The week of a tournament: What is your routine?

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of things you guys do during the week of an event? Starting from that previous saturday to competition day. Are you resting? Putting more time? drilling specific things. What about the 24 hrs before and weigh in? What about the morning of? Any specific routines you do before arriving to the event? Just kinda wanna get a feel of what I should be doing to get in the routine of competing.

Saturday-Wednesday: Normal training. Maybe a little extra cardio until Monday.
Thursday/Friday: I don't do SHIT. No running, no training. Just relax, maybe walk with my dogs, but pretty much just let my body heal.
Weigh in then just a good, healthy, but big meal Friday night. Smoothie Saturday morning, walk around, lay around, whatever I feel like.

I don't like to try to get in the zone. I do that anyway, and if I try to focus I get nervous. So I talk, joke, walk around, etc. Just kill time.

Same as a normal week, just dont do any Thai on the 2 days before the tournament, and take the night before off from doing anything

Saturday-Wednesday: Normal training. Maybe a little extra cardio until Monday.
Thursday/Friday: I don't do SHIT. No running, no training. Just relax, maybe walk with my dogs, but pretty much just let my body heal.
Weigh in then just a good, healthy, but big meal Friday night. Smoothie Saturday morning, walk around, lay around, whatever I feel like.

I don't like to try to get in the zone. I do that anyway, and if I try to focus I get nervous. So I talk, joke, walk around, etc. Just kill time.

You're a black belt right? I think I'll follow your lead...

I think I've been going about it all wrong. I've been having to cut for the past couple of events and I think thats been throwing alot of things off for me. I'm working to get at a decent weight so i can get a better routine going. I would like it to be where i just do more conditioning on that wk, and relax the last few days instead of having to run a steam shower in a sweat suit for 30 mins and weighing in

I try to take it easy. I skip the sparring classes the week before or I'll go, but just work technique with some trusted friends.

You're a black belt right? I think I'll follow your lead...

Man, there are some guys that train hard until the day before and treat tournaments just like a hard day of class. Some take the week off and only swim. It really depends on your unique body, regardless of belt rank.

Practice to see what you like. Go through a couple different routines and treat Saturday noon class like it's a tournament, do lots of back to back hard rolls from the feet and see how you feel best.

I like to practice hard through Thursday. I roll hard, but stay safe. Quick taps, no crazy entanglements, etc.

I like practicing hard for cardio sake. I feel better prepared mentally on Saturday after pushing myself through the week.

Friday, I relax and weigh-in.

Saturday, I eat bananas and clif bars while warming up. I try and get to the facility as late as possible. No use waiting around for nothing.

I also joke around with teammates and stuff before my matches. Luckily I'm in the old man divisions as well as the regular ones. Therefore the 30+ always go first so I'm on the mat quick.

After my first match all the butterflies go away.

I was wondering if anyone gets this same feeling. I'm not nervous when I'm about to fight but ill be in the middle of a match and its like something just pops in my head and I'm like wf am I doing here? Its like I completly forget where I'm at and what I'm doing there. Am I nuts or do you guys get that too. Mind u I've done. A few tournaments already but now I'm competing as a blue belt.

Back