

Vegetable slicer.

Hip flask.

100% agree on boats, pools, motorhomes, vacation homes, etc. The older I get, the more I realize I like being home and don't like maintenance.

Sherdog account

Home exercise equipment
I too have done this. Those cheap treadmills are terrible! Only the expensive big ones at gyms are good.

I have a home pull up bar & press up accessories I have never used.

Now I have an exercise bike I use for warm ups and a hex bar I really love. Use these two a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back