Movies The Thing vs Scarface - Favourite 80s Remake?

Favourite 80s Remake

• The Thing

• Scarface

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Thing easily, that movie holds up well even to this day. The Thing wipes the floor with alot of current movies in terms of tension and FX.

Scarface isn't bad but as I've gotten older that movie is a chore to get through, it feels like it drags on as they are filling in the gaps of Tony's rise and fall. That being said I'll never get tired of the soundtrack, the scenery and the bonkers performance of Pacino especially in the final act.

The one with prime Michele Pfeiffer .

Also I never liked The Thing either time I tried to watch an have never understood the Cult like fascination with it.

The Thing is my all time favorite movie.

Reactions: HHJ
The Thing is more re-watchable for me and has given me more entertainment. WIth Scarface...I like the chase better than the catch. So the first half is better then the last half.

He wasn't doing an accent he was butchering it
It wasnt any kind of authentic accent at all but you can tell where he was goin with it.

Same in Carlitos way.

As a hispanic myself...

I dont cringe at it, it dont distract me....

Hes such a good actor that it winds up not mattering...but yeah, you can tell.

The Thing by lightyears.

Scarface was decent but I don't think it's great. It was a one and done for me. Didn't get the hype, there's some great quotes though I suppose

The thing thats better than Pacino's accent is Razor Ramon's slowed down more annoying on purpose version of it.

Scarface wouldn't even get made today....Imagine the left PC outrage....Pacino isn't Latino! He is doing a Cuban Accent! Either way, it was an overrated movie imo. The Thing on the other hand is a GOAT sci fi film. I watched the original recently and it was fun, but really bad in terms of SFX.
I would argue Scarface when it was made was actually pretty left wing though(written by Stone afterall), its basically a reaction against The Reaganite view of the Mariel Boatlifters as "go getters" who were leaving Cuba for a better life, instead we see some of them are hardened criminals and their "chasing the American dream" turns into a nightmare of excess and violence.

Back