The UFC has done a great job of ruining champions by doing rematches

ThereIsNoSpoon

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Arlovski vs Sylvia

Arlovski got knocked out,immediate rematch,lost a boring decision where he showed no confidence and left the promotion soon after that.

Edgar vs Penn

Penn got dominated so badly in the rematch he never had any confidence anymore.Went from a LW GOAT to a has been in one fight.

T.J vs Barao

Barao looked tentative and even worse,he looked like his skills have regressed.Got destroyed again.

Cain vs JDS

A copy/paste of the third fight,JDS took a tremendous amount of damage and looked
nothing like his former self against Miocic.

Weidman vs Silva:

Silva was not ready for Weidman in any shape or form in the rematch,neither psychologically or physically and yet the UFC still booked the fight,Weidman dropped Silva then broke his leg essentially ending his career.

The pattern is very similar but the UFC continues to make decisions that make absolutely no sense,they have no patience,no thoughtfulness,no ability to plan on the long run.

It might be in a champion contract that they have the option of an immediate rematch. Also could be a way to keep them from going to another mma org.

The ufc should never give instant rematched but not shy away from rematches after a couple fights

So 194 will mark Cain's 7th fight since losing to JDS on fox. in that time he's bounced between the 1 and 2 spot in the rankings, and he's only fought 3 different fighters in 7 fights, or 4 years.

That's what I think is most frustrating. The WW division was starting to look like that until they booked Condit.

God I bet Hendricks is pulling out what little hair he has left after he read about THAT rematch. Instant Rematches need to be reserved for when the champion barely scrapes by a win. I mean barely scrapes by. A submission loss only makes it worse in my opinion.

I always get annoyed by immediate rematches.

Don't the stats show the results are most often the same?

By which I mean the same winner, not the same method.

recently marketed / promoted fighters should be promoted again soon thereafter as their name is fresh in peoples minds vs. another name that might not be as fresh

Rua vs Machida was a deserved rematch.

Even Cain vs JDS after a quick KO in the first fight - legit rematch.

Cain vs Werdum is not. Make Cain fight somebody he hasn't fought before. One win and he gets the next title shot.

agree.... please stop with the title insta-rematches

The Cain rematch is probably the worst in ufc history. There was no fluke to it. He beat Cain in all areas. Cain hadn't fought in years. And now after not fighting in years, them losing, he gets a title shot? It's stupid. They should let him fight his way back up. It would be more exciting. Instant rematches are pretty stupid.

Well, your angle is interesting.

However, I despise this matchup more for this reason:
The Cain rematch is probably the worst in ufc history. There was no fluke to it. He beat Cain in all areas. Cain hadn't fought in years. And now after not fighting in years, them losing, he gets a title shot? It's stupid. They should let him fight his way back up. It would be more exciting. Instant rematches are pretty stupid.

Instant rematches are bullshit, 80% of the time, the champion loses again.

There should be a rule, if the champ loses by KO/submission there is no immediate rematch. That would make things more serious.

it

Very good post from TS. Concise and accurate.

Soooo.....what you're saying is RIP Cain?

Yeah, since giving Cain the rematch vs JDS ended up being RIP Cain.

Cain is likely going to smash Werdum. That's the real reason people are sour about this rematch.

Rua vs Machida was a deserved rematch.

Even Cain vs JDS after a quick KO in the first fight - legit rematch.

Cain vs Werdum is not. Make Cain fight somebody he hasn't fought before. One win and he gets the next title shot.

JDS/Cain II was not an immediate rematch. JDS fought Mir and Cain fought BF in-between.

Back