• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Thiago Alves is better than anyone conor or khabib has fought

Aldo, Holloway, Mendes, Poirier, RDA, Barboza, Alvarez, Diaz, Ragin Al > any version of Thiago Alves

Na, 2007-2009 Alves whoops all of them but Alves hasn't been a top WW in a long time.

Aldo, Holloway, Mendes, Poirier, RDA, Barboza, Alvarez, Diaz, Ragin Al > any version of Thiago Alves
A few of those guys are arguably not. Barboza, Al, Mendes and Diaz in particular.

At his peak, Alves beat a few really good/great fighters.

GSP will always have the advantage over Khabib and Conor because while all three are very close in size, GSP is the only one to be average size for his division. I'd definitely take Alves in his prime over Khabib or Conor at ww.

Gonna go ahead and put alves back at #2 after aldo. The only context that matters is who the fighter was at the time of their respective fights (otherwise clay guida has wins against Penn, rda, Pettis, Diaz etc so better start putting him in lw goat talks).

All time of course lots of these guys are better than alves, but Eddie (when Conor beat him) was coming off a pretty lackluster title run (loss, some split decisions, then finished rda weight cut for him).

I can definitely see a case for mendes but I'm not 100% on that. Worst case alves is the 3rd best win here gtfo with some of the names coming up here who are either overrated to begin with or the guys with better overall careers that obviously happened way before or after their fights with conor/khabib y'all reaching harder than stretch armstrong

I agree. Furthermore, these were all number1 contenders at the time.

In turn, this proves that gsps record isn't as stellar as his fans tell us. The guy decisioned the worst division in the sport above 145lbs. Fitch condit and sheilds were all great wins. The rest were average at best. 40 year old Hughes and LW bj Penn are not all world wins at ww.

Not now he is not. The guy peaked really high and is massively underrated. Before GSP he was on a tear and the #8 P4P in the world. But after GSP he had brain surgery and a shit load of knee injuries and he has never been the same since. USADA probably didn't help

People on here in general haven't been watching the sport very long. They hear Joe Rogan say "new breed" once and assume everyone in the top 10 at WW is better than guys like Alves, Koscheck, Fitch, Shields etc ever were.

Back