The Whole Roasted Chicken is economically the best meal

I smoke whole chickens on the Weber quite a bit. Throw some apple cider in the juice tray and make your gravy with that. It's awesome.

A whole roasted chicken is a phenomenal meal. I'm not a fan of the slow cook though. I'm not convinced the lower temps kill all bacteria.

I roasted one on my chargirll webber kettle recently

was fucking incredible and Im on the look for a Turkey to do the same way.

I like Turkey a bit more, but its much harder and more expensive to find here

Not only is the whole roasted chicken delicious and can feed the whole family but you can use the carcass to make a chicken stock. Leftover roasted chicken is great for sandwiches. There’s literally no waste with this meal.

This is my favorite way to cook it because I like the crispy skin…

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/roast-chicken-rules

For the stock it’s better if you use two carcasses for a deeper flavor but one is still good. Just throw the carcass in a big cooking pot, add onion cut in half, carrot cut 3time, and celery cut 3 times. Add salt and pepper and throw in whatever herbs you want/have. Cover everything with water (usually an inch above the highest level) and bring to a boil. Summer for 2-4 hours and strain out the liquid. You can drink it like it’s tea it’s so good.

I like it but the breast is too dry for me and I need a good sauce, any recommendations?

oh-i-member-randy-marsh.gif

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ostco-he-likes-the-5-dollar-chickens.2993431/

q9F7tme.jpeg

I like it but the breast is too dry for me and I need a good sauce, any recommendations?
Try the recipe I linked. They have a lot of tips. The recipe is from Chef Thomas Keller.

Using a 4-5 pound chicken:
- Don’t rinse the chicken off in the sink.
- Get it very dry inside and out
- only season with salt and pepper
- don’t stuff the bird with anything
- tie the drumsticks together and wrap the twine around to the front and tie it. Tuck the wings into the twine. (The gifs in the link show it better than I can explain it).
- Bake at 450 for 1hour.
- let rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.

I like gravy too but because it cooks at suck a high heat the fond (delicious bits that fall from the chicken to the pan) burns. I’m ashamed to admit I use Mckormick Packs that you add water to. But it’s good to me.

The roasted chicken at Costco which has been $4.99 for who knows how long is da real MVP

GettyImages-53078399-scaled-e1629381840326.jpg

The roasted chicken, the $1.50 hotdog plus drink combo, cheaper gas and free samples fully justify the annual Costco membership fee
I have annual memberships to Costco and Sam’s club

worth it in every way

economically inferior to buying chicken leg quarters because of the massive premium westerners pay for white meat.

can make fantastic stock with the rib cage/other bones from leg quarters as well, and you get to eat all dark meat for those with sophisticated palates.

furthermore, whole roasting neglects differences in optimal cook times for different parts of the chicken.

lastly, making chicken stock from cooked bones is inferior to making chicken stock from raw bones. rib cage in chicken leg quarters are extremely easy to separate raw. deboning drum/thigh takes a little more work if you want those raw, but i still do that for some dishes, particularly when i pan roast boneless leg quarters with a weight on top for beautifully crispy and flavorful skin.

for anyone who may attempt and butcher leg quarters for the first time, be sure not to miss the sot l'y laisse

Back