The UFC has been partnered with FOX for 5+ years...why haven't they used Gus Johnson?

FootstompShonie

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm sure most of us remember this legend from his time commentating on EliteXC as well as Strikeforce, and he's been a longtime FOX sportscaster. With rumors of Goldie being booted, do you think it's finally time we see Gus Johnson back doing MMA?

PHOTO-Johnson-Gus-HS-727x727.dammresize.360.360.high.65.jpg

One his most epic calls includes proclaiming Petruzelli KOing Kimbo as ""the most incredible victory in the history of mixed martial arts":

As well as calling other legends' fights such as Fedor, Nick Diaz, and Gay Hard Mousasi.

He'll also be ready in case things get hectic in the cage as he experienced the Mayhem-Cesar Gracie brawl first hand and steadied the audience with the profound statement that "Sometimes these things happen in MMA.":

I'd add that he appeals to the international audience of MMA and can hawk Reebok gear as he's a soccer commentator/fan as well as a fullkit wanker.

AqyBcqSCAAAZhj2.jpg

All in all I think Gus is tailor made for a commentating spot with the UFC, although he has had some spats with Rogan in the past, and I wouldn't expect as good a makeup team as he had at Showtime/CBS this time around. That purple lipstick was clutch.

GUS.jpg

Probably because his current contract stipulates what programs he has to work on.

Sometimes these things just don't need to happen in MMA

My favorite first response in a long time.....kudos...if there was a way to like a comment more than once, youd have 15 for that gem right there.

I was so pissed when he said that. Made the whole sport look terrible....

I am starting to believe he is like an advanced prototype of Anik. He commentates in like 6 different sports and gets equally excited for each one. Is that authentic, or just the work of good programming?

My favorite first response in a long time.....kudos...if there was a way to like a comment more than once, youd have 15 for that gem right there.

I was so pissed when he said that. Made the whole sport look terrible....

Why get pissed? He was speaking the truth.

I am starting to believe he is like an advanced prototype of Anik. He commentates in like 6 different sports and gets equally excited for each one. Is that authentic, or just the work of good programming?
How could you think my guy Gus is anything but authentic?

I remember him talking up rogers the whole fight before fedor destroyed him.
That guy sucks.

Dana White hates Black people because he can't jump.

I'm seriously going to be sad if they get rid of Goldie in favor of Gus.

Back