Things Bellator Does/Could Do To Distinguish Themselves from the UFC?

ufcfan1986

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm looking for both good and bad. Especially fun is the outside the box stuff like a men's straw weight or super heavyweight division.

How about put on fights like Kimbo/Dada 5000 and Shamrock/Gracie III? Isn't that distinguishing itself enough already?

Get broadcast on a channel that I now have to pay extra for (thanks Comcast) when I was just starting to get interested....

Get broadcast on a channel that I now have to pay extra for (thanks Comcast) when I was just starting to get interested....
Does anyone know how many viewers spike is losing because of the Comcast business?

Freak shows, fun..always entertaining..but they seem to be doing this already.
Tournaments
Hybrid events, it has been a flop in the past but I still think kickboxing / mma events could still work.
More co-promotion with external orgs
More old school style vs style type types

Basically what pride used to be...but they need to make sure they build stars, use those big freak show names to build up fights & rivalries with the other fights on the card, they need to be building exposure to the real talent on the roster because they are the one's that will deliver , be consistent and stick around. The UFC have that many stars on the roster it seems hard for people to get acquainted with regular fighters.

Gps and one night tournaments simple as that I think they should continue dynamite type shows but imagine a ww or lw gp Thompson Chandler bigger pitbull Ill will Benson guilard the caveman man big names and pure entertainment

i would say co-promotion because the old man division isnt really doing it for me

put on freakshow fights like Kimbo/Shamrock or Shamrock/Gracie

oh wait.....

Guys, one night tournaments do nothing to bring new fans in. Only people that it brings in is the same people most the shows bring in. Co-Promotion means very little also. Who is out there in another org outside of Fedor(who is a free agent) that casual MMA fan even knows or cares about on any level? Most the guys in WSOF that fans may know I don't think any casual fans care about those fighters anymore.

I don't think we should look at it as a separation from the UFC but more as being competitive on some level with the UFC. Quickest way to make Bellator "stand out" is signing named fighters from the UFC. It really is as simple as that on the surface. But business wise I'm not sure how much money they can spend on fighter purses for each event and still make money. That is really there main issue long term.

I was listening to the Boston Celtics radio broadcast last night playing against the Clippers. During halftime the announcer, who does Bellator now, said Mike Tyson might be a commentator this Friday.
"Boston Celtics Voice Sean Grande Replaces Bellator MMA ..." Actually it was the color commentary guy who leaked the info on air and then this Grande guy stopped him and said it wasn't official yet..

I realise it's a big draw for a lot of people but I can't take Bellator seriously while street thugs and geriatrics headline their cards.

They could run seasons of tournaments between relatively unknown but talented, hungry prospects.

Oh, wait...

Bring back the tournaments. They built their name on them, if they just run them correctly, they work.

Tournaments EXACTLY like they used to do!!

There is nothing that gets me more into a fight like being super familiar with a fighter, and seeing them fight once a month was PERFECT for that.

Awesome side effect...it's clear that the tournament winner is the most worthy at that time to fight for the belt!

My buddies and I mourned the loss of the Narrator tournaments pretty hard. Was my favorite thing about Bjorn to be honest.

Bring back the tournaments. They built their name on them, if they just run them correctly, they work.

You, me and @Redrum741 know what's up!

The tournaments were the main reason I watched Bellator all the time.

That and the old regular scheduling.

Tournaments didn't do much of anything for them in the ratings and they had years to make it work. They built a few guys from them but I think all those guys would've found success either way in Bellator.

Remember the biggest flaw in the old Bellator was tournament format to a fault. You can't sign guys of value and say go fight blow joe's in a tournament and have it make any business sense. What do you keep doing with guys that win tournaments and fall short for the title, or win title and now what have your ex champ go fight someone no one has ever heard in a tournament format.

Tournaments are great when you got named fighters in them. Otherwise its pretty hard to excited for a tournament of one or two kind of knowns and a bunch of nobodies.

Tournaments didn't do much of anything for them in the ratings and they had years to make it work. They built a few guys from them but I think all those guys would've found success either way in Bellator.

Remember the biggest flaw in the old Bellator was tournament format to a fault. You can't sign guys of value and say go fight blow joe's in a tournament and have it make any business sense. What do you keep doing with guys that win tournaments and fall short for the title, or win title and now what have your ex champ go fight someone no one has ever heard in a tournament format.

Tournaments are great when you got named fighters in them. Otherwise its pretty hard to excited for a tournament of one or two kind of knowns and a bunch of nobodies.

Wasn't that one of the reasons Rampage left.

Back