The Thing end scene. What are your theories?

They both sit there and freeze to death

Doesnt really matter if one is the thing or not

This. The beauty of the ending to me is that the outcome considering the two surviving mains is irrelevant. They are freezing to death. The fact that neither pushes to commit suicide reinforced the idea of one if not both being the thing.
If anything though, I always thought Mac was the thing. Way too complacent at the end but this could've been despair setting in too. Again what a great ending to a movie

This. The beauty of the ending to me is that the outcome considering the two surviving mains is irrelevant. They are freezing to death. The fact that neither pushes to commit suicide reinforced the idea of one if not both being the thing.
If anything though, I always thought Mac was the thing. Way too complacent at the end but this could've been despair setting in too. Again what a great ending to a movie
i think Mac knew the inevitability of what was going to happen .... no need to panic/freak out imo

Interesting way to look at it. I don't think it would be in character to commit suicide though.

i think Mac knew the inevitability of what was going to happen .... no need to panic/freak out imo
But that outcome benefits the thing more than anyone. Why would act hostile at that point? It in a sense had already won. If it was still even alive
Interesting way to look at it. I don't think it would be in character to commit suicide though.

Yeah that's true but considering the fallout if the thing was one of them would probably outweigh someone's moral compass. The fact the both characters had thrown in the towel and complacent makes me think that at least 1 was the thing. Mac earlier had already excepted the idea of his inevitable death

But that outcome benefits the thing more than anyone. Why would act hostile at that point? It in a sense had already won. If it was still even alive

Yeah that's true but considering the fallout if the thing was one of them would probably outweigh someone's moral compass. The fact the both characters had thrown in the towel and complacent makes me think that at least 1 was the thing. Mac earlier had already excepted the idea of his inevitable death
I hadn't thought of it from the moral compass point of view, another excellent point.

I've always enjoyed the open ending and all the different points of view of how it can be one, both, or neither of them.

Was talking about this scene in another thread tonight and i remembered this thread. So, bump
Both Childs and Macready were human. Well, according to the video game sequel. Carpenter endorses the game. Childs froze to death and Mac made it out alive.

Both Childs and Macready were human. Well, according to the video game sequel. Carpenter endorses the game. Childs froze to death and Mac made it out alive.

I still like to think 1 of them was the thing. Its just more fun that way. Most likely Childs.

I still like to think 1 of them was the thing. Its just more fun that way. Most likely Childs.
Wells Childs still had an earing in. And both him and Mac still had a twinkle in their eyes. Not dead black eyes like Palmer or Bennings thing. The ending is left ambigious for a reason. Theme of paranoia and all around dread.

Wells Childs still had an earing in. And both him and Mac still had a twinkle in their eyes. Not dead black eyes like Palmer or Bennings thing. The ending is left ambigious for a reason. Theme of paranoia and all around dread.

I didn't notice palmer or bennetts thing eyes

No reason to attack right away either.
Assimilating is it's goal. At that point there is no reason to be sly about it. They are the only two left.

It wants to make it out of there. Two bodies doubles it's chances. It wouldn't just sit there and have a conversation for no reason.

Awesome movie btw.

lol, literally amazed that this old movie which I loved and watched at least 20 times would garner so much attention after all this time.
the ending scenes are exemplary and definitive of the ongoing theme of the film, zero deviation.
"IT" goes on and "it" goes on.

unbelievable no sequels after all these years.

I didn't notice palmer or bennetts thing eyes
Duck
thething2.jpg

Duck
b891b97e1513ded5b480104a4bb51c6af1d68429.jpg

Goose
bdefbe0fd7e8f87b4bd1bb5249771e77f3ea0048.jpg

No reason to attack right away either.

Well, what was its reason for attacking then??? The smartest thing it could have done was take over one life form and eventually go back to the populated world without the others being any the wiser.

Shortly after, they awaken from cryosleep realizing it was a terrifying hypersleep dream

WAR SCI FI

Back